iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: 3D Printed Top  (Read 139620 times)

jmadrigal

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
Re: 3D Printed Top
« Reply #75 on: October 30, 2016, 05:46:15 PM »

« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 10:38:26 AM by ta0 »

jmadrigal

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #76 on: November 04, 2016, 11:54:58 AM »

Made a short video for the latest project. I call her Seven. I am going to make a few more pushing the weight around. She weighs in at 184gm. It's a bit of a mashup of my past two designs. The machine has a better time printing the wider flat shoulders. I think it also feel more stable.

https://youtu.be/w3gdQCYDkV8
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 01:01:21 PM by jmadrigal »

cecil

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #77 on: November 04, 2016, 12:40:54 PM »

I use tool steal. But STAINLESS is the best for me. I've made them out of delrin but they break to easy - the big ones I make out of Aluminum with a steal point. Stainless is Worth the extra money.

jmadrigal

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #78 on: November 04, 2016, 01:04:45 PM »

Thanks Cecil, I will use stainless. I will try and make enough so that I will have extra if others need one.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #79 on: November 04, 2016, 07:34:21 PM »

Nice freestyle! Number 7 sure seems to play well!

I think several on the board would want to buy some from you if you have them made (I'll buy some). If you want, you can receive pre-orders on the buy-sell board to have a better idea.

You could now have some fun and get creative with the top printing. For example, you could print one with holes and then cover them with the soda treatment (like Holey Ta0: original, with lenses, with soda armor).

jmadrigal

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #80 on: November 04, 2016, 09:27:59 PM »

Thanks ta0. I have been working with it a bit today and was able to get "Stairway" with three wraps off regeneration. I was happy.

As far a the tips, I pulled the trigger today and ordered 30. The price isn't as cheep as 50, but it's what I was willing to part with today. I figure I will keep at least 10 and make 20 available. We can start with this tip and if people have changes that they want, we can address those on a Rev2. I will be more than happy to CAD up the changes. We can get an idea of how many people want tips before the next order. I am sorry for my impatience, but I have an amassing number of tops in need of tips  :)
For now there will be 20 available as I said before. Let me know who would like some tips. I figure the price will be $16 or so plus a buck or two for shipping. So lets say $18 shipped for 1 or $34 for 2, something like that. What say you all?

lincolnrick

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #81 on: November 04, 2016, 11:44:32 PM »

I would be in for one at least. If everyone here doesn't rush to order and take all the tops you have, I'd take a second one! Thanks for making the future available now.

Thanks DannyBoy2k.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 09:48:02 AM by lincolnrick »

DannyBoy2k

« Reply #82 on: November 05, 2016, 08:04:23 AM »

I would be in for one at least. If everyone here doesn't rush to order and take all the tops you have, I'd take a second one! Thanks for making the future available now.

lincolnrick, the way I read it, only tips were being offered for sale.  However, if there was any interest in offering a full top for sale, I would definitely be in for one.

~Dan

jmadrigal

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #83 on: November 05, 2016, 10:15:13 AM »

lincolnrick- DannyBoy2k is correct and this is just for tips. Possibly in the future I could make a few available but currently I am just having fun prototyping.

jmadrigal

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #84 on: November 05, 2016, 10:32:05 AM »

Here is a file with the critical dimensions for the top tip.

cecil

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #85 on: November 05, 2016, 10:02:06 PM »

I think I've made about 50 tips. So what you are doing is the best way to go. When you make tips on a CNC they are all the same, not so when you make them on a manual machine. If I made a tip the way you want it would be at least $ 50.00. If I had a metal lathe at home it would be $ 25.00. Steal tips are just not easy to make. Just like tops they take a lot of time.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #86 on: November 06, 2016, 10:33:10 AM »

Comparing it to the tip on my JohnM 3" top, is not too different. John's has a little thicker neck (2.3" instead of 2") but narrower overall: 0.54" instead of 0.62". John is a tad shorter (outside the body): 0.82" instead of 0.92". But they are very close.

I like it. I am in for two of them.

jmadrigal

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #87 on: November 06, 2016, 01:23:24 PM »

Comparing it to the tip on my JohnM 3" top, is not too different. John's has a little thicker neck (2.3" instead of 2") but narrower overall: 0.54" instead of 0.62". John is a tad shorter (outside the body): 0.82" instead of 0.92". But they are very close.

I like it. I am in for two of them.
Sounds good, I will let you know once I get them in. There is a 25 day lead time on these. I will keep you posted.

jmadrigal

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #88 on: November 07, 2016, 08:59:48 PM »

This weekends work. Lots of time here :o I estimate over 50 hours in print time.
The large orange top is the latest. 177gm and 4.6" in diameter. I am happy with this shape. It's very playable and stable.
Out of curiosity what do wood tops of this size usually weigh?

The smaller tops are a similar shape shrunk down the orange one with the tip is 84gm and 3" in diameter. I am using the Quicksilver tip pressed in. The grey one with the tip only weighs 44gm and is 2.9" in diameter. It is a very light tip since I used very thin walls. It is also a testament to the ABS strength since I beat the tip in with a mallet.
On the orange one with the tip, I placed the tip in as soon as the top was done and still hot. When the top cooled and shrunk a bit the tip was in tight. I was quite by chance this happened but it was neat. 

yoyospin

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
    • YoYoSpin
« Reply #89 on: November 07, 2016, 10:40:06 PM »

Have a look at the metal and plastic tips Spintastics sells. I've used hundreds of their injection molded plastic ones. They are very consistantly made: http://www.spintastics.com/spin-tops/