iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: 3D Printed Top  (Read 12439 times)

mailman

Re: 3D Printed Top
« Reply #165 on: May 07, 2017, 07:18:51 PM »

I'm interested in doing the epoxy treatment to the crown of mine, also.  Is there any other detail you can offer about the product or the process?  Any tips, tricks, or things I need to know?

Thanks for the help, the great service, and the beautiful top....

jmadrigal

« Reply #166 on: May 07, 2017, 08:16:56 PM »

I'm interested in doing the epoxy treatment to the crown of mine, also.  Is there any other detail you can offer about the product or the process?  Any tips, tricks, or things I need to know?

Thanks for the help, the great service, and the beautiful top....
I used Gorilla Epoxy.
https://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Epoxy-85-oz-Clear/dp/B001Z3C3AG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1494202413&sr=8-1&keywords=gorilla+epoxy
I just mix and use a popsicle stick to cover the crown. I hang it upside down while it dries. That's about it. Let me know if you have questions.

mailman

« Reply #167 on: May 07, 2017, 08:35:10 PM »

Thanks, I think we carry that at the store where I work.  I'll pick some up tomorrow....

cecil

• Ultrahero member
« Reply #168 on: May 08, 2017, 12:07:59 AM »

La Bella has the 45 deg. shape. Plays nice but I don't like the looks of her shape. I would put a paper bag over her while tricking but the paper flutters.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 03:18:10 AM by cecil »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #169 on: May 08, 2017, 12:19:26 AM »

La Bella has the 45 deg. shape. Plays nice but I don't like the looks of shape. I would put a paper bag over her while tricking but the paper flutters.
But you call her La Bella, young man!  ;D
It does play well. It was great that you had an appreciating public.

By the way, we will be announcing soon an ITSA raffle and one of the prizes will be a very nice 3-D printed purple top from jmadrigal. Thanks Jose!

Neff

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #170 on: May 08, 2017, 07:56:22 AM »

I am especially excited about the 4.5" top because there are so few larger tops available other than what Watts and a few others have made. I make some but my production is woefully slow the last several years.

I like the steel cable idea, will you be selling them separate or is this a suggested mod?  I have never had a good pair of snips for steel cable, might be time to invest.

Such good work sir, I am am very impressed

mailman

« Reply #171 on: May 08, 2017, 08:16:36 AM »

I don't like the looks of the 45 degree top - but they play better to me. Why? Because you can use a thinner string. And that adds SPEED - and SPEED is GOOD. Myself I like a 13 oz. top.

Cecil, I think the 45 degree part you are thinking of is from the widest part down to the tip.

I think the 45 degree part jmadrigal is referring to is from the widest part up to the crown.

I can tell you from experience that this top plays beautifully....

cecil

• Ultrahero member
« Reply #172 on: May 08, 2017, 02:49:30 PM »

I know the shape plays good, I just don't like the LOOKS. I like the HEART shape better. I also know groves in a top can give you trouble. When you try to make the thinnest line for your top - you learn a lot about the shapes of different tops. It's all just FUN.

jmadrigal

« Reply #173 on: May 08, 2017, 09:18:47 PM »

Cecil, I think the 45 degree part you are thinking of is from the widest part down to the tip.
I think the 45 degree part jmadrigal is referring to is from the widest part up to the crown.
Yup, I am talking about the feature around the crown. Printers have their strengths and weaknesses. One weak point is their difficulty with overhangs. I have learned that making your overhangs 45deg gives a nice print.

I also know groves in a top can give you trouble. 
What trouble do you get? If your referring to the layers in the printed top, they have not given me a problem. I have actually sanded one down to get a smother finish but I prefer the natural finish of the top.

I am especially excited about the 4.5" top because there are so few larger tops available other than what Watts and a few others have made. I make some but my production is woefully slow the last several years.

I like the steel cable idea, will you be selling them separate or is this a suggested mod?  I have never had a good pair of snips for steel cable, might be time to invest.

Such good work sir, I am am very impressed
Thanks Chris, I am exited about this top my self.
The cable mod would just be for this new top since I added the feature to hold the cable in place.

jmadrigal

« Reply #174 on: July 02, 2017, 08:25:32 PM »

Designed a new cap to mod my Quicksilver and Trompo Grande. I am liking it a lot. It adds about 6gms of weight which I really like in the Trompo Grande. It feels turbo charged :) It's nice to be able to store the string as well. I designed it so it snaps in snug so no more tape.

mailman

« Reply #175 on: July 02, 2017, 09:46:13 PM »

That's cool, Jose!  I'm betting you could sell a bunch of those....

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #176 on: July 02, 2017, 11:33:53 PM »

Great!

I reminds me when I found (actually my son Diego did) that the cap of a YYJ Bulldog top fitted a Spintastics Hollow Point: it made a great top!

studio42

• Studio42 - Professional Audio Services
« Reply #177 on: July 03, 2017, 02:54:54 PM »

No tape and snaps in?

I better start counting my QSH and Trompo tops.....

They look nice as well.
Chris Pickett, owner of Studio42 - Live Sound Production
http://www.studio42.com - Official Sound Production for CalStates  & BAC 2012-2017 and BEYOND!
Sound Provider for US National YoYoContest 2016
Cell/Text: 916-601-7089

jmadrigal

« Reply #178 on: July 04, 2017, 11:47:26 AM »

That's cool, Jose!  I'm betting you could sell a bunch of those....
I am still fine tuning but once I have it I would be happy to make some available.

Great!

I reminds me when I found (actually my son Diego did) that the cap of a YYJ Bulldog top fitted a Spintastics Hollow Point: it made a great top!
Modifying existing tops is always fun.

No tape and snaps in?

I better start counting my QSH and Trompo tops.....

They look nice as well.
Thanks

Sabaspin

• Gold Member
« Reply #179 on: July 05, 2017, 09:31:34 PM »

Nice mod! Especially for the trompo grande.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »   Go Up