iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Top from Greece  (Read 1824 times)

MechTop

• ITSA Jr.
Top from Greece
« on: July 20, 2016, 05:04:06 PM »

While in Greece three weeks ago I did some top shopping. I asked around in Santorini and Athens but no luck.

In Naxos I had better luck. First I meet an old shopkeeper who told me about playing tops when he was young 50 or so years ago. His English wasn't very good (better than my Greek) so we didn't talk very long but it was fun to see him excited about the memory of his tops. He didn't know where I could find any tops. He had stopped selling them after a kid cracked his shop window years ago.
The next day I found a tourist shop with some very basic tops. The woman selling them hadn't seen anyone spin one in a long time and couldn't do it herself. To be fair they were not the best tops and I could barely do it.

[img ]http://ta0.com/images/ITSA-patch_70px.gif[/img]

Jack

• Demigod member
Re: Top from Greece
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2016, 05:34:37 PM »

nice acquisition there eh!!!

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2016, 08:48:33 PM »

Dear Mechtop,

What a charming little top you have there. It is tempting to buy a traditional simple wooden top, just to see what kind of tricks I could do with it at the Renaissance fair.

Thank you for posting on your adventures! Safe Travels!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2016, 12:13:31 AM »

In these cases, half the fun is in finding the top and the other half is making it do some simple tricks!
Anyone who goes out of his way to find a top while on vacation is an outstanding member of this forum!

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2016, 03:43:03 AM »

Dear ta0,

I completely agree with you! I wish I traveled in more areas! People usually want to buy tops from me, not sell them to me :P.  I suspect that I would have more luck in other countries, where children play with more traditional toys.

I kind of find it funny, and a little sad, that more adults play with "freestyle" spintops, than children in America. Maybe I am biased, but I have not seen ANY children playing with tops, except for the occasional beyblade, which doesn't count, because I am referring to "freestyle" tricks, or whatever you would call what the majority of players on this forum do, with the merry go rounds, and the crazy 8's and trapezes and whatnot!

I suspect all the OG's from this forum, have been to other countries and seen their tops!

Thank you!