iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: 3D Printed Top  (Read 140689 times)

jmadrigal

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
Re: 3D Printed Top
« Reply #135 on: April 10, 2017, 10:23:08 PM »

oh my i like that @-@
thats very spiffy @-@
im gonna learn this asap @-@
well done sir!!!
Thanks Jack! 

Sun Chokers is a legit trick! Very nice! I think it's new.
It is not easy to come up with new regen tricks, and this should be one.
Well done!  8)

Thanks, I am happy you like it.

cecil

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #136 on: April 11, 2017, 01:50:12 AM »

If you don't have a 4 1/2 PURPLE HEART TOP. You don't know the meaning of LIFE.

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #137 on: April 11, 2017, 10:44:54 PM »

I do something similar to jmadrigal's Sun Chokers, but the way he tugs from the loop in his left hand is better than my version.  I do mine here at 0:40:

jmadrigal I got your tips today, they are lovely! Now I just need to make a top or two to put them in  ;D

jmadrigal

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #138 on: April 14, 2017, 04:13:02 PM »

Here we go again.

jmadrigal

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #139 on: April 16, 2017, 10:01:31 PM »

If your bored.....

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #140 on: April 16, 2017, 10:30:39 PM »

Absolutely riveting!   ;D

Actually pretty interesting to watch the top build up. Why is everything blue?
Art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time ... and with spinning tops, we decorate both.
—after Jean-Michel Basquiat, 1960-1988

Everything in the world is strange and marvelous to well-open eyes.
—Jose Ortega y Gasset, 1883-1955

jmadrigal

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #141 on: April 16, 2017, 10:59:36 PM »

I have seen many tops printed and I still love watching the printer go.

As far as the question. The printer is blue, I use blue painters tape for the build surface and I happen to be using blue PETG.

jmadrigal

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #142 on: April 21, 2017, 07:17:15 PM »

I have been busy working on a new design. I would say I have about 70 hours of printing in this design dialed in. This one is based on the Spintastics Quicksilver tips. I absolutely love this top. I have made quite a few revs and settled in on about 94gms (with the tip installed). It's amazing how as little as 5gms can make a difference. The top  is 3" in diameter and works just fine with the same string as the Quicksilver. It plays relaxed like a large top but, it is maneuverable like a small top. This is keeper. 

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #143 on: April 21, 2017, 07:27:24 PM »

I have been busy working on a new design. I would say I have about 70 hours of printing in this design dialed in. This one is based on the Spintastics Quicksilver tips. I absolutely love this top. I have made quite a few revs and settled in on about 94gms (with the tip installed). It's amazing how as little as 5gms can make a difference. The top  is 3" in diameter and works just fine with the same string as the Quicksilver. It plays relaxed like a large top but, it is maneuverable like a small top. This is keeper. 

that is a legit beautiful design @-@
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 12:06:08 AM by ta0 »

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #144 on: April 21, 2017, 07:31:30 PM »

Beautiful work, too!

Love how small differences in the top itself lead to big differences in top behavior. Could you elaborate from experience with this particular top?

Would you recommend a top like this to a beginner? Sounds ideal in some ways, but perhaps only for a skilled player like you.

jmadrigal

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #145 on: April 21, 2017, 09:20:00 PM »

Beautiful work, too!

Love how small differences in the top itself lead to big differences in top behavior. Could you elaborate from experience with this particular top?

Would you recommend a top like this to a beginner? Sounds ideal in some ways, but perhaps only for a skilled player like you.
Thanks!
I was extremely surprised how the small difference in weight mattered to me. There is a fine balance between too heavy (now I need a thicker string) and too light that I can't regenerate how I want. On a side note, I think that a tip has an ideal string thickness that complements it. This is all very subjective, but I feel like a cook, and I am salting the food the way I like it.

Would I recommend this top to a beginner? The answer is yes, and this is my long answer why ;)
I am isolated from civilization, because I live in an unhospitable environment (near the Mohave desert). Needless to say there isn't a top spinner for hundreds of miles. For the last 5 years, I have been organizing a local beer "tasking" group in my town. Ever since I went hard core into tops, I thought a battle top completion would be a great event for our tastings. I had all the members in our group ( eight of us) buy short circuits, and they had a blast. Since last fall, we have had two completions, and we even have a roving trophy. Since all my friends are new to tops, I had to teach them all the basics.

One of my friends has earned his 8 trick patch and another is one trick away from his. As soon as I played with my new creation, I thought of my friends who are budding spinners. Since the top spins slower, like a big top, it gives you more time to think. I gave a beta version to my friend, who just earned his eight trick patch, and he was able to start doing a few roller coasters. This isn't a comic book offering the antidote to the skinny kid on the beach, getting sand kicked in his face. I am merely saying that if you are serious about spinning, this top will give you more time which helps. Although for an advanced player, I feel that this top could open doors. It has for me. I love it.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #146 on: April 22, 2017, 12:19:52 AM »

Wonderful top, fantastic work behind it and a wonderful story about converting others into top spinners!
Super-great job!!!  8) 8) 8)

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #147 on: April 22, 2017, 12:43:14 AM »

This is such a great thread, thank you.

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #148 on: April 22, 2017, 04:36:49 PM »

Thanks!
I was extremely surprised how the small difference in weight mattered to me. There is a fine balance between too heavy (now I need a thicker string) and too light that I can't regenerate how I want. On a side note, I think that a tip has an ideal string thickness that complements it. This is all very subjective, but I feel like a cook, and I am salting the food the way I like it....

Love that salt line. As a rank beginner at throwing tops, I found the story quite inspirational.

cecil

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #149 on: April 22, 2017, 05:15:07 PM »

The new top looks FANTASTIC. How much would one of these tops sell for? If you sold them? I told Dale at Spintastic, he should make the Trompo Granda in a four inch style. I think he said the mold would cost $ 40.000 ? I'm a retired Machinist and I hate mold making. I have about 25 large trick tops that I have made new strings for, only three more to go. I haven't been able to get to the shop for thee months now - and I miss making tops and tips. I can't find any top throwers in San Jose. Pop top and Spin queen live about 30 miles away and I haven't seen them in two years.