iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: My 10" top  (Read 34875 times)

Jack

• Demigod member
Re: My 10" top
« Reply #105 on: May 17, 2016, 11:50:19 PM »

I’ll let everybody know I’m coming up on 71 years old

holy hell you dont look a day over 45!!!

cecil

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #106 on: May 18, 2016, 03:00:23 AM »

I love your sense of humor Jack. I do have a child's BRAIN.

cecil

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #107 on: May 21, 2016, 02:01:57 AM »

Left one is a trick fighter. Diamenter 3.8 at 13 Oz.---  Middle is a hallow trick top. Diamenter 3.775 at 9 Oz.--- Right side is hallow trick top Diamenter 3.645 at 9 Oz. The one on the left is some kind of spalted wood. I loved the wood so much I took the other pices and glued them to black walnut. Lot's of beaver holes and lot's of work.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 02:42:58 PM by cecil »

lincolnrick

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #108 on: May 21, 2016, 10:44:42 AM »

Really nice work Cecil. You've stepped up your game here. If I wore a fedora I'd tip my hat to you. ;)

cecil

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #109 on: May 21, 2016, 02:44:18 PM »

Thank you lincolnrik.

yollector

« Reply #110 on: May 21, 2016, 10:04:44 PM »

Hey Cecil,
You got almost 2,000 views
on this top / Wow.
I think its time to make a
  11 inch top !
        RFC

cecil

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #111 on: May 22, 2016, 02:07:09 PM »

Where do you see 2,000 views? If I get 10,000 views I will try to make a 11.500 segmented top. Black Walnut - Mahogany - Maple. It will be bearing. I just ordered bearings for the 10.5 top. I made this top straight tip for balancing wire walkers and stair way to heaven. Then I will try to put the bearings in.

Kirk

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #112 on: May 22, 2016, 04:50:57 PM »

• Gold Member
« Reply #113 on: May 22, 2016, 08:13:34 PM »

Hello Everyone,

Wow, Cecil, that is absolutely amazing! It must have taken a herculean effort to make that, and to throw it? ha!

I am extremely jealous! I think big tops like these are great for performances, and must be real crowd pleasers!

I have seen quite a few really big tops around on many youtube channels, and I would love my own! Is there any where that sells big tops? I don't have the "know how" to make these tops, and really, I don't have the time! I don't have Cecil's heroic determination and expertise!

Are these big tops dangerous at all? They look somewhat heavy! 

Never a dull day around these parts... :D

cecil

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #114 on: May 23, 2016, 12:46:38 AM »

Thanks 113. This top took a lot of time and effort. I'm retired and do have the time and desire to get in there and learn how to work with a big top. Yes the top is dangerous for an old man but it's such a challenge to throw. When I take this top to the park people just stop and look. There are people that make big tops for sale. And I'm sure the price is good. Believe it or not I put the price on mine at $1500.00. And this wood is pine. If it were black walnut it would be a lot more. Most big tops are close to five pounds and are bearing. This top is three ponds and straight tip. I want wire walkers and stairway to heaven. Hope - Hope. Then I would like to try and put bearings in. Jealous and disire are all it takes to get one of these tops for yourself. Small tops - Big tops === FUN.

• Gold Member
« Reply #115 on: May 23, 2016, 12:58:47 AM »

Dear Cecil,

From the work you put into it...1500$ is pretty cheap! I can't imagine how many hours of work went into it. However, I would not be able to afford that for a WHILE! I was referring to perhaps something a little more mass produced? They seem common enough around the internet.

There is figaro, then there are countless youtube videos of people spinning 6"+ spintops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBNkzrJzxHM

Like this one?

Do you or anyone else know about perhaps a more mass produced "big" bearing top? I mean, I understand that they will most likely be expensive, but 1000$ is way too much for me to even dream of at the moment.Are there any places that sell big tops that are made more commercially? In the 50$-150$ price range, or are all the "big-uns" custom made in a shop? I wouldn't mind commisioning someone to build me a big top, but my price range is like around 150-200$ max.  Are all  big spin tops in the Quadruple digits?  Yours is a master work of art far beyond anything I would be able to fully appreciate, even if I had the money.

Thank you for your inspiring video. I bet you get lots of people staring! It is beautiful! It looks like you are a magician!

cecil

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #116 on: May 23, 2016, 01:08:37 AM »

Watt's makes big tops and so does Alan. Like I said I'm retired and I have time but not much money. I make my tops where my son works. They let me come in once in awhile. C.N.C lathes are the way to go. But there is no money to be made. It would be nice if Spintastic came out with a four inch plastic trompo like there big one. A four inch top is perfect.

cecil

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #117 on: May 23, 2016, 01:11:10 AM »

Thanks Kirk. I've never spot ed the Read times. I was so HAPPY to see that number. Then I start looking and find Erick's post had 4,391 Reads. Now I'm JEALOUS. And white us UGLY.

• Gold Member
« Reply #118 on: May 23, 2016, 01:32:29 AM »

Dear Cecil,

Have you tried selling your Tops on Ebay or etsy, or on this forum? I am sure that there are people on this forum or on Etsy who would be happy to buy different size tops from you.  I don't know how much these things run for, so cannot say if 1500$ is a price people would be willing to pay. I am unable to buy it!

If you are looking for commissions. Is there anything you would be comfortable making for around the price range of 200$?  I would certainly consider your offers. And I also apologize if I have insulted you with my question. I am unaware of how you price your commissioned work, if you are looking for commissions, that is ( I may be mistaken!).

Thank you,

cecil

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #119 on: May 23, 2016, 03:33:04 PM »

113 I love your interest in tops. If I had a wood lathe and I could come up with steal tips I would sell them at a good price. The perfect top to make for me would be a solid poplar tool steal tip with connecting rod. A top like this should sell for at least $ 125.00. To me there is no money to be made by selling tops. I love my tops because they do PERFORM. I've made a lot of steal tips. It takes me about an our and a half just to make one tip. The next one is an hour. I make them where my son works. I would charge $ 75.00 for one tip. If I had a metal lathe at home I would charge $ 25.00, that's the difference. Hope we meet someday and you can test my tops out.