iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Trompo Camp 2016 in Smyrna, Georgia (near Atlanta)  (Read 2972 times)

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
Trompo Camp 2016 in Smyrna, Georgia (near Atlanta)
« on: June 12, 2016, 07:41:41 PM »

Crosspoint Encuentro Church is once again hosting Trompo Camp!
July 20, 21, 22  5:00 to 7:00
- note - The venue is not yet confirmed.  If it is not available we will switch to the following week.
Chuck Camp Park, 2270 Benson Poole Rd SE, Smyrna, GA 30082, USA

Last year was a great time of spinning, eating, sharing the gospel and just plain fun.  We had both a past World Champ and future World Champs attending.  Kids from 4 and up spinning and doing skyrockets.  Miamisburg style battles.  Lots of Moms & Dads spinning.

More news as it becomes available.

Jack

• Demigod member
Re: Trompo Camp 2016 in Smyrna, Georgia (near Atlanta)
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2016, 11:53:21 PM »

Crosspoint Encuentro Church is once again hosting Trompo Camp!
July 20, 21, 22  5:00 to 7:00
- note - The venue is not yet confirmed.  If it is not available we will switch to the following week.
Chuck Camp Park, 2270 Benson Poole Rd SE, Smyrna, GA 30082, USA

Last year was a great time of spinning, eating, sharing the gospel and just plain fun.  We had both a past World Champ and future World Champs attending.  Kids from 4 and up spinning and doing skyrockets.  Miamisburg style battles.  Lots of Moms & Dads spinning.

More news as it becomes available.

spread the gospel....of the spintop!!!  ;D

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 06:04:29 AM »

Hoping for the best for the progressive event known as Trompo Camp!!!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
Trompo Camp 2016 Day 1 Report
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2016, 11:21:51 PM »

Day One of Trompo Camp is over!  What a fun time.  Not quite as many campers as last year, but just as well as we had fewer coaches.
Some Highlights:
The lower age limit was 8, but how could we refuse the younger brother (3 years old) that was so very fired up.  Rachel and Cody coached him to 70% success of good solid sleepers.  He exclaimed, "I'm bigger!" His Dad just laughed an laughed. 
We had a higher percentage of left handers today. I got confused on how to wind my own top after coaching lefties.
Orwin, the most experienced camper and a better target shooter than I, organized the Miamisburg style saucer battles and won most of them.
A new game we played was (game needs a name) First to Spin. Start with the string in one hand and the top in the other hand.  Ready, Set, Go and the first to spin wins.  Divide up in age categories.  The kids (in ranking order) each get to pick a finger top from the jar of Mike H tops.
Time to get some rest for Day 2 starting at 6:00 PM.
Photos as soon as we can.

Jack

• Demigod member
Re: Trompo Camp 2016 Day 1 Report
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2016, 10:59:47 AM »

Day One of Trompo Camp is over!  What a fun time.  Not quite as many campers as last year, but just as well as we had fewer coaches.
Some Highlights:
The lower age limit was 8, but how could we refuse the younger brother (3 years old) that was so very fired up.  Rachel and Cody coached him to 70% success of good solid sleepers.  He exclaimed, "I'm bigger!" His Dad just laughed an laughed. 
We had a higher percentage of left handers today. I got confused on how to wind my own top after coaching lefties.
Orwin, the most experienced camper and a better target shooter than I, organized the Miamisburg style saucer battles and won most of them.
A new game we played was (game needs a name) First to Spin. Start with the string in one hand and the top in the other hand.  Ready, Set, Go and the first to spin wins.  Divide up in age categories.  The kids (in ranking order) each get to pick a finger top from the jar of Mike H tops.
Time to get some rest for Day 2 starting at 6:00 PM.
Photos as soon as we can.

good solid fun, i admire your get-up-and-do-itiveness sir!!!

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2016, 04:49:51 PM »

Oh yes!!!  Trompo Camp is this week!  Thanks for reminding us and giving us an update.  It snuck right up on me.

Sorry attendance is not crazy high but it sounds like some of the kids are crazy high about spinning.  Glad you have lots of enthusiasm.  Also glad to hear the HDPE finger spinners are going to good use.

Go Orwin!!!

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
Trompo Camp 2016 Day 2 & 3
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2016, 12:28:58 AM »

Trompo Camp is over. Wow are we tired!
We had LOTS of late comers.  It is hard to figure out how to include the new kids and not ignore the ones that are getting on in the skill.  Thankfully we had good helpers.
One interesting thing was that a few kids clearly had learning disabilities. I am no expert on the topic but I was not willing to let go.  To spend a bit of time helping them know what to concentrate on, where to look and to stay with it, then to see a child's face change from sad frustration to happy accomplishment was quite a highlight for me.  The success gave the them drive to focus.  Perhaps it will be a life lesson for them.  We found a way to crank up the excitement on the change challenge.  Put a $5 bill folded in half in the center.  A few coins over it and is is harder to get out of the circle than any carny game, but it got everyone fired up.  A short version of Joe Mauk's "From the Top" before the closing picnic, really got the kids attention.  Dinner of Pizza, Pollo Mole, Flan and lots more capped off the event.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2016, 09:33:25 AM »

Love the change challenge $5 bill addition!!!

Glad to hear all went well.

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2016, 02:45:40 PM »

Great work, Kirk!

Jack

• Demigod member
Re: Trompo Camp 2016 Day 2 & 3
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2016, 09:28:36 PM »

One interesting thing was that a few kids clearly had learning disabilities. I am no expert on the topic but I was not willing to let go.  To spend a bit of time helping them know what to concentrate on, where to look and to stay with it, then to see a child's face change from sad frustration to happy accomplishment was quite a highlight for me. 

« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 11:31:42 PM by ta0 »