iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ITSA General Assembly: December 5th - 12th

Author Topic: Hello to the forum :)  (Read 2431 times)

Atomic

• Atomic Tops
Hello to the forum :)
« on: August 24, 2016, 03:49:41 PM »

Hello, I'm Rob, Canadian by birth but have lived in the UK for many years, now in Scotland. This is my first post and hopefully not to boring an introduction. Didn't know where else to put an introduction so I guess this non-spin related section is a good place. 

I've always enjoyed things like yo-yo's, gyroscopes and tops but never got into collecting them much more than having one or two various items. Another thing I like to do is spin coins for some reason, don't know why, lol.   

Anyway, last year I somehow ended up watching youtube videos on EDC tops and thought to myself I could make really nice tops as a hobby and maybe sell some eventually. Designing things is something I really enjoy doing and tops fit right into the category of things I've enjoyed throughout my life. So the top journey began and somehow the months have gone by fast (about 10 now) with preparing my designs, getting a small cnc lathe and learning (still learning) to use it. I made my first tops with 20mm hdpe plastic a few weeks ago and this week made some prototype brass designs (also 20mm) which can be seen on youtube.    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8M5r5PTJClQ

There is still a long way to go but I see this as a hobby and although I do wish to sell my designs and have a marketing strategy somewhat, I view this as fun rather than business. I believe what will set me apart from others are my designs. What is on my youtube videos is not representative of my designs but more for a historical record of how I learnt to make tops. At the moment I'll focus on one-piece tops with as much "ornateness" as I can make and still have a functional top. That is why I got a cnc lathe because some of the contours would be difficult to make with a manual lathe.

So that's all, I'll comment on some threads and hopefully over time continue to be a good participant on the forum.

Cheers
Rob

Jack

• Demigod member
Re: Hello to the forum :)
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 05:03:08 PM »

welcome home budd @-@
i too used to live in an igloo........oh wait........i still do  ;D
ur designs are very nice, and i like the aspect that you can resharpen the tip eh
your journey is well on its way sir  ;)

Atomic

• Atomic Tops
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 06:02:56 PM »

Thanks Jack, ya, I still remember winters in Ontario having to use a shovel just to get out the front door, lol. I must have some sick desire to experience harsh weather because where I now live in Scotland it isn't much different in winter and it rains the rest of the time. No water shortage at least :)

The tops on youtube, they are more like experiments in balancing. The really (hopefully) unique designs will be revealed when I get them perfected. So far I have about ten designs but at the moment I am really struggling with this cnc lathe on multiple issues. Anyway, step by step, thanks for the encouragement.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 03:57:39 AM »

Hello Rob!  Welcome to the forum.  Your tops look awesome.  Looking forward to hearing more.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

Atomic

• Atomic Tops
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2016, 08:20:36 AM »

Thanks Earl, I like your forum name "Earl of Whirl", good one :)

I was thinking maybe a medieval themed tops clan would be interesting.... Earl of Whirl, Earl of Twirl, Sultan of Spin, Troubadour of Twist (that's all I can think of that rhyme).

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2016, 10:05:20 AM »

Clever!!!  I like your list.  We have a SpinQueen who visits around these parts but, of course, her name doesn't rhyme.  I often read about the King of Swing but maybe the King of Sling (whip style spinning).  It sounds like a fun challenge to come up with some more of those names!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2016, 11:34:19 AM »

Welcome to the forum Atomic! And welcome to the whirling world!

I moved your post to this board because it is very much spinning top-related and specifically related to making tops.

Iacopo

• Superhero member
    • Spin tops by Iacopo Simonelli, YouTube channel
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2016, 04:11:45 PM »

Thanks Earl, I like your forum name "Earl of Whirl", good one :)

I was thinking maybe a medieval themed tops clan would be interesting.... Earl of Whirl, Earl of Twirl, Sultan of Spin, Troubadour of Twist (that's all I can think of that rhyme).

"King of Spin" made me smile the first time I read it, it seems like King of Spain  ;D