iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: what equipment do you have for modding and making tops?  (Read 9339 times)

johnm

• Ultrahero member
what equipment do you have for modding and making tops?
« on: December 16, 2009, 06:32:51 PM »

I know I'm very spoilled by the equipment to which I have access through my work in the physics department, but I also know that many people are doing great things with limited tools.  I'd be interested to see pictures or have descriptions of what others are using.  I would expect that those who've just purchased tools or are thinking about it might also get some insight about what has worked for other people.  Don't be shy--often it seems that a lack of 'traditional' tools for a task leads to very clever solutions from which we all can benefit.

I'll get us started.
For wood work I use a drill press and hole saws to cut out the center of disks of plywood.
I use a dumpster recovered and repaired band saw to cut the outside diameter of the plywood disks.

For turning I use a Jet mini lathe with a couple custom made mounts for tops, or a drive center or 4 jaw chuck.

For tips and bearing housings, etc. I use a full sized metal lathe and milling machine.

For painting, I saved the base of a Singer treadle sewing machine.  For clean up--a shop vacuum.
Warning naked picture of Ta0 follows

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: what equipment do you have for modding and making tops?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 08:49:36 PM »

I am a little embarrassed  :-[ to see Holey naked  :o but, what a great setup on the sewing machine!

I think I am also a little embarrassed that I have a nice group of machines in the garage but no tops to show as a result  :-[ , just tips and mods. So I don't know if I will show photos. But one of my New Year resolutions is to make a top from scratch. Mmm, wasn't that on the list last year . . .  ::)

Jeromy K.

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 08:51:08 PM »

That shop beats my drill in a vise set up i use for mods  :P, I guess you use what you have. NICE SHOP

robtsou

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 12:17:15 AM »

I've also been inspired to make a top from scratch this year.  Actually I can say that I have made a few but I really should be making more.  It's funny, I started turning specifically to make tops and it's probably the one thing I've done the least of.  4 lathes later..... ;D

Oh, as far as tools I have 2 wood lathes (one 12" swing, one 5" swing), 2 machinist lathes (one 6" swing, one 5" (does the Taig swing 5"?)), one recovered from the garbage band saw, table saw, drill press, micro mill, and assorted other hand tools and power tools.  Oh, I also have a sewing machine treadle but I use it to power one of my sewing machines  ::)

Rob

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 10:53:54 AM »

oh la la john !!
this material is overkill !!

how did you learn to use all these machines ??

for home modding i only use the minimum
a swiss knife, a dremel, a candle and some elbow-oil

i wish i could take a year off  to learn metal turning,adjusting,welding and so on

in fact I'm working at it :D

i wish you good work for future projects

and I challenge everyone here on the project of an asymmetrical top

wot you think??

jim

"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

johnm

• Ultrahero member
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 07:21:37 AM »

I think I am also a little embarrassed that I have a nice group of machines in the garage but no tops to show as a result  :-[ , just tips and mods. So I don't know if I will show photos.
How about just a list?

how did you learn to use all these machines ??

for home modding i only use the minimum
a swiss knife, a dremel, a candle and some elbow-oil
My Dad was a machinist and has a nice home shop, and I had some specific training in school.
A lot can be done with a dremel, there are tons of tool and it takes almost no space.

Oh, as far as tools I have 2 wood lathes (one 12" swing, one 5" swing), 2 machinist lathes (one 6" swing, one 5" (does the Taig swing 5"?)), one recovered from the garbage band saw, table saw, drill press, micro mill, and assorted other hand tools and power tools.  Oh, I also have a sewing machine treadle but I use it to power one of my sewing machines  ::)
Wow!  Unlike the dremel these take lots of space.

That shop beats my drill in a vise set up i use for mods  :P, I guess you use what you have. NICE SHOP
A drill can be very useful.  Here's a very clever guy who shows many useful ideas--with different tools he shows ten or so ways to make round wooden balls.  These two particular methods seems very appropriate for wood top making using an electric drill and a couple wood jigs to hold stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=noho91#p/u/33/zCTCAGaCx7U
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=noho91#p/u/30/5dzjWMQNeTQ

Grizzly makes a lathe 'attachment' for a drill which is more or less like the wood assembly used in the video.  I have no comment on how good it is though.
http://www.amazon.com/Grizzly-H2669-Hobby-Lathe/dp/B0000DD399

Pulpowsky

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
  • Trainning trick: None
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009, 12:22:32 PM »

[youtube]ISJmzf2ckCw&NR=1[/youtube]

This video have a lot of good ideas for the poor machinist.

Now I am in crisis about muy new lathe.    ??? ??? ???
  Greetings: Jorge Sanjuan.

www.pulpowsky.com/foro

Jeromy K.

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2009, 01:28:32 PM »

Thanks for the links on the Poor Mans lathe. I have been day dreaming on how to do some thing similar the links give me some good ideas.

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2009, 02:36:42 PM »

Beware Jeromy K - I tried a few things with a drill before I got my lathe - like silicone recesses in yo-yos - before I realized my drill is no longer centered.  Frustrating, but do-able.

Jeromy K.

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2009, 06:06:41 PM »

i have been looking at what it would take to make a good set up and it would only cost a little more to go all out. maybe on of these days I will get what it takes. 

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2009, 05:52:09 PM »

Ok, here are some photos.

I think the only machine I bought specifically for tops was the yellow mini-lathe (for metals). It is a 7"x12" Cummins. I have use it mainly to make custom tips for my tops. I also repaired Figaro's axle. It came with several accessories and extra features. Made in China, of course, but no problems so far.

The green band saw is a metal saw I had before getting into tops but has been very handy in cutting the stock for the tips. I also used it to saw off the cap of a frozen QS, what I now regret  :( The Ryobi table band saw I don't like: I can never make a straight cut in anything that is not thin. Still, I like it more than a Ryobi scroll saw that is out of commission after the clamp for the saws broke  :( And yet, I bought a table saw from the same brand  ::) (they are cheap) I don't expect to use the table saw for tops until I get to build a Taiwanese giant top  :P

This is the 19 ton shop press I use to open bulldog tops. Bought it for something completely different, of course  :D The drill press I use quite a bit but not much for tops.

Finally, let me show you the tool I use the most for tops: a hole in the workbench! It is very handy for taking out tips!

« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 10:52:19 PM by ta0 »

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2009, 08:29:54 PM »

Great pictures of everyone's work areas and equipment.  Hope to see many more great things coming from these spaces.  I am also anxious to watch how things work out for Jeremy K.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

johnm

• Ultrahero member
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2009, 09:15:25 PM »

Nice home shop Ta0.  I suppose now that you've retired from competition you'll have more time for top making.  Was the hole in the work bench coincidental or intentionally put there for top tip ejecting? ;)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2009, 12:11:04 AM »

I suppose now that you've retired from competition you'll have more time for top making.
That's what I had assumed but I am not so sure now . . .

Was the hole in the work bench coincidental or intentionally put there for top tip ejecting? ;)
It was there already and I have others available in that and another workbench, but this is the most convenient. Actually, I also have a portable one: a hole in a little piece of wood in my spintop case.

SpinQueen

• Superhero member
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2009, 12:34:40 AM »

I also have a small block of wood that I drilled a hole in for a tip knocker outter  :D