iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: QSH Tops  (Read 6417 times)

• Gold Member
y
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2016, 10:45:12 AM »

Hey Everyone,

Kirk, hehe, it sounded like a good deal, thanks for the heads up, but it's a little too late anyway. I am planning on buying a Strummol8. I would like the "BEST" bearing top that money can buy. Do you have any recomendations? I would greatly appreciate your wisdom, please!

Studio42,

Thank you so much for that indepth analysis! You mention that you have bought several of each, and I have heard similar practices by many other spinners. Why buy several of the same one? I can understand 2 to dual wield, but why have so many of the same top?

Also, the "Hornet" has a "hollowpoint" feature, according to spintastics that allows it to be thrown with a top inside of it? What's that all about?

I must say I am much more interested in the Hornet, because of it's cheap price unique tip, and "hollowpoint" capabilities (throwing two tops like that sounds awesome), and as far as bearings go, I am considering a Strummol8.  You do seem to really, really like the QSH and the HP Hornet. Do you own more expensive, tops? What advantages do they have over your other, more expensive tops?

Thank you for explaining the reason for the shape of the fixed tip hornet.

Thank you again so much!

studio42

• Studio42 - Professional Audio Services
Re: y
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2016, 02:21:24 AM »

Studio42,

Thank you so much for that indepth analysis! You mention that you have bought several of each, and I have heard similar practices by many other spinners. Why buy several of the same one? I can understand 2 to dual wield, but why have so many of the same top?

Why buy more than 2?
Well, the reasons range. Different colors. One to play, one to tweak around with... have multiples set-up so you can practice longer between winding them up. Sometimes you just see a good deal you can't pass up!

As far as the QSH, I have 1 of each. I'd like 2 of each. For the Hornets, 1 of each kind.(2 total). Trompo Grande? 2. Trompo Bearing, 1. I have 2 Sophia tops, 2 Love tops. I also have 10 BK's, 2 of each color(8 total), half set up as fixed tip, half as bearing tip, plus 2 more clears(bringing the total to 10) that are also set up bearing tip. I got great deals on them, most were 50% off, a couple were free.

If it comes to yoyos, I have multiples of several. Loopers of course you have to have in pairs. Off-strings I like to have 2-3 of a model I really like. Others, I have 10 DM2's in different colors, 10 YYJ Classics(each configured differently and different colors). Other multiples were the result of good deals.

Buy what you like, but don't spend more than you can afford. Have fun, be happy and try not to hit yourself in the head(too often!)

Let me address the best:

I have Strummol8 tops and I seriously enjoy them. Can't say anything bad except they can be a bit loud but I don't care about that. But, I read what Jack said about the QSH and had to buy one, and I did and I can see what he's talking about. In my opinion, despite the lower retail cost, I'd say it's performance is up there with the best of the best. It's seriously a viable option worth exploring. If I have to choose between my bearing tip QSH and my Guilia, I choose the Guilia because I like how the delrin feels. But the QSH feels amazing in play. In some cases, it feels more solid than the Guilia.

Don't always equate "best" as a function of price. Some items simply cost less to produce, for whatever reason, and the costs or savings are passed along to us. I must say I've been very pleased with the Spintastics products. At the same time, I do enjoy my Sophia, Love, STB 2.0, STB 2.5 and Guilia tops as well. Preferences are key. I mean, is a $289 Anglam superior to the $55 Shutter? Maybe. Both won World Championships. Many top players are using those inexpensive Cobra tops. Hard to question that!
Chris Pickett, owner of Studio42 - Live Sound Production
http://www.studio42.com - Official Sound Production for CalStates  & BAC 2012-2017 and BEYOND!
Sound Provider for US National YoYoContest 2016
Cell/Text: 916-601-7089

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2016, 01:36:46 PM »

I would like the "BEST" bearing top that money can buy. Do you have any recomendations? I would greatly appreciate your wisdom, please!
Dear 113,
When you get to be as old as I am, I hope that you too can learn that the pursuit of the best is full of folly, disappointment and unfulfilled dreams.  Chase after excellent, superior, awesome and amazing.  Those can be found in many places along the journey of life. You life will be better for it.  You asked for wisdom.
Oh, and about tops.  If one was best you would not see world champs switch tops mid routine to be able to do trick X then switch to a 3rd top for trick Y and Z.  for example, I think that most of us on the forum would agree that the S8 tops are not the best for Mexican style suicides.

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2016, 10:59:09 AM »

Dear 113,
When you get to be as old as I am, I hope that you too can learn that the pursuit of the best is full of folly, disappointment and unfulfilled dreams.  Chase after excellent, superior, awesome and amazing.  Those can be found in many places along the journey of life. You life will be better for it.  You asked for wisdom.

@-@

for example, I think that most of us on the forum would agree that the S8 tops are not the best for Mexican style suicides.

indeed.......i much prefer 4'' watts tops for those  ;D
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up