iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: 3D Printed Top  (Read 139622 times)

jmadrigal

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
Re: 3D Printed Top
« Reply #150 on: April 23, 2017, 12:36:26 AM »

The new top looks FANTASTIC. How much would one of these tops sell for? If you sold them? I told Dale at Spintastic, he should make the Trompo Granda in a four inch style. I think he said the mold would cost $ 40.000 ? I'm a retired Machinist and I hate mold making. I have about 25 large trick tops that I have made new strings for, only three more to go. I haven't been able to get to the shop for thee months now - and I miss making tops and tips. I can't find any top throwers in San Jose. Pop top and Spin queen live about 30 miles away and I haven't seen them in two years.
Thanks Cecil,
People have shown interest in these tops so I need to find a good answer to the price question. Printing is a finikey buisness. I had a 10 hour print fail on me today due to a clogged nozzle. 
I uploaded this design to an online manufacturer so I could see what they would charge for an ABS print. They quoted me $157 for the 3inch diameter top. I also uploaded my 4.5inch design and they quoted over $400.  :(
I wouldn't mind making a small run of this top to raise some money for my Iceland trip. I would just have to find a reasonable price point.
It would be great to injection mold a large top ,but molds are expensive. There probly isn't a large enough market for that to work either.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 06:25:18 PM by jmadrigal »

jmadrigal

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #151 on: April 23, 2017, 08:38:49 AM »

Over the next week I will be printing some tops that I will make available. I will post pictures of the tops after they are made. I am thinking about 8 to 10 tops in this run so it will take me a bit. As I posted earlier I was quoted $157 to print this top but I think that could be better. I think that this run will be priced at $80ea shipped.

jmadrigal

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #152 on: April 25, 2017, 09:31:28 PM »

Here are the first two I am sending out tomorrow.

cecil

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #153 on: April 25, 2017, 11:15:43 PM »

What is the diameter of the top please. And $ 80.00 is a great price. If I had money ( RETIRED ) I would order two. If I made four inch hallow tops for sale I would charge at least $ 350.00. If you want something nice pay the price. Or make it your self. OR DO WITHOUT.

studio42

• Studio42 - Professional Audio Services
« Reply #154 on: April 26, 2017, 04:30:34 AM »

I think those quoted prices are reflective of the state of the technology. It's been around long enough where it's no longer bleeding or even leading edge anymore. I think until places can find ways to get their "rapid prototyping" technology prices a lot lower, I don't see places budging for a few years.

This sure does beat the cost of a mold. Your logic is sound though. The scale and demand isn't there to justify such costs. At the same time, I think your work here in the world of printed precision skill toys is really good for proving that it can be done and done properly.

I wouldn't mind paying $80 for one of those models. I'd have to wait until after BAC either way.
Chris Pickett, owner of Studio42 - Live Sound Production
http://www.studio42.com - Official Sound Production for CalStates  & BAC 2012-2017 and BEYOND!
Sound Provider for US National YoYoContest 2016
Cell/Text: 916-601-7089

jmadrigal

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #155 on: April 28, 2017, 09:09:54 PM »

What is the diameter of the top please. And $ 80.00 is a great price. If I had money ( RETIRED ) I would order two. If I made four inch hallow tops for sale I would charge at least $ 350.00. If you want something nice pay the price. Or make it your self. OR DO WITHOUT.
Cecil,
Just saw your question. The $80 top is 3" in diameter. I like this size because it feels like a large top but still plays a nimble as a small top. It takes about 10 hours to print so it ties up the machine for a bit. I also include some string and a printed button.
I would have to charge around $200 for a 4.5" diameter top. They take well over 20 hours to print which makes the potential for a failed print even higher. I have had about 3 to 4 failed prints (tops I wouldn't sell because of print quality) in the 3" size. No fun! Waste time and material, but they become my players if it's just cosmetic.

jmadrigal

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #156 on: April 28, 2017, 09:16:25 PM »

I wouldn't mind paying $80 for one of those models. I'd have to wait until after BAC either way.
Just hit me up when you can. If people are interested and like the tops I make, I will try to accommodate.

lincolnrick

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #157 on: May 06, 2017, 01:17:07 PM »

This arrived at my house lately. What a fine top this is. I shall play it with care until I can fortify it?

Thank you JMardrigal for a sweet spin.

studio42

• Studio42 - Professional Audio Services
« Reply #158 on: May 06, 2017, 02:53:52 PM »

This arrived at my house lately. What a fine top this is. I shall play it with care until I can fortify it?

My internet is slow today, but it was worth the time it took to load up the full sized picture. That looks really nice.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 06:54:57 PM by studio42 »

jmadrigal

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #159 on: May 06, 2017, 03:08:17 PM »

The crown is the most delicate part of the top. I haven't had issues but if you hit the crown you can delaminate it. I increased the size of the crown to help strengthen it. If it delaminates it can be fixed, but I recommend dipping the crown in clear epoxy(I used Gorilla brand). I tried it on a couple of the tops and I think this will protect the sensitive area from damage. I usually only play on grass or carpet to protect the tips anyway.

You are welcome for the top. I pretty much have only played with this design since I made it. It's the top I used in this video.   
https://youtu.be/e71rpHvr12A
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 05:37:40 PM by ta0 »

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #160 on: May 06, 2017, 03:32:30 PM »

Wow!  Lots of good spinning in lots of good places.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

jmadrigal

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #161 on: May 06, 2017, 11:16:19 PM »

So after many months of not having my larger printer, it's finally back and running. Now I am able to try ideas I have been wanting to print for a while. Here is my update to the 4.5" top. It has a few upgrades. The shoulder around the crown is a 45deg angle so it prints nice. I added a weight ring feature to the inside. This allows the insertion of up to two rings, to add extra weight around the widest part of the top. It comes in at 202gm without a weight ring inserted. I am using plastic coated steel cable for the weight ring. You can find this at Home Depot. I am making more of this one.

http://

cecil

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #162 on: May 07, 2017, 01:22:30 AM »

I don't like the looks of the 45 degree top - but they play better to me. Why? Because you can use a thinner string. And that adds SPEED - and SPEED is GOOD. Myself I like a 13 oz. top.

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #163 on: May 07, 2017, 01:01:08 PM »

My beautiful yellow 3" came signed and dated inside by the master! Don't have much basis for comparison, but I love the shape and feel and heft. The fine outer surface texture reminds me of a diffraction grating. It's nice to the touch and gives the top an interesting sheen in the right light. Guessing it might be good for string traction, too.

As an erratic throw-top beginner, I should probably play it safe and give mine the epoxy treatment. Can't wait to play it, but Plan A is to hold off till I can boomerang the already beat-up Saturno Larry kindly sent me. Upright landings are still hit-and-miss, and unlike you guys, I can't bet on soft landings.  :P

« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 01:08:01 PM by Jeremy McCreary »
Art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time ... and with spinning tops, we decorate both.
—after Jean-Michel Basquiat, 1960-1988

Everything in the world is strange and marvelous to well-open eyes.
—Jose Ortega y Gasset, 1883-1955

jmadrigal

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #164 on: May 07, 2017, 03:33:29 PM »

I don't like the looks of the 45 degree top - but they play better to me. Why? Because you can use a thinner string. And that adds SPEED - and SPEED is GOOD. Myself I like a 13 oz. top.
Cecil,
You are a tough customer ;)

My beautiful yellow 3" came signed and dated inside by the master! Don't have much basis for comparison, but I love the shape and feel and heft. The fine outer surface texture reminds me of a diffraction grating. It's nice to the touch and gives the top an interesting sheen in the right light. Guessing it might be good for string traction, too.

As an erratic throw-top beginner, I should probably play it safe and give mine the epoxy treatment. Can't wait to play it, but Plan A is to hold off till I can boomerang the already beat-up Saturno Larry kindly sent me. Upright landings are still hit-and-miss, and unlike you guys, I can't bet on soft landings.  :P
Jeremy,
If you have any issues with the crown just let me know and we will get you taken care of.