iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ITSA General Assembly: December 5th - 12th

Author Topic: Lighted Top Testing  (Read 5526 times)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: Lighted Top Testing
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2016, 12:31:25 PM »

Yoyo lights turn off when the spinning stops.  This leads to the "where's my top?" problem when dropping.
The new lights on the YYF tops will come with manual switches instead of centrifugal switches. Yohans said that "he is done" with centrifugal switches.

Atomic

• Atomic Tops
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2016, 12:59:23 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qnqeUXmxeo

It has been worth joining this forum just to find out about and watch that video and the others (THAT TEAPOT!!!) on the channel.   And some nice Pink Floyd rendition to "top" it off.  I hope more people will find out about the channel to see such great skill. Like and subscribed for sure.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 01:57:07 PM by Atomic »

Diz

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2016, 01:50:22 PM »

Ta0, I just tried half orbits and the best I could get was four but I think I understand at what point regeneration happens.

Kirk, crossing my fingers for you on the accelerometer idea. What a fun way to train regenerations! Thanks for the info,
J

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2016, 09:37:50 PM »

It has been worth joining this forum just to find out about and watch that video and the others (THAT TEAPOT!!!) on the channel.   And some nice Pink Floyd rendition to "top" it off.  I hope more people will find out about the channel to see such great skill. Like and subscribed for sure.

Thanks! But more than half of the spintop videos on that channel are "unlisted". You will have to find links somewhere in this forum . . .  ;)

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2016, 08:27:58 AM »

Yoyo lights turn off when the spinning stops.  This leads to the "where's my top?" problem when dropping.
The new lights on the YYF tops will come with manual switches instead of centrifugal switches. Yohans said that "he is done" with centrifugal switches.
This is good news.  When do the new ones become available?

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2016, 11:36:39 AM »

This is good news.  When do the new ones become available?
Hans had it at worlds and I played with it, so I imagine they will be available very soon.

Diz

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2016, 01:17:02 PM »

Could there be one with electronic sounds? I thought I read that somewhere.

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2016, 09:00:06 AM »

Could there be one with electronic sounds? I thought I read that somewhere.
O Yes. I have bought several toy tops with lights and sound.  In all cases I have cut the speaker wires to silence them. The 11th poor rendition of Happy Birthday is quite enough. :)

Diz

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2016, 11:31:07 AM »

Haha I have a top that plays a Christmas medley and it won't spin long enough to play the entire song list. I couldn't plate regenerate it to reveal the tunes either!
No I just remembered I saw a photo of an Energia top with musical notes on the packaging. That must mean it makes sounds?

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2016, 12:59:36 PM »

Haha I have a top that plays a Christmas medley and it won't spin long enough to play the entire song list. I couldn't plate regenerate it to reveal the tunes either!
No I just remembered I saw a photo of an Energia top with musical notes on the packaging. That must mean it makes sounds?

I have a vague recollection of Hans mentioning music, but I may be wrong.

I have a lighted top with lighted fiber optics sticking from the top that plays the Gangnam Style song. It is also motorized, so the spinning lights and sound show never ends! I have used it to get my younger teenager son out of bed: it works great even if he doesn't appreciate it! >:D

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2016, 02:49:43 PM »

I have a lighted top with lighted fiber optics sticking from the top that plays the Gangnam Style song.

@-@

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2016, 07:22:46 PM »

Well the UV LEDs arrived yesterday!
Will pay for cotton string in florescent/neon colors.
Jack?  Neff?

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2016, 12:22:44 AM »

Jack?  Neff?

i must defer to the neff for jack hath consulted with his supply manager aka.....my father, and he hath assured me my current vendor does not carry neon crochet thread........sadness in the house of jack
good luck dear kirk..........and god speed master neff

studio42

• Studio42 - Professional Audio Services
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2016, 03:01:39 AM »

Sorry for being late on this one.

While I think the centrifugal switches are neat, I am going to have to agree with having manual switches. There's fewer issues except "remember to turn it off when you're done". I haven't had the switch get stuck on my Elec-Trick LED(yet), but I've had issues with these kind of switches in every light-up yoyo that has used it at some point in time. The fixes almost always involve taking the yoyo apart to stop it. Sometimes another throw will fix it but not often. Most of the time I have to do slight bends of parts to stop the problems. So, I'd rather see an manual switch.

About the only other gimmick I wouldn't mind seeing would be some sort of onboard storage that tracks spin over time and a beep that serves as a reminder that "we're slowing down too much, might be time to regenerate(fixed tip) or switch tops(bearing tip). Just use the same numbers. I think that would add too much cost and not enough benefit. Would be neat for research though.
Chris Pickett, owner of Studio42 - Live Sound Production
http://www.studio42.com - Official Sound Production for CalStates  & BAC 2012-2017 and BEYOND!
Sound Provider for US National YoYoContest 2016
Cell/Text: 916-601-7089

robtsou

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2016, 01:37:47 PM »

Well the UV LEDs arrived yesterday!
Jack?  Neff?

Kirk,

I think if you wash any string in detergent that has phosphates, it will become UV reactive.  Check your laundry detergent, you may already be a winner!