iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: 3D Printed Top  (Read 12446 times)

jmadrigal

Re: 3D Printed Top
« Reply #135 on: April 10, 2017, 10:23:08 PM »

oh my i like that @-@
thats very spiffy @-@
im gonna learn this asap @-@
well done sir!!!
Thanks Jack! 

Sun Chokers is a legit trick! Very nice! I think it's new.
It is not easy to come up with new regen tricks, and this should be one.
Well done!  8)

Thanks, I am happy you like it.

cecil

• Ultrahero member
« Reply #136 on: April 11, 2017, 01:50:12 AM »

If you don't have a 4 1/2 PURPLE HEART TOP. You don't know the meaning of LIFE.

Neff

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #137 on: April 11, 2017, 10:44:54 PM »

I do something similar to jmadrigal's Sun Chokers, but the way he tugs from the loop in his left hand is better than my version.  I do mine here at 0:40:

jmadrigal I got your tips today, they are lovely! Now I just need to make a top or two to put them in  ;D

jmadrigal

« Reply #138 on: April 14, 2017, 04:13:02 PM »

Here we go again.

jmadrigal

« Reply #139 on: April 16, 2017, 10:01:31 PM »

If your bored.....

Jeremy McCreary

• Ultrahero member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #140 on: April 16, 2017, 10:30:39 PM »

Absolutely riveting!   ;D

Actually pretty interesting to watch the top build up. Why is everything blue?
Playing with the physical world through LEGO

jmadrigal

« Reply #141 on: April 16, 2017, 10:59:36 PM »

I have seen many tops printed and I still love watching the printer go.

As far as the question. The printer is blue, I use blue painters tape for the build surface and I happen to be using blue PETG.

jmadrigal

« Reply #142 on: April 21, 2017, 07:17:15 PM »

I have been busy working on a new design. I would say I have about 70 hours of printing in this design dialed in. This one is based on the Spintastics Quicksilver tips. I absolutely love this top. I have made quite a few revs and settled in on about 94gms (with the tip installed). It's amazing how as little as 5gms can make a difference. The top  is 3" in diameter and works just fine with the same string as the Quicksilver. It plays relaxed like a large top but, it is maneuverable like a small top. This is keeper. 

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #143 on: April 21, 2017, 07:27:24 PM »

I have been busy working on a new design. I would say I have about 70 hours of printing in this design dialed in. This one is based on the Spintastics Quicksilver tips. I absolutely love this top. I have made quite a few revs and settled in on about 94gms (with the tip installed). It's amazing how as little as 5gms can make a difference. The top  is 3" in diameter and works just fine with the same string as the Quicksilver. It plays relaxed like a large top but, it is maneuverable like a small top. This is keeper. 

that is a legit beautiful design @-@
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 12:06:08 AM by ta0 »

Jeremy McCreary

• Ultrahero member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #144 on: April 21, 2017, 07:31:30 PM »

Beautiful work, too!

Love how small differences in the top itself lead to big differences in top behavior. Could you elaborate from experience with this particular top?

Would you recommend a top like this to a beginner? Sounds ideal in some ways, but perhaps only for a skilled player like you.

jmadrigal

« Reply #145 on: April 21, 2017, 09:20:00 PM »

Beautiful work, too!

Love how small differences in the top itself lead to big differences in top behavior. Could you elaborate from experience with this particular top?

Would you recommend a top like this to a beginner? Sounds ideal in some ways, but perhaps only for a skilled player like you.
Thanks!
I was extremely surprised how the small difference in weight mattered to me. There is a fine balance between too heavy (now I need a thicker string) and too light that I can't regenerate how I want. On a side note, I think that a tip has an ideal string thickness that complements it. This is all very subjective, but I feel like a cook, and I am salting the food the way I like it.

Would I recommend this top to a beginner? The answer is yes, and this is my long answer why ;)
I am isolated from civilization, because I live in an unhospitable environment (near the Mohave desert). Needless to say there isn't a top spinner for hundreds of miles. For the last 5 years, I have been organizing a local beer "tasking" group in my town. Ever since I went hard core into tops, I thought a battle top completion would be a great event for our tastings. I had all the members in our group ( eight of us) buy short circuits, and they had a blast. Since last fall, we have had two completions, and we even have a roving trophy. Since all my friends are new to tops, I had to teach them all the basics.

One of my friends has earned his 8 trick patch and another is one trick away from his. As soon as I played with my new creation, I thought of my friends who are budding spinners. Since the top spins slower, like a big top, it gives you more time to think. I gave a beta version to my friend, who just earned his eight trick patch, and he was able to start doing a few roller coasters. This isn't a comic book offering the antidote to the skinny kid on the beach, getting sand kicked in his face. I am merely saying that if you are serious about spinning, this top will give you more time which helps. Although for an advanced player, I feel that this top could open doors. It has for me. I love it.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #146 on: April 22, 2017, 12:19:52 AM »

Wonderful top, fantastic work behind it and a wonderful story about converting others into top spinners!
Super-great job!!!  8) 8) 8)

Neff

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #147 on: April 22, 2017, 12:43:14 AM »

This is such a great thread, thank you.

Jeremy McCreary

• Ultrahero member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #148 on: April 22, 2017, 04:36:49 PM »

Thanks!
I was extremely surprised how the small difference in weight mattered to me. There is a fine balance between too heavy (now I need a thicker string) and too light that I can't regenerate how I want. On a side note, I think that a tip has an ideal string thickness that complements it. This is all very subjective, but I feel like a cook, and I am salting the food the way I like it....

Love that salt line. As a rank beginner at throwing tops, I found the story quite inspirational.

cecil

• Ultrahero member
« Reply #149 on: April 22, 2017, 05:15:07 PM »

The new top looks FANTASTIC. How much would one of these tops sell for? If you sold them? I told Dale at Spintastic, he should make the Trompo Granda in a four inch style. I think he said the mold would cost $ 40.000 ? I'm a retired Machinist and I hate mold making. I have about 25 large trick tops that I have made new strings for, only three more to go. I haven't been able to get to the shop for thee months now - and I miss making tops and tips. I can't find any top throwers in San Jose. Pop top and Spin queen live about 30 miles away and I haven't seen them in two years.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »   Go Up