iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: 3D Printed Top  (Read 140535 times)

jmadrigal

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
Re: 3D Printed Top
« Reply #120 on: April 01, 2017, 09:12:50 PM »

When I printed the yellow one, I noticed a crack between layers about 28mm from the tip. This is caused from the warping that occurs (from temperature change)  while printing ABS. I threw it and one drop cracked the top. I figured I could glue it together, but then decided it would be more interesting with the tip on the top "crownless". I was amazed it actually worked well, and I think I liked it better. This was a great discovery for me and opened a new door for top shapes. I am currently printing a green PETG version that is based on this shape. While the yellow one is just taped together with electrical tape, it is a fantastic top.
The green top in the video is a similar shape to what the yellow top was supposed to be, just a bit lighter and different weight distribution. I like the green one a lot as well. It is basically the red top I made lengthened by about 12mm.
The red top is great but had a vibration that was intensified when I made heavier versions. This made me question the design and what variables I could use to accurately predict if a shape will be stable or not. I am going to find the center of gravity for a few of the tops I have made to see if this is a predictor for stability. I figure I will take a few of the good players and compare them with some of the versions with vibration.

I am sure some of the people turning wooden tops have gone over this. I would love to hear some advice on design.
I would be open to a collaboration if people have ideas on shapes I am not thinking of.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #121 on: April 01, 2017, 10:10:19 PM »

I hope that you are aware that because of a long standing tradition, the judges give 10 extra points to players who use yellow tops and deduct 10 points from players who use green tops. It is a long (and sad) story but we have very good historic reasons for promoting one color and discouraging the other. That's why you never see green tops used in the freestyles.

Happy April's Fool Day

jmadrigal

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #122 on: April 01, 2017, 10:28:24 PM »

I hope that you are aware that because of a long standing tradition, the judges give 10 extra points to players who use yellow tops and deduct 10 points from players who use green tops. It is a long (and sad) story but we have very good historic reasons for promoting one color and discouraging the other. That's why you never see green tops used in the freestyles.

Happy April's Fool Day
Now you have me intrigued. So If I do identical freestyles with each color top I can have a perfect golf score.  :)

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #123 on: April 05, 2017, 12:22:07 AM »

I purchased a fidget spinner from the store known as Learning Express.  It is pretty interesting but more fascinating (to me) is to watch the reactions of children around me as I spin it and do some simple tricks.  One of the best things I do is with a pencil or stem and turn the spinner into a top.  People always seem interested in that. 

The connection to this thread is the fact that this fidget spinner was obviously made on a 3D printer.  I did not notice that until I got home.  I want to go back to the store and see how many in the display were made by 3D printers (there were 40-50 in the display cases).
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #124 on: April 05, 2017, 11:25:23 AM »

So I printed a green PETG top and an ABS yellow top.
The ABS top had adhesion issues between some layers and end up breaking during a throw. So I made lemonade and a video.

https://youtu.be/4IBXMP9_F_c

first let me say you are a sneeky fellow there eh, i had no idea youre that that legit skilled with a Top dear sir @-@

secondly your designs are looking awsome @-@

thirdly what in the world is the trick at 3:42??? it looks like a variation of "joker choker" but ive never seen that done before, is there any chance you could record a close up of that??? i beg of yee dear sir, i must learn your ways, your kung fu is very strong @-@

he makes his own tops, he makes his own strings, he makes freestyle vids like it was nothin...............i like this man @-@

jmadrigal

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #125 on: April 05, 2017, 08:45:35 PM »

first let me say you are a sneeky fellow there eh, i had no idea youre that that legit skilled with a Top dear sir @-@
secondly your designs are looking awsome @-@
Thanks Jack.

thirdly what in the world is the trick at 3:42??? it looks like a variation of "joker choker" but ive never seen that done before, is there any chance you could record a close up of that??? i beg of yee dear sir, i must learn your ways, your kung fu is very strong @-@
That trick is a compact variation on Joker Choker with a little Sun thrown in. I will try and get a close up of this for you. Stay tuned.....

jmadrigal

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #126 on: April 05, 2017, 09:44:41 PM »

I purchased a fidget spinner from the store known as Learning Express.  It is pretty interesting but more fascinating (to me) is to watch the reactions of children around me as I spin it and do some simple tricks.  One of the best things I do is with a pencil or stem and turn the spinner into a top.  People always seem interested in that. 

The connection to this thread is the fact that this fidget spinner was obviously made on a 3D printer.  I did not notice that until I got home.  I want to go back to the store and see how many in the display were made by 3D printers (there were 40-50 in the display cases).
I have been tempted to print one of these but when my machine is busy with 18hour prints, it's hard to find the time :D

cecil

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #127 on: April 06, 2017, 12:29:27 AM »

The show is FANTASTIC. All that regenerating to a triple stairway to Heaven. Amazing. The two tops play beautiful - I do like the green one better. Hopefully a dog will run off with the other one. That thing looks DUMB. ( I GOT TO BE ME ) I would like to see some 25 foot tip catches plus the double body cork screw. Can you tell me all about the line your using?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 12:31:56 AM by cecil »

jmadrigal

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #128 on: April 06, 2017, 09:17:41 PM »

The show is FANTASTIC. All that regenerating to a triple stairway to Heaven. Amazing. The two tops play beautiful - I do like the green one better. Hopefully a dog will run off with the other one. That thing looks DUMB. ( I GOT TO BE ME ) I would like to see some 25 foot tip catches plus the double body cork screw. Can you tell me all about the line your using?

Cecil,
Thanks for the praise and the honesty. The line I am using is made from 4 groups of (4 No 10 string). It's 3mm wide and ~92inches long.
I would beg you reconsider the appearance of the yellow top with the modifications.  :D

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #129 on: April 06, 2017, 09:40:43 PM »

I just got caught up on this thread. I am so glad you have set sail on this voyage, you are the perfect person for it.  If you were an experienced wood lathe top-maker, your predisposition might shorten the process and discoveries would be missed.  I hope this is not getting too expensive for you though.  I would like to support your cause by purchasing two of those delicious tips. I pledge to check this thread more often.

jmadrigal

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #130 on: April 08, 2017, 12:17:25 PM »

I just got caught up on this thread. I am so glad you have set sail on this voyage, you are the perfect person for it.  If you were an experienced wood lathe top-maker, your predisposition might shorten the process and discoveries would be missed.  I hope this is not getting too expensive for you though.  I would like to support your cause by purchasing two of those delicious tips. I pledge to check this thread more often.
I do agree being isolated from what's going on and  figuring things out on my own, allows for new discoveries.
Design is expensive as I am sure you are aware, but I get to tailor the tops to my taste (like cooking). As long as I am having fun I will continue to explore different ideas.
Thanks Chris for the interest. Your tips will be sent out today.

To all who purchased tips, I recommend polishing them a bit on a buffing wheel. I hope you all like them as much as I do.

jmadrigal

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #131 on: April 09, 2017, 05:05:34 PM »

Here you go Jack

https://youtu.be/5ErJOgPzyCE

So Suns are at 10sec which lead to Joker Choker at 17 sec and what I call Sun Choker at 20. I include the first two tricks for reference on how I ended up doing this thing.  Hope this is what you were looking for.

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #132 on: April 09, 2017, 06:38:18 PM »

Here you go Jack

So Suns are at 10sec which lead to Joker Choker at 17 sec and what I call Sun Choker at 20. I include the first two tricks for reference on how I ended up doing this thing.  Hope this is what you were looking for.

oh my i like that @-@
thats very spiffy @-@
im gonna learn this asap @-@
well done sir!!!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 07:28:52 PM by ta0 »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #133 on: April 09, 2017, 07:31:18 PM »

Sun Chokers is a legit trick! Very nice! I think it's new.
It is not easy to come up with new regen tricks, and this should be one.
Well done!  8)

cecil

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #134 on: April 10, 2017, 04:46:19 PM »

I love the new look. She looks like she want to dance. Thanks for the line information. I just made a new line with Chris's line rig. I love the way the driver works with the C.A glue on it. I used 4- # 3 Lydia    8 - # 10 Lydia   4 Clarks xp thread x 11 feet. Four point driver.