iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Fixed Axle Spintop Help!!! Wire Walker  (Read 10954 times)

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
Re: Fixed Axle Spintop Help!!! Wire Walker
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2016, 04:08:16 PM »

He is always after me, too, with my misspelling of that great country!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2016, 08:17:32 PM »

Dear Earl Of Whirl,

It is spelled "Colombia", apparently. "Columbia" is an outdoor clothing company. Haha.

Jack,

Yes, it took me a while to see what ta0 did there. :D

Dear ta0,

Monofilament fishing wire? I remember Cecil saying something about that. I will give it a try anyway. I will search the forum and see what was discussed. I am going to try to talk to Cecil, and see what I can figure out. LOL. I love wirewarlking, partly because my audience loves it. It is probably one of my most popular tricks, and "raton loco".

Do you know where I could purchase a "Colombian" spintop, like those in the video?  I cannot find "Colombian Spintops" anywhere on Ebay or "google".

Dear Studio42,

I  look forward to buying a bunch more spintops anyway, you are probably right, and I have accepted this well by now. I don't think there are any spinners near Longview, Washington.

I have noticed that every single one of my tops has it's advantages, you are right. I probably will get a short circuit, some mexican tops, two electriks, and a hornet next.

Can someone tell me what the "twin spin" of a hornet is, and how it works?

Haha, well, that's why I asked Chris Neff to make me a longer string, because I want more corkscrews and the ability to do longer wirewalkers. I am sure my audience would love to see  40' wire walkers, and I am going to try to add obstacles in the way so that maybe the "wire walker" has to corkscrew around stuff.

Thank you!

cecil

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2016, 08:23:38 PM »

At 4:05 what is the name of this Trick please? I can't get this trick. Can anyone in the U.S do it?

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2016, 08:36:24 PM »

Dear Cecil,

Are you talking about the part where he steps on the string and wire walks into his hand? I don't know what it is called (probably original tricks). I have never tried doing it!

Or are you talking about the under the leg "whip" thing he does right after?

No, I regret to say I cannot do this, but I have never tried! Does anyone have any advice on these tricks? I don't know what they are even called... Except awesome.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2016, 10:57:33 PM »

At 4:05 what is the name of this Trick please? I can't get this trick. Can anyone in the U.S do it?
A similar trick invented in the US (by Jon Gates I believe, or was it Dale?) using our tops is called the escalator, but generally not done as vertical or high:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOS-8pknUIA

The Colombians might have the same name in Spanish for it (escalera eléctrica) but I am not sure. I have not tried it with a Colombian top.

The open whip in which the string wraps around the tip is called a Vicentina. The name comes from the trompo stronghold of San Vicente Ferrer, Antioquia, Colombia. The inventor might be Rodrigo Arbeláez. It is much easier to do with a long "nail" tip than with our tips. By the way, the name inspired Gustavo to name his Gustavina trick.

It is not easy to get Colombian tops, specially the big ones, without going to Colombia. I have been told that they risk being drilled at customs. I got mine from players that came to worlds a few years ago.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 11:03:03 PM by ta0 »

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2016, 11:18:58 PM »

Hello Everyone,

So I just tried out the "wire walker" with my "Duncan Imperial" and it worked like a charm, much better than my "Quicksilver Fixed tip".

I can do a wirewalker the ENTIRE legnth of my string, and I am confident it could go much much much further. To what do you think this is owed? Being a light top, or the "normal" tip?

I plan on getting a "short circuit" and trying it with some fishing line to see what happens. 

Thank you!

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2016, 11:53:30 PM »

To what do you think this is owed? Being a light top, or the "normal" tip?

I plan on getting a "short circuit" and trying it with some fishing line to see what happens. 

Thank you!

the tip  ;)

for long wirewalkers im pretty sure you want a heavy top, but cecil is the expert  ;)

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2016, 07:20:08 PM »

Dear Jack,

That might be the case. Then can you explain why the QS ctip can only make it about half the string before slowing down and falling off, while the duncan imperial zips accross the entire string, with my arms completely outstretched with energy and themsome? Could it be the tip then?

Thank you,

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2016, 07:33:41 PM »

Dear Jack,

That might be the case. Then can you explain why the QS ctip can only make it about half the string before slowing down and falling off, while the duncan imperial zips accross the entire string, with my arms completely outstretched with energy and themsome? Could it be the tip then?

Thank you,

« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 07:57:19 PM by ta0 »

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2016, 03:46:59 AM »

Dear Jack,

Unfortuantely, I do not understand what that means :P. I understand the "This is Sparta!", meme, but I do not understand what it means by "geometry". Would you please elaborate?

I do think it is the tip as you said, but suspect that the light weight reduces the friction maybe? I will need to experiment more!

Dear ta0,

Well, I hope my travels take me to Colombia so that I may see these tops. I absolutely adore the more simple designs of wooden tops. I can't help but feel guilty using all these confangled new "modern" tops. They wouldn't look right at the Renaissance Fair!

Thanks again!

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2016, 11:17:47 AM »

The large diameter neck and acute angle between chin and shoulder, along with the lightness of the top, make it walk fast.

studio42

• Studio42 - Professional Audio Services
« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2016, 01:03:57 PM »

I don't think fishing line would be a great medium. I think it will not only be too thin, but the friction and tension will also play a role as well. I think it could work, but probably not that great.

I forget what I got at a TruValue hardware store, but I've been using that I thin #20 string for making my stings. It seems to hold up real good and is very soft. Most of my tops are using this to great result, many since shortly after I got success with tops, so we're talking over a year and a half. I'm not sure what the length is, but I know it's given me over 20 strings and the ball is still very much intact.
Chris Pickett, owner of Studio42 - Live Sound Production
http://www.studio42.com - Official Sound Production for CalStates  & BAC 2012-2017 and BEYOND!
Sound Provider for US National YoYoContest 2016
Cell/Text: 916-601-7089

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2016, 02:11:18 PM »

I don't think fishing line would be a great medium. I think it will not only be too thin, but the friction and tension will also play a role as well. I think it could work, but probably not that great.

Read this

http://www.ta0.com/forum/index.php/topic,3527.0.html