iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Fixed Axle Spintop Help!!! Wire Walker  (Read 10955 times)

Jack

• Demigod member
Re: Fixed Axle Spintop Help!!! Wire Walker
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2016, 10:09:49 AM »

Actually, thank you for the clarification. The photos you posted were fantastic for that. Diabolo tip. I thought they were one and the same. Learn something new every day!

you are welcome sir

« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 12:58:47 PM by ta0 »

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2016, 12:35:45 AM »

Dear Jack,

Would you please tell me why the hornet on the right, has a more "squashed" tip than the other c-tip? What does this help with?

By the way, I have pretty much mastered the "wire walker", but I have another question then...

How do you get wire walkers to go for long distances? I have seen people wire walk for 30 feet or more... Do you have to use a special top for this? Can I do it with the Quicksilver hybrid? Do I need a lighter top to get any distance out of my wire walking? I can wire walk, about a shoulder width apart, but I have seen that pros, especially at energia, can wirewalk with their arms stretched WAAAAAY out. It seems my hybrid doesn't have the ability to travel that far before slowing to a halt. Is there a way to get my hybrid to go further?

I also learned "race track" today :P.

Thank you for your help!

studio42

• Studio42 - Professional Audio Services
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2016, 05:13:25 AM »

Dear Studio42,

I am flattered by your compliment, but you know what they say "Videos or it didn't happen".

I don't do videos. That's just my "lack of style". It will be a "forever mystery" until we meet up, which may happen if I'm ever up that way.
P.S. I have been considering the micro top actually, for my performances. People love novelty like that, and I am sure I would get a good reaction out of people with it. Is it really that difficult to use? How much smaller than the "love" top is there? Any chance for regenerations on it? lol

I may sound a little snarky in this post, but I am grateful for all your help. I just think it is funny is all. Thank you!

Well, I have photos of the Love and the microtop on my Facebook "Throw of the Day" or is it "skill toy of the day" album. It's somewhat out of context, but the tops are in fact spinning in my hand when the photo was taken. The Micro is way smaller than the Love top. I think I did some "pocket full of fun" photos showing my smaller items, but I'm not sure if I posted them. They might by in the "group sets" album.

The Love top would be a little difficult to regen, but I don't see it being anything beyond adjusting to the small size. I am not there yet(regens) so I'm not interested in doing that with a Love top yet. As far as the micro, I don''t see why one couldn't either, it would just require a lot more fine motor skill, focus and a nice soft landing spot! I was surprised how long it was spinning in my hand, but what impressed me more was I had it boomerang'ed to my hand in 4 throws. So, I say that if I can do it, anyone can.
Chris Pickett, owner of Studio42 - Live Sound Production
http://www.studio42.com - Official Sound Production for CalStates  & BAC 2012-2017 and BEYOND!
Sound Provider for US National YoYoContest 2016
Cell/Text: 916-601-7089

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2016, 09:37:52 PM »

Dear Jack,

Would you please tell me why the hornet on the right, has a more "squashed" tip than the other c-tip? What does this help with?

pretty much doesnt help with anything i can think of except to scaring you @-@

How do you get wire walkers to go for long distances? I have seen people wire walk for 30 feet or more... Do you have to use a special top for this? Can I do it with the Quicksilver hybrid? Do I need a lighter top to get any distance out of my wire walking? I can wire walk, about a shoulder width apart, but I have seen that pros, especially at energia, can wirewalk with their arms stretched WAAAAAY out. It seems my hybrid doesn't have the ability to travel that far before slowing to a halt. Is there a way to get my hybrid to go further?

practice practice practice  ;)
yes you can do it with the qsh but youll want the standard tip (not a "C" tip) for best wirewalking results

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2016, 09:29:04 PM »

Hello Everyone,

So, the best top for "wire walking" then, would either be the "short circuit" or some mexican top? Are there any reccomendations?

I would appreciate your advice!

Thank you,

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2016, 11:48:49 PM »

The only Mexican tops that I can recommend against are the Cometa Mini Cobra (the regular cobra is great) and any of the Spider tops (they cool looking but not great players)
The Cometa Panther looks like it is from the molds of the old Orion which was great.  There once was an ebay seller that would sell assortments of different types.  Don't over analyze, just go and buy some. They will eventually crack any way. Then you can buy more of your favorites.

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2016, 02:16:17 AM »

Dear Kirk,

I think I am going to end up buying some mexican tops, but, my question is, from the picture these tops all look to be "c"-tip, right? I thought C-tips are not good for wire walkers? What kind of tip am I looking for exactly? I already have a quicksilver fixed tip, but undersatnd that "c-tips" are not ideal for wire walking. I am looking for something specifically for wire walking, not just more tops for my collection (ill get there eventually though :P).  Are these tops good for wire walking? Better than the quicksilver fixed tip?

Thank you,

Diz

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2016, 02:49:04 AM »

I really like the Short Circuit for wirewalking tricks. This evening I tried wirewalker arms outstretched almost the full length of the string and it did just fine. My Trompo Grande was always too slow and I couldn't get it to travel very far.

studio42

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2016, 03:14:06 AM »

At this point, my suggestion is:

Spend more time doing wire walker, less time talking about it. We all benefit from practicing and playing. Doesn't matter what top it is as long as it's configured properly.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 07:06:14 PM by studio42 »

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2016, 12:02:35 PM »

Spend more time dong wire walker, less time talking about it. We all benefit from practicing and playing. Doesn't matter what top it is as long as it's configured properly.
Yes Yes.  Buy tops. Do tricks. Have fun!

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2016, 12:22:30 AM »

The C tip.  Please read carefully.

The C tip is a very specific tip that was first produced by Salvador then sold by Spintastics. Some people coughcoughCECILcoughcough use the term C tip generically.  The neck of the Spintastics C tip is very thin and the angle between the chin and shoulder is very wide.  It bends easy at the neck and wirewalks very slowly because the neck is thin and the angle is wide.  Good for regenerating though, good feel of the string in the neck.  See chart below for nomenclature:

The tips on Mexican trompos are not C-tip shaped, they are basically regular shaped.  The angle between the chin and shoulder should be about 90° for "standard operation"

For long wire walkers, Columbian tops are where it's at.  The tip is just a straight nail and the string that you throw with is already long.  A good strong Columbian throw will get the top spinning very fast - you have to have that for a long wirewalker.  Cecil has done some long wirewalkers, I'm sure he could elaborate.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 12:32:41 AM by Neff »

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2016, 02:19:18 AM »

Dear Neff,

I think I understand what the C tip is. The "regular" tip is the one that is shaped more like an arrowhead, right?  The c tip is more <> while the regular tip is more like <-- an arrow right?

I have noticed that the C tip works marvelously for regenerations, in fact, I am already doing many regeneration tricks with ease.

I am still extremely curious about wire walking. A columbian top, with a straight nail? What is a "columbian top"?  I understand the "mexican tops" are just fixed axle "norma/arrowhead" spintops, but what is a columbian top, and where can I buy one, if you don't mind telling me please.

Yes, Cecil is a superhero to me, lol. I have seen his long distance wire walking. He uses a big spintop for his long 38' wire walks. Could I achieve such distance with my quicksilver? I am planning on buying a top specifically for wirewalking. Until now I was considering a short circuit, and some mexican "trompos cometas", but now I hear that columbian tops are better for wire walking? lol.

Thank you so much for your drawing, it does explain a lot.

Dear Kirk,

Yes, I plan on buying many more tops lol. I just specicifically want at least one of the tops to be specialized for "wire walking". lol. I am laughing at myself all the time. Has anyone here gotten into trouble from their parents/mother/wife for having so much money invested in spintops? I laugh at myself. If I keep spending money on tops like this, I might be able to ride them to work!

Dear Studio42,

I assure you if I spent any more time on spintops, I would probably lose my job, lol. I only ask questions when I reach a plateau.

Thank you all for your input. I am really trying to finalize which spintops I should get lol.  What spintops do you guys like to use for "wirewalking"? What tops do you use for the really long distance wire walking?

Is it all about skill? I mean CAN i get my quicksilver fixed-ctip to wire walk 38 feet? Would it be possible if I put in the work, or would I be benefitted from some other kind of top to make it easier?

I can do a wire walker, 10/10 times, just not for as long as I would like. It seems there is a dead limit to how far it will go, before it slows down. Does this mean i just need to throw it harder and do the trick quicker? Is there a set limit to how far a top can go on a wirewalker?

Thank you all for your contributions! I love you guys.

studio42

« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2016, 02:25:44 AM »

Dear Studio42,

I assure you if I spent any more time on spintops, I would probably lose my job, lol. I only ask questions when I reach a plateau.

Thank you all for your input. I am really trying to finalize which spintops I should get lol.  What spintops do you guys like to use for "wirewalking"? What tops do you use for the really long distance wire walking?

Is it all about skill? I mean CAN i get my quicksilver fixed-ctip to wire walk 38 feet? Would it be possible if I put in the work, or would I be benefitted from some other kind of top to make it easier?

I can do a wire walker, 10/10 times, just not for as long as I would like. It seems there is a dead limit to how far it will go, before it slows down. Does this mean i just need to throw it harder and do the trick quicker? Is there a set limit to how far a top can go on a wirewalker?

Thank you all for your contributions! I love you guys.

Really, you should just accept the reality that you're going to have to purchase and experience first hand unless you can meet up with someone else who has the tops you're interested in.

As far as distance, I give no craps about any distance further than what my string will allow and even then I'm not taking full advantage of that length.

You're already saying you can do wire walker 10 out of 10 with whatever you have. Whatever you get next, as long as it's a fixed tip, you're good.

Buy the YYF tops. They are cheap in price but good. Get a QSH in whatever configuration you want(or both). Get a Hornet.

Everything brings something different to the table. Enjoy it.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2016, 10:55:54 AM »

For very long wire walks you need to use monofilament fishing line as the string! And the right tip. Search the forum, we have discussed this several times. We don't yet have a good theory of wire walking to give you final conclusions. I have got good distances but Cecil is our in-house expert on this  ;)

Neff was referring to Colombian tops. Like the ones on this classic video:

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2016, 04:01:43 PM »

For very long wire walks you need to use monofilament fishing line as the string! And the right tip. Search the forum, we have discussed this several times. We don't yet have a good theory of wire walking to give you final conclusions. I have got good distances but Cecil is our in-house expert on this  ;)

Neff was referring to Colombian tops. Like the ones on this classic video:

ohohohooooo i see what you did there  ;D