iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: 2016 US Nationals  (Read 12420 times)

jmadrigal

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
Re: 2016 US Nationals
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2016, 03:15:40 PM »

I checked earlier today and also couldn't see the registration area because of the NYYL account. I plan to show up around 2ish to the finals location. I will come prepared just in case. If anything to throw tops in the parking lot :)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2016, 04:33:16 PM »

I checked earlier today and also couldn't see the registration area because of the NYYL account. I plan to show up around 2ish to the finals location. I will come prepared just in case. If anything to throw tops in the parking lot :)
I hope you meet several players and you throw lots of tops. Topper77 (Derek) and phrawg2001 (Davin) were there last year. Ian Smith was a guy who said he could compete this year. And I imagine Mike Durdak will be there competing in 4A and can always cool down by throwing tops. Steve Brown and Miguel Correa are other possible people to throw tops with. And you will be able to play with Dazzling Dave and his large homemade tops.

But I don't think that there can be a valid national title competition if it is not announced beforehand!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 10:49:58 AM by ta0 »

studio42

• Studio42 - Professional Audio Services
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2016, 04:15:18 AM »

I'll be there and I will have some tops on me. However, I may not be available as I'm working the event.
Chris Pickett, owner of Studio42 - Live Sound Production
http://www.studio42.com - Official Sound Production for CalStates  & BAC 2012-2017 and BEYOND!
Sound Provider for US National YoYoContest 2016
Cell/Text: 916-601-7089

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2016, 02:27:29 PM »

YO !

any news from the contest ?
top action....                                               ??

jim
"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

studio42

« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2016, 07:36:15 PM »

All I can share is that I was running sound and production and that kept me busy.

I did run into Dave as he was one of the judges and he had that new white delrin top he made(the 3.5" one) and it looked amazing in person. I swear, it looked and felt flawless. The next day as I was taking a break during the sporting division, Dave was talking to Hans and someone else and had the new YYF Elect-Trick with the new on/off switch and Dave told me I had to give it a try. It's hard to say "no" to that. So, I did. Played just as good as the "regular" and older LED versions. Hans said he was done with those other switches and I said "I agree. When they get stuck you gotta do all sots of things to resolve the issue. Switches re much better." I asked Hans when they would be out and while no "firm" answer was given, he said they were in the warehouse and would be likely going out soon. I said I would definitely get one, but the reality is I'll probably get 2. Neat new colors too!

I saw Dave and Michael Durdak playing with the 3.5" delrin top.

I didn't really have time to play much of anything as sound kept me busy.

Right now, and looking at this in a larger scope, they really figured out their time issues for running the event, leaving really not much time for spin tops for the main stage. 1A went longer than a regular division due to the use of "interview" videos played before player performances. Even so, I honestly think that to make it worth the time to do spin tops, I think they'd want to see at least 5 competitors, 3 at the very minimum. I don't want to have spin tops be on the prelims stage. I will say that if I get the gig for next year and the room and services are needed, I will stay as long as needed to run production in the prelims room. But, as I said, I don't have that secured yet and that will be determined maybe in a month or more. All I can say is what I'm willing to do if it does happen. I can even have competitors send their music directly to me but I would prefer it goes through the regular music upload system for tracking purposes.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 06:58:38 PM by studio42 »

jmadrigal

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2016, 09:10:12 PM »

Well I was there and got to meet some fantastic people. Dazzling Dave let me throw a bunch of his tops, I spoke with Kyle about 3D printing and I also met phrawg2001 (Davin). I let as many people as I could throw the printed tops I brought along. I definitely think the competition could have happened with the people that were there. I had fun but not seeing tops on the stage really bummed me out. I hope next year we can get something organized with enough time.

One big highlight for me was getting to see Dave Bazan again. It's been along time since I have seen him and he was one of the first friends I made in the community back around 2001. 
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 08:07:27 AM by jmadrigal »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2016, 10:09:16 PM »

Well I was there and got to meet some fantastic people. Dave let me throw a bunch of his tops, I spoke with Kyle about 3D printing and I also met phrawg2001 (Davin). I let as many people as I could throw the printed tops I brought along. I definitely think the competition could have happened with the people that were there. I had fun but not seeing tops on the stage really bummed me out. I hope next year we can get something organized with enough time.

One big highlight for me was getting to see Dave Bazan again. It's been along time since I have seen him and he was one of the first friends I made in the community back around 2001. 

Dave Bazan was there? Wow! He hasn't been in a contest for at least 5 years. Did he throw any tops?
I understand your disappointment. Did you hear from anybody who had wanted to compete?
I am hopeful that next year we will have a good contest. I'll do my best to come.

The next thing is to plan for a replacement remote contest for this year title. I will start a poll and send emails next week to see who is interested.

jmadrigal

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2016, 10:58:03 PM »

I sadly didn't get to throw tops with Dave. But I was nice to see him. I had heard he disappeared so I knew I was lucky to see him.
No one talked about competing outright but I saw enough people there with ability. Just makes me wonder why we can't get them to compete. Possibly with more notice and advertisements, we could catch a few more players.

dazzlingdave

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
    • dazzlingdave.com
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2016, 09:20:21 PM »

It was a fun Yo-Yo Contest. I was judging a lot, but did my best to talk with as many people as I could, and I always had my tops with me to try to get people to play.

It was a bit sad to see that at the hotel there were VERY few top players. I did not see hardly anyone playing without me coming up to them to ask or work with them.

I was pleasantly surprised at how many people were good at it. There were quite a few yo-yo players who asked to try out my 3 1/2 delrin fixed top, and were good with it! I cannot remember all the names, but Dave Bazan, Hans, John Wolf, Dennis Shatter, Mike Durdak of course, and I think Philip White??? It was funny, almost anyone who asked to use it was better then me.....but not super interested in competing or pushing the limits of tops.

When at the Performance Center there were more players, Davin, Jose, and even Mark Hayward showed up. It was cool seeing Jose's 3D printed tops. I can see a lot of potential for making larger tops with this technology. Light weight, yet super strong!
I did not get much time to throw at the Center, as that was the time for all of the finals, and I had to judge.

Overall it was a fun time. I wish we could have run the Top contest, but not enough players who are PASSIONATE about tops to run the contest.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2016, 09:57:03 PM »

Thanks for the reports.  I am interested in hearing what goes on out there but it seems like I am never able to attend.  I appreciate getting the inside scoop from everyone.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

studio42

« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2016, 12:50:05 AM »

It was a fun Yo-Yo Contest. I was judging a lot, but did my best to talk with as many people as I could, and I always had my tops with me to try to get people to play.

It was a bit sad to see that at the hotel there were VERY few top players. I did not see hardly anyone playing without me coming up to them to ask or work with them.

I know what you mean. While I had my Sophia and a Quicksilver Hybrid(Fixed) in my cargo shorts pockets, the only time I thew a top was when you stopped me on the way to make a phone call to one of my employees. If it wasn't for the fact I had to run sound, I'd have spent way more time out throwing tops.

For me, I'm passionate about this toy, but competition isn't what I'm in this for. My skills have also somewhat stalled. If I could do a lot more, I would be inclined to perhaps try to fill in a spot for spin tops, but I can't fill 1 minute, much less 3 minutes! I guess that it might become an objective to push harder and develop a routine so its available in case its needed.

Also, for me, it's a bit odd to throw a top around what I would consider peers since I'm mostly throwing for myself at the park. I was just glad my first throw went well, but I almost messed up the corkscrew, exiting kinda sloppy but I landed it!

I will try to step up my game. I can't promise any sort of objective timeline but I will push harder.

yollector

« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2016, 12:55:01 AM »

Another tradition down
    The toilet / Sad  :-[ :-[
          RFC

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2016, 10:29:30 AM »

There were quite a few yo-yo players who asked to try out my 3 1/2 delrin fixed top, and were good with it! I cannot remember all the names, but Dave Bazan, Hans, John Wolf, Dennis Shatter, Mike Durdak of course, and I think Philip White??? It was funny, almost anyone who asked to use it was better then me.....but not super interested in competing or pushing the limits of tops.

When at the Performance Center there were more players, Davin, Jose, and even Mark Hayward showed up.
Overall it was a fun time. I wish we could have run the Top contest, but not enough players who are PASSIONATE about tops to run the contest.

Was Mark there? He had initially signed up to compete at worlds but because of other stuff in his life he could not practice. If I had known I would have push him to compete at nats. I don't think I know Phillip White, but I see he won 4A. Ian Smith was 6th and Mike Durdak was 9th in the same division. John Wolfe (also on the Figaro Gallery) was first on 5A. We have lost many excellent possible top competitors to 4A (which because of the string is not attached to the yo-yo is probably the most related division to tops) and 5A (second most related division). Another one from years past that we lost to 4A was Bryan Figueroa. And of course, Miguel Correa to 5A. Perhaps if we had the top contest after the yo-yo finals we could get them to compete.

Another tradition down
    The toilet / Sad  :-[ :-[
          RFC

The tradition skipped a heartbeat or two but has not been pronounced dead. We will resurrect it, battles and all.  :)

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2016, 12:03:29 PM »

hello everybody ,
thank you for the reports
anyone saw Mark Mc Bride ?

The tradition skipped a heartbeat or two but has not been pronounced dead. We will resurrect it, battles and all.  :)

on the whole my project to drag the ITSA energy toward a national/world spintop festival, in which the competition in freestyle will be accompanied by other activities, seems to match the present situation

1 day 2 days : it's too short
ideally :
 wednesday thursday : workshops in schools
friday : spinning in town, in parks,one flashmob + grand opening
saturday :contests+outdoor activities+woodturning
sunday:trophies+open food and bar for participants

dreams are still free , let's profit !
 ;D ;D

jim

studio42

« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2016, 03:57:33 PM »

hello everybody ,
thank you for the reports
anyone saw Mark Mc Bride ?

Yes, Mark was there. I talked to him for a minute during a break during Prelims.