iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Stohr-spin whirl-wind comes to Miamisburg  (Read 2520 times)

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
Stohr-spin whirl-wind comes to Miamisburg
« on: September 15, 2017, 04:12:48 PM »

It was great to see Dick and Beverly Stohr last night.  They were in the area for another event and stopped by to catch up on the whirled news.  Our dog gave them a warm reception.  We talked of Iceland and air bases and Europe and cruises and giant Alan Gray tops and more.  It was a fun evening that ended with a trip to TJ Chumps for some good food and some more good conversation.  Sounds like they are doing well and Dick even has a spot in his new place for his lathe so he can keep spinning!!!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
Re: Stohr-spin whirl-wind comes to Miamisburg
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2017, 02:11:55 PM »

One thing I talked about was oil barrel spinning......55 gallon drum rolling on the rim.  I thought we talked about that here but Dick gave me a bit of a blank look.  I am still fascinated with that and think about this ever time I see a big barrel.  I finally found a video online that shows some of what I remember:

Dick Stohr

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2017, 09:01:51 AM »

Mike, What a delight to visit and break bread with you and Dawn. Good to hear about Worlds and Iceland. As I said I did not remember anything about barrel spinning (beer barrel rolling I have done) and nothing like what this guy does with a 55 gal. oil drum. What a skill! Pretty much useless but FUN. Can we add a drum spinning division to the "Burg" event?  ;) ;) Stay well and thanks again. Dick & Bev
Practice hard and play safe.

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 05:17:13 PM »

One thing I talked about was oil barrel spinning......55 gallon drum rolling on the rim.  I thought we talked about that here but Dick gave me a bit of a blank look.  I am still fascinated with that and think about this ever time I see a big barrel.  I finally found a video online that shows some of what I remember:

well........ ol jacks out to find a barrel @-@
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 02:16:49 PM by ta0 »

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 08:13:55 AM »

What a skill! Pretty much useless but FUN.
Sort of like tops, yoyo and lots of other stuff.  Wait, "Laughter doeth the heart good like a medicine." The man is a healing doctor!

I love how he stands and gestures while the drum is spinning.  He has no hat. Does he pass the drum when is show is done? I would tip him.

Be sure to file the edges smooth. No cut hands allowed :)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 08:20:43 AM by Kirk »

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 11:01:55 PM »

I think about the same thing every time I see this.....make sure there are no rough edges on that barrel rim!  It is drilled in my brain (from 4th or 5th grade) as we were playing kickball one night and the barrel was second base.  I grabbed the rim hard and headed for third but only got a couple steps there when the pain hit me and I started screaming.  The blood was everywhere and I was mentally scarred for life!!!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2017, 02:18:44 PM »

You are right, Mike, oil barrel spinning had been posted before but perhaps on the old board as I cannot find it. I think it was a different video, but I am not sure.
Anyway, thanks for finding this and posting it.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2017, 10:26:18 PM »

Thanks for helping me out, ta0.  I thought I was going crazy (or crazier than normal).  I cannot believe it was that long ago, though.  Wow!  Time sure flies!!!

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2017, 11:49:19 PM »

Be sure to file the edges smooth. No cut hands allowed :)

ooo quite right, i hadnt thought of that sir  :o