iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Best Spin Top  (Read 6409 times)

• Gold Member
Best Spin Top
« on: June 22, 2016, 01:06:52 AM »

Hello Everyone,

I have two questions for you.

1. What is the BEST  bearing spintop money can buy, with no expenses spared and no hold barred?

2. What is the BEST FOR THE MONEY bearing spintop (I realize that as price increases quality often increases in only smaller and smaller increments)?

I would love to know your opinions.

Thank you for your time and for reading!

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
Re: Best Spin Top
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 01:18:25 AM »

For me, Strummol8 Giulia on both counts.  Extremely durable, one-part body, hole in crown, superior bearing tip assembly, bigger size, excellent weight distribution, comes balanced.  Worth the money IMO.

If you asked for best "less than $20" bearing top, you might get quite a few different answers.

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 04:19:43 AM »

Dear Neff,

How would you say the Gulia compares to the Sofia?

I am curious as well. What would you say the best bearing top for less than 20$ would be? I could take a guess? Gladiator? Blizzard? Trompo Bearing? What do you think? I would love to know. Also, I will be teaching a class for beginners (they will have to buy their own tops from me, so should be as cheap as possible) at a local performing arts center. What would be the cheapest beginner top you could recommend?  My first spintop was a duncan imperial, and like a fool, I practiced for ages on it, getting pretty decent... I do not wish the duncan imperial on anyone! I just didn't know there were other tops! I was thinking something along the lines of the bearing king, or the elec-trick from yoyoexpert. What do you think?

Thank you,

robtsou

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 12:13:46 PM »

When I was learning, I found the Spintastics Sidewinder to be one of the easiest to learn to throw.  It's small, cheap, durable, and spins great.  Ripcords and BK's are pretty good too, I still have iffy memories of the original run which were pretty fragile for a toy you're supposed to throw, but it's a pretty easy top to learn on too and the new ones are way stronger.

The Gulia is great and you really can't beat the amount of spin you get on that bearing system but it comes at a price.

I also like the Spintastics HollowPoint/Hornet/Quicksilvers.  They were recently on sale for a steal.  Even at regular price they're a good top for the money although I'd probably not recommend learning with an aluminum top just because of the damage you could inflict on your surroundings.

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2016, 12:03:16 AM »

Good advice from Rob there.

Does it have to be bearing? I mean there is a lot of stuff to learn before a bearing top is even useful.  Throw to the ground, target, scoop, skyrocket, boomerang.  The YYF Short Circuit is a fantastic top for the price.  The button is WAY too heavy, but the top is excellent, and so is the price.

I prefer the simplicity of the Giulia.  The Sofia does not have any shortcomings.

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2016, 01:01:33 AM »

Good advice from Rob there.

Does it have to be bearing? I mean there is a lot of stuff to learn before a bearing top is even useful.  Throw to the ground, target, scoop, skyrocket, boomerang.  The YYF Short Circuit is a fantastic top for the price.  The button is WAY too heavy, but the top is excellent, and so is the price.

I prefer the simplicity of the Giulia.  The Sofia does not have any shortcomings.

this....everything this man says is wisdom..........also rob dont forget to listen to rob he also contains infinite wisdoms @-@

studio42

• Studio42 - Professional Audio Services
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2016, 04:35:40 AM »

My experiences are limited as I'm just approaching 2 years of being able to use tops.

For me, what is best depends on what I can currently do with something or my mood.... I may feel I'm in a QSH mood, sometimes I'm all Strummol8, or maybe I just want to throw something that isn't expensive but still fun.

The QSH I feel is probably one of the best values for a spin top, bearing and fixed tip. Just feels good. I was really surprised with how well they play.

However, I am currently all loving my STB 2.5. Last week it was my black Sophia(named Sophia the First... I have a 2nd one), but when I was trying to re-learn Crazy8 and MGR, I was all over my Guilia. Once that got reliable, I started rotating through my bearing tip tops just to reinforce the trick was learned properly, not just on one top.

So, for me, "best" is a moving target that can change without rhyme or reason and I'm completely fine with that. Just remember, what may be best for me may not be best for you. Then again, maybe it will be. What I will say is I generally go for my Sophia top. I just like it. It gets the job done, plays nice and I absolutely love the profile on it. But is it the best? I don't really thing about it that way. I think it's just as important to enjoy what you're buying and playing.

I also get it, we all don't want to get a "dud". I have to veer over to yoyos. Not to pick on YYF, but they make several highly popular yoyos that I simply dislike. There's nothing wrong with the yoyo, I just don't care for those models. Most of them have pedigrees of championships, but none of that matters to me if I dislike it. All I can say is I'm glad I was able to try them first before I had a chance to buy them, otherwise I would have been very unhappy with those purchases. Best? Probably. For me? Nope. However, I have no dislike for YYF, I have a lot of their stuff that I enjoy a lot.

So back to tops, or rather any skill toy: your enjoyment and/or preferences should be used to determine best. Price is merely a method used to determine value for purposes of commerce. With the top market being so small, there's no room for bad tops.
Chris Pickett, owner of Studio42 - Live Sound Production
http://www.studio42.com - Official Sound Production for CalStates  & BAC 2012-2017 and BEYOND!
Sound Provider for US National YoYoContest 2016
Cell/Text: 916-601-7089

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2016, 03:44:23 PM »

this....everything this man says is wisdom........
insert gif emoticon that alternates proud confidence then blushing.

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2016, 12:43:45 AM »

Dear Studio 42,

I am using tops for about 2 months, but very heavily. You know more than I do, so that is why I ask.

I have noticed that when switching between tops that there is a slight learning process to "relearning" every trick. Thank you for the advice!

I do like my Sophia as well and can whole heartedly agree with your comment on "best" and the importance of cost. Saying something is "best" is like saying a backhoe is better than a spoon.

Have you noticed any such "duds" in spintops? All of my spintops work very well, with no major complaints. I have never used yoyofactory myself, I prefer yoyojam. Do you have any opinion on yoyojam as opposed to yoyofactory? Most of my yoyo play consists of "yoyojam Pinnacle".

Ah, you are right. Would you give me your opinon on "duncan imperial"? I have not used my imperial since getting my LingDong. I cannot think of any advantages the duncan imperial spintop would have. I would be curious to know what you think about this top.

Thank you!

studio42

• Studio42 - Professional Audio Services
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2016, 10:48:41 PM »

Dear Studio 42,

I am using tops for about 2 months, but very heavily. You know more than I do, so that is why I ask.

I have noticed that when switching between tops that there is a slight learning process to "relearning" every trick. Thank you for the advice!

I do like my Sophia as well and can whole heartedly agree with your comment on "best" and the importance of cost. Saying something is "best" is like saying a backhoe is better than a spoon.

Have you noticed any such "duds" in spintops? All of my spintops work very well, with no major complaints. I have never used yoyofactory myself, I prefer yoyojam. Do you have any opinion on yoyojam as opposed to yoyofactory? Most of my yoyo play consists of "yoyojam Pinnacle".

Ah, you are right. Would you give me your opinon on "duncan imperial"? I have not used my imperial since getting my LingDong. I cannot think of any advantages the duncan imperial spintop would have. I would be curious to know what you think about this top.

Thank you!

You're doing stuff I can't do yet with spin tops. I don't pride myself on rapid progress because I'm typically quite slow to move forward.

Duds in spintops? Well, not a definite "yes", but stock, I'm not pleased with the Space Top. I had to add a #324 sized o-ring which fits where the crown meets the body(there seems to be a place it's supposed to sit) and then the top really started to play good. Before that, all I could do is clean the bearing and see what that did for me, which was also an improvement. It also took me a few days to realize the crown with the plastic ring(as opposed to the ridges) was the crown to use for tricks. The other crown is for battling. Also, it seems like it should have a fixed tip included. Bearing Kings, in bearing tip, I don't like out of the bag. I cut a longer string, then cut it to size, then also I clean the bearings so they'll spin longer. I have found for me, the stock string is too short. We ca go into the whole "string length" debate, but I know what works for me and that's what I'm sticking with. The smaller Spintastics I had a problem with at first because their rapid spinning speeds was difficult for me to control at first. I had to spend a few hours to get that figured out. I could tell right away what the problem was. So I wouldnt use the term dud, but I would use the term "not as pleased with".

YYF vs YYJ.... yoyo or spintop? I got lucky in getting a YYJ spintop. I like it a lot. The new YYF tops are really darn nice and I have no problem recommending them. Seriously, for $20 or less, you can get a Short Circuit and a Elec-Trick(non-LED). Talk about the best starter kit you can get. I haven't put the metal tips in yet. I have no issue with the Elec-Trick since it's a bearing tip. I don't like the burning feeling I get from the delrin fixed tip on the Short Circuit. I haven't played older YYF tops. But, if we talk yoyos, YYJ closed, as you know, due to the owner's health, while YYF is still running strong. Favorite YYJ? Hard to say, it can vary, but I am partial to the Phenom, but that's not to say I don't like others a lot too. I have over 80 YYJ yoyos, some in multiples(Unleashed, DM2, Feista XX and Tres, Classic). YYF, I forget how many I have, probably over 50, including some multiples, mostly in the form of pairs of loopers, but also 3 Flights, and 3 Shutters. Favorite? Equilateral, bit my 2nd run Shutter(US National Champion, blasted) is a good close 2nd. But that Replay Pro, can't be beat!

But back to the new YYF spintops. For the money, I wasn't expecting much. They certainly blew me away. I took them home from CalStates, photographed them(all new stuff gets photo'd before being played these days) and I was "oh wow, I wasn't expecting this". I was expecting crappy construction, poor spin times and perhaps some other issues. Considering I bought the Elec-Trick, Elec-Trick LED and Short Circuit with the tip kit, I can't say I was invested heavily from a financial point of view. For someone new to tops: these are fantastic. For those into tops: You'll like these. For the collector: You might want to stop playing them and leave them on display! For competitors... well, your call. I don't thing I'd compete with them stock, but you certain could and probably have no concerns. Super affordable, they feel durable, play nice and I think I'll be enjoying these for years to come.

I don't have a Duncan Imperial spintop, so no opinion. If I get one, I'll have to change that. For now, I don't have a need to get more tops. I'm pretty happy with what I have at the moment. That's not to say I'm not constantly looking. Currently, my STB 2.5 is seeing a lot of play. Currently, I'm spending money on a set of the 2016 Benchmarks or Boomerangs. As I'm fairly tight on funds, I really have to be selective in what I get this year.

Gustin Joss

• Superhero member
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2016, 11:59:10 AM »

The Chico 2. Whoever consulted on the design is a genius.

jmadrigal

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2016, 02:40:50 PM »

Neff
Taking your advice on the Giulia. Mine should arrive any moment now. Supper excited :D

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2016, 10:39:00 PM »

Excellent! Be advised, you can't throw the Giulia hard until you get to know her very, very well. If you have problems, a thicker string helps.

jmadrigal

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2016, 12:12:01 PM »

The Giulia feels quality in the hand, gorgeous to look at and the weight is ideal. Converted it to fixed right away and she plays like a dream. My only complaint is the sticker, which I removed after the first throw. Probably should just include a sticker with it but not a big deal. Will definitely pick up another one of these in the future. Thanks for the recommendation!

On a side note I was hoping someone could let me know a good source for wooden tops (good for battling).