iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Beyblades  (Read 10904 times)

• Gold Member
Beyblades
« on: June 10, 2016, 01:59:14 AM »

Hello Everyone,

If you search "Beyblades" in the forum, you will find two results, one from a comment I have made recently, and this comment. I like spintop tricking, and am not involved in "battling", "finger spinners" or anything else other than tricking or "flatland", so I have little knowledge or interest in Beyblades :D.

However, I am absolutely DYING to know why no one in the entire history of such a vast, active and heavily populated forum, dedicated to spintops,  has never mentioned Beyblades, at least in passing? Why do I suspect that this subject is taboo here?

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
Re: Beyblades
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2016, 08:45:13 AM »

If it spins, we talk about it.  If it doesn't spin anymore, we still talk about it.

When I searched for beyblades I found a number of entries.  Try going to Latest Spin and then searching for beyblades.  Sometimes the search is a little touchy.  Try it a couple times.  Is the word spelled exactly right?  These are a couple of things I consider when using the search function.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2016, 10:51:23 AM »

The Earl has spoken wisdom. You need to go to the top of the forum before you do a search or it will only search on the board you are at the moment. You should find a bunch of mentions of beyblades (I suggest searching for the singular, beyblade).
You can also use the advanced search. Something that generally gives relevant results is putting as the username for the poster "ta0"  ;D ;D ;D :P :P :P

studio42

• Studio42 - Professional Audio Services
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2016, 01:51:21 PM »

My kids are on a swim team. Currently, we're all in "swim meet season". Sometimes they are at the team's "home" pool, sometimes at a different pool for an "away" meet. At every single meet, I see at least one of those Beyblade arenas being brought in by a parent for their kid(s). I also see various kids at practices and at meets with the toys. The strange part is I can't find them at any of the local toy stores. I'm guessing these are either not new, or they've been purchasing somewhere online.

Then there's me. I never know what I will be throwing, be it a spintop, yoyo, diabolo or something else(spinning may not necessarily be involved). Once the kids see me using a spintop, they tend to lose interest in their Beyblade arena and toys, at least for a while.

My thoughts: It's a toy. If you enjoy it, then that's fine. Then again, spintops are technically toys too. You don't need a whole lot of skill to play with Beyblades, which is fine because it's target is younger kids.  Chances are that the spinning beyblades will drive an interest onto other spinning toys or spinning things in general. Yoyo is fairly accessible, at least low-end models at the big brick and mortar stores. However, my ultimate opinion is that while I'm not interested in it, if you're enjoying it and having fun, whatever your age is, then it's OK by me. I'd buy some for my kids if I could find some around because 2 of them have an interest, one of them already plays with yoyos and diabolo anyways and is struggling on spintops. I might be tempted to get one myself just to see what additional potential they might have outside of battling.
Chris Pickett, owner of Studio42 - Live Sound Production
http://www.studio42.com - Official Sound Production for CalStates  & BAC 2012-2017 and BEYOND!
Sound Provider for US National YoYoContest 2016
Cell/Text: 916-601-7089

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2016, 06:35:39 PM »

i suffered though season 1 ........ i will not suffer the others @-@
i will however suffer playing with one if the oportunity strikes  ;D

cecil

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2016, 12:20:32 AM »

I want to make a video of my Ripcords throwing on long line busting up beyblades. I've looked at there videos and they have more hits than we do. If they see that they can fight and trick to maybe we can get more young members. I think I know what fun is with all the hobbies I've had. And Trompos are FUN. P.S and I don't have to worry about a GREAT WHITE taking a bite out of my but.

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2016, 11:57:39 PM »

I want to make a video of my Ripcords throwing on long line busting up beyblades. I've looked at there videos and they have more hits than we do. If they see that they can fight and trick to maybe we can get more young members. I think I know what fun is with all the hobbies I've had. And Trompos are FUN. P.S and I don't have to worry about a GREAT WHITE taking a bite out of my but.

and i want to watch that video sir  >:D

Nocto

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2016, 02:27:59 PM »

Hello.

I figured a topic about Beyblades was the perfect place to introduce myself, seeing as I owe them my love for spinning tops, which led me to discover trick tops a little while ago, and eventually this forum!

studio42 is partially right. They are children's toys--much more than trick tops--and the majority of players are children (some, like me, are adults), but they do involve a bit of skill, some in they way you launch, but largely in the customization. There's a whole community dedicated to finding out about those customization and hosting tournaments. I'd mention or link them, but I'd hate for my first post to sound like I'm shilling for another community.

If anything, Beyblades do feature some interesting and novel designs when it comes to the shape and gimmicks of certain parts, some that might even be interesting in other tops.

Anyway, nice to meet you all. Not the most talkative person around, but I'll try to contribute as best I can.

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2016, 03:36:10 PM »

Hello.

I figured a topic about Beyblades was the perfect place to introduce myself, seeing as I owe them my love for spinning tops, which led me to discover trick tops a little while ago, and eventually this forum!

studio42 is partially right. They are children's toys--much more than trick tops--and the majority of players are children (some, like me, are adults), but they do involve a bit of skill, some in they way you launch, but largely in the customization. There's a whole community dedicated to finding out about those customization and hosting tournaments. I'd mention or link them, but I'd hate for my first post to sound like I'm shilling for another community.

If anything, Beyblades do feature some interesting and novel designs when it comes to the shape and gimmicks of certain parts, some that might even be interesting in other tops.

Anyway, nice to meet you all. Not the most talkative person around, but I'll try to contribute as best I can.

welcome home sir @-@

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2016, 11:14:43 PM »

Hello Nocto,

Welcome to our little group!

You certainly know your stuff, and don't worry, you can't "shill" enough around here. YOu will find that our forum is very supportive of any entrepreneurial efforts you may have. This forum is dedicated to ALL things "top". You can't shill more than me, trust me. I hawk things here on the regular :D.

Now that I think about it, I actually do admire beyblades too. Why? Well, let me ask you, why do you think spintops are less popular than yoyos? It's because a new player can pick up a yoyo, and learn some quick tricks, right away, but to do ANYTHING with a spintop, requires some practice. This "learning curve" means that yoyos will be easier to sell and market than spintops.

So, why do I admire beyblades? Well, because they have found a way to market spintops, by compensating for this learning curve. In order for spintops to hold their ground as "children's" toys, they must find a way to eliminate the actual "throwing" of the spintop. Enter, "Let em rip". The ripcord design popularized by beyblades makes short work of this learning curve, thus acting as a quick introduction to spintops.

Sorry for the rant my friend. I wonder what you think?

Nocto

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2016, 12:32:45 PM »

Now that I think about it, I actually do admire beyblades too. Why? Well, let me ask you, why do you think spintops are less popular than yoyos? It's because a new player can pick up a yoyo, and learn some quick tricks, right away, but to do ANYTHING with a spintop, requires some practice. This "learning curve" means that yoyos will be easier to sell and market than spintops.

I think there can be a lot of factors in determining why Yo-Yos are more popular than trick tops. Knowing about them, for one. Perhaps older generations had them, but the schoolyards of my generation were filled with fixed or clutched Yo-Yos, marbles, and some Beyblades, for a time. I had never seen a trick top until I got interested in finding out more about other tops.

Space, for two. You can play with a yo-yo almost anywhere without too much trouble, but there are a lot of things to consider with trick tops: you need a flat surface to practice your throw, and that probably can't be your floor if your top has a metal tip, but you also need a wide open space and a soft ground when practicing your boomerang. You also hardly can practice inside if you live on the second floor up of an apartment, unless you want to bother your neighbours. Yo-Yos are also easier to carry, and the string neatly wraps itself around the axle. Trick tops are a little more awkward in this regard.

Community, for three. You look around the YYE forum, Reddit, and so on, and you see people getting excited about the latest colorways or new Yo-Yos in the ~$100 price range. Just search for the Executive Yo-Yo Kickstarter: under 25 hours, ~150 backers had already pledged ~$15000. There is also YoYoFactory on Indiegogo financing a Yo-Yo trip to South America by selling Yo-Yos at a discount.

This isn't hard truth; just my own analysis of the situation, but it goes to show there are many thinkable reasons why Yo-Yo might be more popular. It seems difficult to think trick tops wouldn't catch on just because they're hard or harder.

So, why do I admire beyblades? Well, because they have found a way to market spintops, by compensating for this learning curve. In order for spintops to hold their ground as "children's" toys, they must find a way to eliminate the actual "throwing" of the spintop. Enter, "Let em rip". The ripcord design popularized by beyblades makes short work of this learning curve, thus acting as a quick introduction to spintops.

While, of course, Beyblades are adapted to children—the target audience—I think it's a little unfair to say that the tops are easy to launch because of the audience. That would imply that trick tops are the definitive spinning tops, and there are plenty of tops around, and most of them are easy to spin. Most tops with an axis, for example, are either hand spun or spun with a handle and a string. Besides, I don't think trick tops would mesh well with the aggressive designs on some Beyblades; I can't imagine a trick top with "wings" would work very well.

Oh, and thanks for the welcome to you both!

Mark Magyar

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2016, 03:00:23 PM »

I found the last thread that I posted on about Beyblades back in 2011.
http://www.ta0.com/forum/index.php/topic,1161.msg19653.html#msg19653
Since Beyblades aren't sold in stores any longer and the Anime is not aired any longer, So many I think have lost interest.
In Japan there is a new Beyblade series which is Beyblade Burst. The Anime wasn't aired here in the USA on Cartoon Network or another channel, So the Beyblade Burst series never caught on. I don't have any Burst Beyblades maybe because of this reason of them not being sold in US stores But I have quite the collection of earlier Beyblades. Some Beyblades you still might be able to get on Ebay or other places but look out for the fakes.
And Yes, On occasion I still play with Beyblades even though the interest rate has dropped.
Beyblades are still a fun fascination to me...

Nocto

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2016, 03:32:15 PM »

I found the last thread that I posted on about Beyblades back in 2011.
http://www.ta0.com/forum/index.php/topic,1161.msg19653.html#msg19653
Since Beyblades aren't sold in stores any longer and the Anime is not aired any longer, So many I think have lost interest.
In Japan there is a new Beyblade series which is Beyblade Burst. The Anime wasn't aired here in the USA on Cartoon Network or another channel, So the Beyblade Burst series never caught on. I don't have any Burst Beyblades maybe because of this reason of them not being sold in US stores But I have quite the collection of earlier Beyblades. Some Beyblades you still might be able to get on Ebay or other places but look out for the fakes.
And Yes, On occasion I still play with Beyblades even though the interest rate has dropped.
Beyblades are still a fun fascination to me...

Beyblade Burst the toyline is about a year old in Japan and should be coming to North America in the next couple of months, and in 2017 for Europe and other countries supplied by Hasbro (rather than Takara-Tomy). The anime should also follow in North America before 2016 ends. So, it's not that it hasn't caught on, but rather that it hasn't arrived yet. It'll surely pick up here when stores begin to carry them.

The principal gimmick of this series is that the tops are meant to sometimes (or often) disassemble--burst--during battle. The base (Driver) has a spring-loaded component with two nubs and the top layer (Layer) has teeth (basically more nubs) that lock in place with the nubs on the driver. The metal weight ring (Disk/Disc) is sandwiched between the two other parts. As Beyblades hit each other, the teeth uncrank, and the top bursts when the last tooth has uncranked.

The series has had and continues to have problems with the burst mechanism wearing and parts breaking, but those are usually fixed as the problems become apparent, so the North American release should have less problems.

I can't say I'm a big fan of the new gimmick, but a lot of people enjoy it. It has other good points, but comparing the different series on technical merits and flaws would take up more time than I care to spend. You can check out the World Beyblade Organization if you want to know more. It's not official, but it's fairly big (not as active as before) and has been running for a long time.

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2016, 03:37:17 PM »

Welcome aboard, Nocto!

If it spins, we talk about it.  If it doesn't spin anymore, we still talk about it.
That's certainly been my experience. I thought I'd be laughed out of town with a first post about LEGO finger tops. Instead, I got a warm welcome, and they've been very good about keeping their laughter to themselves ever since. ;^} Don't know much about beyblades proper, but I do know that they're just another spinning top variant with its own fascinations and challenges, and that's good enough for us.

Is there a good place to learn about beyblade mods online? Particularly interested in mods targeting traveling behavior and the control thereof at launch time. What little I know about battle tops comes from experience with DIY LEGO battle tops like the ones below, but I'm sure that beybladers are way ahead of me.

The microwave platter is one of my better arenas. I prefer the ball tips because they produce controllable traveling behavior without too much wobble. Removing the ball to expose the splined axle it's mounted on yields more erratic behavior, but that has its own kind of fun.

The ripcord and spring-powered launchers next to the platter work quite well, but when the lugs on the rotor edges really connect at speed, both tops can leave the arena airborne under finger power alone. These tops average only 20 g each, but high release speeds (typically over 1,800 RPM by hand and higher with the launchers) arm them with gobs of rotational kinetic energy.

LEGO has never offered a set for making finger tops with twirlable stems, but their very popular "Ninjago" sets feature battle "spinners" launched with a shearing motion of the hands. Ninjago spinners rest on a weighted rotor with a very low center of mass, and therein lies their stability and staying power. The structures meant to collide and go flying when spinners meet (typically armed martial arts figures) attach above the rotors. Ninjago sets aren't my thing, but I like to use Ninjago rotors in stemmed finger tops like the ones below.

Thanks to the Ninjago rotors, these tops average 45 g with spin times of 120-150 sec by hand on a favorable surface.

There are many DIY LEGO "beyblades" on YouTube, but you'll have to judge how close they come to the real thing.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 03:39:32 PM by Jeremy McCreary »
Art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time ... and with spinning tops, we decorate both.
—after Jean-Michel Basquiat, 1960-1988

Everything in the world is strange and marvelous to well-open eyes.
—Jose Ortega y Gasset, 1883-1955

Nocto

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2016, 05:37:26 PM »

Welcome aboard, Nocto!

Thank you!

Is there a good place to learn about beyblade mods online? Particularly interested in mods targeting traveling behavior and the control thereof at launch time. What little I know about battle tops comes from experience with DIY LEGO battle tops like the ones below, but I'm sure that beybladers are way ahead of me.

I don't know of any specific place to discuss Beyblade mods online, but the site I mentioned is the biggest fansite, and certainly had its fair share of users posting about their modifications, like in this thread.

Most threads on the subject will be located in the Your Creations forum. I recommend you use the advanced search function, as that forum is also home to writing, fanfiction, graphic design and pretty much everything user-created and non-beyblade-related.

Another user has also begun teasing his own battle tops system derived from the Metal Fight series on pages 4 and 5 of this thread. The rest of the thread contains interesting information about the history of spin tops/Beyblades and certain toys.

If movement and launch techniques is what interests you, though, I think you might find a lot to like with the regular parts. If you're looking to control your variables, then the Metal Fight Beyblade series (other keywords include Metal Fusion, Metal Masters, Metal Fury, Beyblade 4D, Zero-G and Shogun Steel) is the best place to start. In Plastics and HMS (series 1 and 2), the tip is often part of the base, and not all bases are the same height. Usually, flat tips find themselves on short bases and sharp tips on taller bases. In Metal Fight, the base is divided between a Bottom/Performance Tip and a Track. Track determines height and Bottom determines shape of the tip. With this system you can try multiple shapes of tips on the same height or multiple heights for a given tip. In the newest Burst series, the base and the tip are back to being one part (a Driver), but all Drivers are the same height.

So, there's a lot to look at, so I'm gonna leave you with this link. It's a link to the category list of Metal Fight Beyblades. It's not complete, and the wiki is currently being transitioned to the Wikia platform, but there's still a lot of parts to look at. The nomenclature for Metal Fight is probably the best, as all the names of parts are in the name of the Beyblade. Example: Basalt Horogium 145WD. First word is the Metal Wheel, second is the Clear (plastic) Wheel, the number is the height of the Track and the letters after are the initialism of the Bottom/Tip. If there are letters before the number, they represent the initialism for that Track's gimmick.

And here is an old video teaching the sliding shoot, which is normally used with flat tips to change their behaviour. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dkH4NMzdL4&list=PL9865BE336BCB7779&index=4

Also, just a heads-up: In most organized play, modified parts are illegal.

The microwave platter is one of my better arenas. I prefer the ball tips because they produce controllable traveling behavior without too much wobble. Removing the ball to expose the splined axle it's mounted on yields more erratic behavior, but that has its own kind of fun.

Tornado Attack and BB-10 Attack Type Stadium have generally been considered the best and most fair Beyblade stadiums. Half the circumference is covered with walls and the other half is empty. There's a ridge about an inch from the wall so that the Beyblades don't just slip out, and aggressive tips can catch and ride that ridge. The size has generally been deemed fair for all types of play (the main ones are Attack, Defense and Stamina.

In Burst and Metal Fight, the ball tip was one of the first tips made available. Early on, it generally takes the spot for Defense tips, because of its fairly mild movements (when launched straight). It's usually not considered for Stamina, because of its higher friction than a sharp tip. For that, look up Wide Defense (counterintuitive name) on the wiki. The relatively shallow angle of its tip and its width made it a long-time staple for Stamina.

There's probably more I could say about Beyblade and about your tops, but my brain is fried. So, I'm just gonna say your tops look awesome and that I'd love to know more about your launchers. Also, I have a fair collection of 100+ Beyblades, so if there's anything you find that you'd like me to test out, feel free to ask. If I have the parts, I'll be happy to maybe shoot a video about it.