iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Best Fixed Spint Top  (Read 2942 times)

• Gold Member
Best Fixed Spint Top
« on: July 02, 2016, 12:06:42 AM »

Hello Everyone,

I know I asked you all before, but I would like to know what your opinion of best Fixed Spintop would be? Again, I would like to know what your opinion is 1)best fixed spin top for the money and two 2) best fixed spin top no budget.

I have bought a Sofia recently, and as you all know this is an expensive spintop. I think it is great, I really do like it, but, at the same time I think I would have been just as happy with a slightly cheaper spintop. It spins longer than my Lingdong Spacetop, and doesn't have as big a gap as the SpaceTop, but it still does have a tiny gap. In my opinion a more expensive spintop is not the answer. I do like my Sofia, very very much, but it will not be replacing my Lingdong Spacetop anytime soon, as I feel the Lingdong has it's own advantages. I forget who said it (Jack? Studio42? Cecil? ta0? Neff?) but there really is no "best". Skyrockets for example, are much more difficult than the Lingdong, and I often find that the shape of the Sofia messes me up.

Does anyone know why the Sofia is shaped this way? is it to provide some kind of advantage? I see no advantage to it's shape other than that it looks eccentric. It has a long spintime, almost twice the spintime of the lingdong, and is heavier, so it makes some tricks easier, but some tricks are more difficult.

I am curious to see what you guys have to say.

Thank you!

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
Re: Best Fixed Spint Top
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2016, 12:32:15 AM »

I believe the Sophia shape was intended to allow for finger grinds or string grinds, but you loose spin so quickly.

I recently discovered the YYF Short Circuit and it is hands down the best fixed tip for the money IMO. Price is low, quality is high. Mine spins very smooth without any balancing putty. Many would prefer a metal tip, but for a beginner top, a Delrin tip is just fine. The only thing I don't like about it is the button, it is heavy and it will start pulling the string through your fingers, annoying.

A close second would be just about any of the metal tipped Mexican trompos from Cometa, Cinco Estrellas, Premier, (I am forgetting some of the brand names right now).  Hard to get in the States though.

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2016, 12:38:37 AM »

Dear Chris,

Thank you for the response, yes I have heard many good things about the Short Circuit, and I love the way it looks :P. I will definately try it soon.  I will look into finger and string grinds, that makes more sense.
What is your opinion on the Quicksilver Fixed? I recently have one in my possession and am curious if there is something better, aka more expensive. (I know more expensive doesn't mean better, but I want to know if there is anything that is "top of the line".)

Thank you!

studio42

• Studio42 - Professional Audio Services
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2016, 12:49:01 AM »

I have two of the Sophia tops. My black one is my first one, the white one I got at one heck of a sale price I couldn't pass up so I had to snag it. I really like the Sophia. I can't answer why the shape is the way it is, but it is a rather neat shape, very feminine and very powerful.

Many of us have said "there is no best", because there isn't. One of the things I've been saying is "bang for the buck", the QSH is probably one of the best. Available in both bearing an fixed, but at different prices of course, I really feel that this top really nails it both ways. Feels great, good weight, good weight distribution, good shape, feels good in the hand before being thrown and sits nice spinning in the hand. I don't have as many fixed tips. I have the QSH, a Hornet, a couple of Trompo Grande, a Gladiator and some BKs set up as fixed tip. I also have the Short Circuit, of which I haven't noticed any issues with the button weight. For me I find the QSH fixed tip has enough weight to spin longer than my other fixed tips, which is helping me with the few fixed tip tricks I can currently do.

I will say I much prefer metal tips to plastic when it comes to fixed tip play. The plastic feels like it's heating up in my hand and I get this burning feeling that I really dislike. I'm more used to it now but I still don't like it.

Also, I think many Strummol8's can be changed to fixed tip by adding an included washer and then tightening things down. I could be wrong about that. I like mine bearing. My Love tops I play mostly bearing tip. I do have to use a second string for tricks as the throwing string is too short for me to do a corkscrew with 3 wraps. However, these are small and take some getting used to. If I can play it, you can play it, enough said on that.
Chris Pickett, owner of Studio42 - Live Sound Production
http://www.studio42.com - Official Sound Production for CalStates  & BAC 2012-2017 and BEYOND!
Sound Provider for US National YoYoContest 2016
Cell/Text: 916-601-7089

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2016, 12:53:34 AM »

The shape of the Sophia (which it inherited from a previous model called Titi), has something to do with Maurizio's original goal which was to be a yo-yo manufacturer not a top manufacturer :D

The short circuit is a perfect top to learn. Personally, I would slightly change the shape of the tip and make it metal.
To freestyle in a competition, the QSH (fixed diabolo tip) would be superior.
Both are great return for the money.

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2016, 11:25:41 AM »

A close second would be just about any of the metal tipped Mexican trompos from Cometa, Cinco Estrellas, Premier, (I am forgetting some of the brand names right now).  Hard to get in the States though.
I got 3 Cometa Cobras for my birthday!  One is super smooth the other 2 need just a bit of balancing. The strings and tips are a bit different than other Cometa tops I have.  Spin them an drop on a piece of fine sand paper and all is well.  Rachel got them on eBay. It took about 4 weeks for delivery. IMO the cobra is one of the prettiest tops on the market and a good all around top.

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2016, 09:33:24 PM »

QSH fixed with the "C" tip
greatest top ever made @-@

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2016, 09:46:37 PM »

Dear Jack,

I have a Quicksilver, but not a hornet. They look like they are good though. Would you reccomend the hornet for "wire" tricks? I suspect they are better with "regeneration" tricks, but I am not too keen on regeneration play just yet.  Thank you for your input. I plan on getting one sometime soon!

Dear Kirk,

You mentioned Cometa Cobra in my other post. You seem to really like them, and I am curious. Are they good for wire tricks? Thank you for your recomendation.

Dear ta0,

Titi? I cannot seem to find pictures! Did it look similar? I see, why did Maurizio change his mind? The reason i am obsessed with spintops is because, I am obsessed with yoyos. Yoyos seem to be the "get gud m8" of yoyos. The next step up if you will, though I realize this is a very false statement. I really don't know why yoyos are so popular, yet, spintops are not. Is it possibly because yoyos have a wider appeal do to a very gentle learning curve? You can pick up a yoyo and do stuff with it right out of the box. Spintops always require some practice to be able to do anything, and therefore inevitably exists in a niche market.  What do you think?

I will consider the short circuit, but tell me, how does it fair for "wire" tricks?

Dear Studio42,

I agree with you. The Sophia has certainly grown upon me, and I do like it's eccentric shape, but so far have not had any luck with grinds or string grinds on it.  I have noticed/suspected that it's rim adds some kind of stability, do to the distance from the center of mass.

It makes me laugh when you say you don't have many fixed tips. LOL... And then here I am, just a few months ago all I had was 1 duncan imperial... Which I bought for 7 bucks... And here I am, with the Imperial, Sofia, SpaceTop, Quicksilver.... lol... I bet in just a year, I will have a formidable collection, lol. It seems inevitable. I have heard many good things about the hornet. It's a shame I didn't snag the spintastics deal, lol. I really like how they look too, so slim. However, I wonder how they compare to the quicksilver fixed.

I too prefer metal to plastic. Does plastic have any advantages at all? It seems to me that the only advantage is being cheaper, and perhaps does not damage hardwood floors as badly. I have quite a few dents from my tops already.

The love top? It looks like a darling little top by the way. I have seen a few youtube videos (Looking at Neff) showing it off.  Would you happen to know what the official "Styles" of spintops are? Yoyos have A AA AAA AAAA 5A, right? All representing different styles. I have noticed that there are distinctive styles for Spintops already...

Bearing
Wire
Regeneration

What do you think?

Thank you very much!

« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 09:57:26 PM by 113 »

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2016, 10:03:16 PM »

Would you reccomend the hornet for "wire" tricks? I suspect they are better with "regeneration" tricks, but I am not too keen on regeneration play just yet.  Thank you for your input. I plan on getting one sometime soon!

the tip that the hornet has isnt all that great for wirewalking imo. for wire walking i would say a mexican top or a yyf shortcircuit, both are amazing with fast wirewalking lol. you could also go with a trompo grande from spintastics, theyre pretty good wirewalkers

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2016, 01:58:01 PM »

Dear Jack,

Thank you, mexican tops? You mean like the "cobra" tops? I am planning on buying a few short circuits. They look so pretty.

Thank you for your help!