iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: 3D Printed Top  (Read 139633 times)

CUPER

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
Re: 3D Printed Top
« Reply #285 on: January 15, 2018, 07:32:39 PM »

Muy interesante,suena genial felicidades relanpago

butterfingers

• ITSA Jr.
  • "Non-marketable skills are my specialty"
« Reply #286 on: January 15, 2018, 08:22:36 PM »

Posting the 3D files was very kind of you to do. Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 08:27:46 PM by butterfingers »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #287 on: January 15, 2018, 10:27:16 PM »

It has been a project of mine for a long time to put gyro on a top, but I never got started. You almost have it!
My dream was one with wireless connection to have "regen telemetry"  ;D But if it just controlled a light to show when it's regenerating (e.g., blue when losing spin, red when gaining spin) it would be wonderful!

Is U3 the accelerometer? If that's the case, it looks to be about 2 cm from the center. If I calculated correctly, it will see a radial acceleration when spinning at 2,000 RPM of about 100 times the acceleration of gravity. The linear acceleration due to regens would on the order of gravity, so the error would be small. Ideally you could use two accelerometers on opposite side of the center, and then average their values (assuming they point in opposite directions) before calculating the spin rate. Of course, better would be to have a gyro chip, but I don't think they make them for such high rotation rates.

This is very exciting!

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #288 on: January 16, 2018, 08:57:28 AM »

It has been a project of mine for a long time to put gyro on a top, but I never got started. You almost have it!
My dream was one with wireless connection to have "regen telemetry"  ;D But if it just controlled a light to show when it's regenerating (e.g., blue when losing spin, red when gaining spin) it would be wonderful!

Is U3 the accelerometer? If that's the case, it looks to be about 2 cm from the center. If I calculated correctly, it will see a radial acceleration when spinning at 2,000 RPM of about 100 times the acceleration of gravity. The linear acceleration due to regens would on the order of gravity, so the error would be small. Ideally you could use two accelerometers on opposite side of the center, and then average their values (assuming they point in opposite directions) before calculating the spin rate. Of course, better would be to have a gyro chip, but I don't think they make them for such high rotation rates.

This is very exciting!

Regeneration telemetry in a small costless top would be amazing. If one could do the module to fit it into say a Grande or a YYE top it would be amazing!
Spinning is life!!!!

jmadrigal

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #289 on: January 16, 2018, 08:17:13 PM »

This is very exciting!
U3 is the accelerometer. You have a keen eye  :D it is about 19mm from the center of the board.
I toyed around with many ideas before settling on just the one accelerometer. It gets complicated and time consuming quickly. This was a revA to get going but depending on interest it could grow in the future. I am excited about this. I will try different things with the accelerometer.

Regeneration telemetry in a small costless top would be amazing. If one could do the module to fit it into say a Grande or a YYE top it would be amazing!
This won't have telemetry but it does fit in a Trompo Grande.

Mermouy

• ITSA
  • Spintop lover, spinning since 2015...
    • Spintop Tips and Tricks
« Reply #290 on: January 20, 2018, 08:48:45 AM »

I will definitly need one/or more of these couples (translucent top + board)!!!
Fore sure add me as a customer for the next prints...

jmadrigal

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #291 on: January 27, 2018, 10:31:34 AM »

Just an update on my plans for this year.

I will be moving forward on the RGB accelerometer PCB. I am curently buying parts for the build.
I will do my best to keep the price as affordable as I can. I expect it to cost about $35 + tax +shipping. The board kit will come with a mounting bracket, battery and screws to mount the board to the bracket. I will also offer a Trompo Grande mounting option. More to come as I get things figured out.

Also for those who wanted the stainless steel tips for large tops. I ordered more but expect a 2 month delay in delivery. I will let you know when they arrive.

I have been working on a new top. Slightly larger than 3" in diameter. It will be offered with the RGB board integrated. I am currently prototyping. I also designed a larger stainless tip for this top that bolts in.

Thanks to all that have purchased from me and make new items possible. I will also try and get a shirt made this spring. Not enough top shirts there.

Jose

Turegano

• ITSA Jr.
  • Turegano
« Reply #292 on: January 27, 2018, 11:49:48 AM »

Just an update on my plans for this year.

I will be moving forward on the RGB accelerometer PCB. I am curently buying parts for the build.
I will do my best to keep the price as affordable as I can. I expect it to cost about $35 + tax +shipping. The board kit will come with a mounting bracket, battery and screws to mount the board to the bracket. I will also offer a Trompo Grande mounting option. More to come as I get things figured out.

Also for those who wanted the stainless steel tips for large tops. I ordered more but expect a 2 month delay in delivery. I will let you know when they arrive.

I have been working on a new top. Slightly larger than 3" in diameter. It will be offered with the RGB board integrated. I am currently prototyping. I also designed a larger stainless tip for this top that bolts in.

Thanks to all that have purchased from me and make new items possible. I will also try and get a shirt made this spring. Not enough top shirts there.

Jose
If you want I can support you in the manufacture of t-shirts and souvenirs like keychains, magnets, medals, diplomas and I want to ask you how much your spin tops cost

TROMPO MEXICO

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #293 on: January 27, 2018, 05:49:51 PM »

Sounds great Jose!

Will I be able to reprogram the microprocessor? Open source?  ;)

jmadrigal

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #294 on: January 27, 2018, 09:11:53 PM »

If you want I can support you in the manufacture of t-shirts and souvenirs like keychains, magnets, medals, diplomas and I want to ask you how much your spin tops cost
Thanks, there is a local shirt place I was going to check out but I will keep you in mind.
The top prices depend on size and how long they take to print. The longer they take tha harder and more potential for failure. I use ABS and PETG currently. ABS is great for larger tops since it is less dense so it keeps the top lighter. ABS warps though so it is tougher to print.
The 3" tops I have been making take over 10 hours. I sell those for $80. This includes tax and shipping in the US. There are some images in this thread of what the packaging looks like. The new tops that will replace these will be a little larger and have steel tips. These tops are very stable and great for regenerative play.
The 4.5" tops sell for $185 shipped. They take over 24 hours to print and are difficult. I think they are the lightest tops in this size and are hard to beat for performance. I can play with these for a long time and not wear out my hands. I love them and I hope those who have them are enjoying them as well.
I want to use nylon but this material is even more difficult to print. It is practically indistructable thought. I have made a few. I will be doing some testing.

Sounds great Jose!

I will have to think about that one. I didn't know you could program. You are a man of many talents.

Turegano

• ITSA Jr.
  • Turegano
« Reply #295 on: January 28, 2018, 09:26:38 AM »

hello jose I here I have the 3d machine because I use it to make masters of my crafts and they are not so complicated and I really admire your work and I want you to know that I know how difficult it is to impress 3d I had tried many times but without success and now I can achieve it after 100 attempts my design is a little more curved than yours and your impression is more stable but I really know how complicated it is I have many hours of work in trial and error you know what I'm talking about because you have more hours in this of the 3d spin but good jose what I can share with you later I open the door of all my knowledge in fiberglass and resins and handicrafts I am for what you need and I am available for medals souvenirs crafts design graphic and print what you need I can help you without any problem and thanks for sharing your ingenuity do not forget the light system we talk about

hola  jose  yo aca  tengo la maquina 3d  por que la ocupo para hacer los masters de mis artesanias y no son tan complicadas y en verdad admiro tu trabajo  y  quiero  que sepas que  yo se lo dificil que esla impresionen 3d  lo habia  intentado muchas veces pero sin exito  y  ahora  ya  lo logre despues de 100 intentos  mi diseño es un poco mas curvo queel tuyo  y su impresion es mas estable pero de verdad se lo complicado que es  llevo  muchas  horas de trabajo  en prueba  y error  sabes de lo que te hablo pues  llevas  mas  horas en esto de el trompo 3d pero bueno jose  lo que  yo pueda compartir contigo adelante te abro la puerta de todo mi conocimiento en fibra de vidrio y  resinas y productos artesanales   estoy para lo que necesites   y me pongo a dispocicion  para medallas  souvenirs  artesanias  diseño grafico  e impresion lo que necesites  te puedo ayudar sin ningun problema  y gracias por compartir tu ingenio  no olvides el sitema de luz  que platicamos

Turegano

• ITSA Jr.
  • Turegano
« Reply #296 on: February 07, 2018, 05:31:38 PM »

Thanks, there is a local shirt place I was going to check out but I will keep you in mind.
The top prices depend on size and how long they take to print. The longer they take tha harder and more potential for failure. I use ABS and PETG currently. ABS is great for larger tops since it is less dense so it keeps the top lighter. ABS warps though so it is tougher to print.
The 3" tops I have been making take over 10 hours. I sell those for $80. This includes tax and shipping in the US. There are some images in this thread of what the packaging looks like. The new tops that will replace these will be a little larger and have steel tips. These tops are very stable and great for regenerative play.
The 4.5" tops sell for $185 shipped. They take over 24 hours to print and are difficult. I think they are the lightest tops in this size and are hard to beat for performance. I can play with these for a long time and not wear out my hands. I love them and I hope those who have them are enjoying them as well.
I want to use nylon but this material is even more difficult to print. It is practically indistructable thought. I have made a few. I will be doing some testing.

Sounds great Jose!

I will have to think about that one. I didn't know you could program. You are a man of many talents.
hello jose look what I can do here in Mexico if you want you can pass me the measurements of the diameters you need and I help you with the manufacture for your spins here is cheaper the material is called col roll and is tropicalized and then chromed to have that finish but it's cheaper than steel

hola jose  mira que logre hacer aca en mexico si quieres puedes pasarme las medidas de los diametros que necesites  y te ayudo con la fabricacion  para tus trompos aca es mas  barato  el material se llama col roll  y es tropicalizado y despues cromado para que tengan ese acabado pero es  mas barato que el acero

jmadrigal

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #297 on: March 31, 2018, 10:07:08 PM »

I apologize for not posting much this year. I have taken on much and am slowly making my way to my goals for the year. I have received new tips, working on new designs, putting together some video, building the PCBs I promised this year and have been teaching classes around town.

Here are some images. 

« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 10:10:15 PM by jmadrigal »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #298 on: April 01, 2018, 12:33:25 PM »

Relampago is going full steam ahead!  8)

Does the smallest tip fit a Spintastics?

Any new features you want to disclose of the PCB?

cecil

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #299 on: April 01, 2018, 12:42:51 PM »

What kind of  classes are you teaching?