iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Spintop videos by Kuma Films & Taiwanese Tops  (Read 17509 times)

alan850627

Re: Spintop videos by Kuma Films
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2016, 05:04:45 PM »

Thanks! I looked a little bit around the website you indicated: there are a lot of pages with instructions! Great!

Yea, along with video demonstrations too. Quite neat :).

I think google translation says that both ropes get tangled after the throw

Google didn't get it quite right ;D, it says first you have to pull back half of the the string with your left hand, then the next half with your right hand very quickly, or the ropes would tangle.
This page (same website): http://163.17.220.4/whipping-top/skill/originality/top-hoop.htm has a rather low quality and loud video of the school team doing the trick. 

Jack,
It may take months for me to translate a site that big, so don't get too excited just yet xD.

alan850627

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2016, 05:12:05 PM »

Found a video of them in action!

http://163.17.220.4/whipping-top/skill/originality/mpeg/sound/sound-4.avi

I need to find some of these!:

EDIT: Seems like direct linking a video here cause some problems(?)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 07:32:39 PM by ta0 »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2016, 07:42:11 PM »

Mm, the video link appears on the preview but not on the message. I need to look into that.

163.17.220.4/whipping-top/skill/originality/mpeg/sound/sound-4.avi

Pretty amazing that they have time to throw and retrieve the rope between jumps.

163.17.220.4/whipping-top/skill/originality/mpeg/hoop-1/hoop-1.WMV
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 07:45:03 PM by ta0 »

Hroch

• ITSA
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2016, 07:22:40 AM »

For those who haven't noticed there is already behind the scenes video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5XUkAYFltM

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2016, 10:21:25 AM »

Thanks for the heads up!

My guess was that they made a living out of these performances, but the guy says its a hobby, so I was mistaken.

This is the contact info on the video:

Email: taiwan.top2006@gmail.com
Facebook: http://bit.ly/1SyE07w

lincolnrick

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2016, 10:51:07 AM »

The facebook page has some nice pictures and a few videos of young spinners practicing. Also some pics of 'double pin' tops with a real tip on the crown for UD spinning.

John Buechele

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
Spintop Snipers
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2016, 01:42:44 PM »

A friend who is familiar with my spin top abilities shared this video with me on Facebook. You all may have already seen it, just figured I would share it here anyways.

youtu.be/sLYazynm_1M

=========

Moderator note: merged threads
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 10:04:54 PM by ta0 »

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2016, 01:07:01 PM »

That video must be going around a bunch.  I have had several people pass that link along to me.  And I am talking about people who know virtually nothing about spin tops!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

Dick Stohr

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2016, 11:18:54 AM »

My woodturner club also made sure that I got to see it again. Yes Mike it is really making the rounds.  :) :)
Practice hard and play safe.

DannyBoy2k

« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2016, 09:29:25 AM »

What I found most interesting about the Spintop Snipers video was their throwing technique seems quite different from all other spin top videos I've seen to date, which admittedly is only a couple dozen as I've only just been bitten by the spin top bug.

The Snipers seem to throw with the top tip pointing down in their hand, but then throw with their palm facing the ground instead of perpendicular to the ground.  From what I can tell in the video, the top stays fairly horizontal until the very end when they give a slight tug back, which pops it to vertical.  Also, I think and want to check again with another viewing, they have the string coming off the back of the top rather than coming around the front when they are holding it in their hand.

Do others on this board throw this way?

~Dan

EDIT: Also, slowing the video down ('<' key), it appears their wrapping starts at the tip.  When the top pops off, the string is coming off last at the tip, not at the crown.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 09:32:07 AM by DannyBoy2k »

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2016, 09:36:41 AM »

What I found most interesting about the Spintop Snipers video was their throwing technique seems quite different from all other spin top videos I've seen to date, which admittedly is only a couple dozen as I've only just been bitten by the spin top bug.

The Snipers seem to throw with the top tip pointing down in their hand, but then throw with their palm facing the ground instead of perpendicular to the ground.  From what I can tell in the video, the top stays fairly horizontal until the very end when they give a slight tug back, which pops it to vertical.  Also, I think and want to check again with another viewing, they have the string coming off the back of the top rather than coming around the front when they are holding it in their hand.

~Dan

EDIT: Also, slowing the video down ('<' key), it appears their wrapping starts at the tip.  When the top pops off, the string is coming off last at the tip, not at the crown.

welcome home sir @-@

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2016, 10:54:13 AM »

~Dan

Welcome Dan!

The wrap-from-the-tip is an alternative way of wrapping that is used when you don't have a crown to use as an anchor. It works but it is more prone to tangles.
On the video they wrap in the same direction that we do and hold the top basically the same way, only that they twist the wrist so the tip points to the left (inside) instead of pointing up. Then they throw bowling style. They do this because the top will only flip a quarter turn with the string they are using. We can do the same with our tops if we use a slightly longer or thicker string: the closer the wrap ends from the center of mass, the less does the top flip.

DannyBoy2k

« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2016, 10:58:50 AM »

welcome home sir @-@

Thank you, sir!

Welcome Dan!

The wrap-from-the-tip is an alternative way of wrapping that is used when you don't have a crown to use as an anchor. It works but it is more prone to tangles.
On the video they wrap in the same direction that we do and hold the top basically the same way, only that they twist the wrist so the tip points to the left (inside) instead of pointing up. Then they throw bowling style. They do this because the top will only flip a quarter turn with the string they are using. We can do the same with our tops if we use a slightly longer or thicker string: the closer the wrap ends from the center of mass, the less does the top flip.

And thank you!

Thank you so much for that detailed explanation.  I received my first top yesterday, an Energia/YYF Short Circuit and threw until my fingers were raw from wrapping the string.  Was experimenting with minute changes to my grip and release to try to determine what was doing what, so I was particularly interested in understanding what I was seeing in the video.

Going to enjoy this hobby!

~Dan

Turegano

• ITSA Jr.
  • Turegano
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2016, 11:43:19 AM »

AWESOME   TAKESHI  AWESOME

TROMPO MEXICO

Pepe

• ITSA
Do you know Kuma Films? Spintop target + loooooong wire walker
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2018, 03:54:47 PM »

MODERATOR EDIT: I merged this post with the original thread. There have been several other threads about this video.
===============================

Do you know Kuma Films??

Those guys make very professional videos, you can check them in their youtube channel (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC497r18hyShx1ffsYcgK_kg) , their videos cover almost every crazy skill you migth think about, from diabolos, skates, cardistry... to pen spining, fire juggling... and... Spintops!!

They have 3 spintop videos, all of them very well produced, my favourite is this one, this target technic is sick! and the last trick  8):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLYazynm_1M

Do you know where can I find those spintops in Europe?

I guess in JAPAN at spingear.jp

« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 04:54:02 PM by ta0 »