iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ITSA General Assembly: December 5th - 12th

Author Topic: gasing modern  (Read 1982 times)

Jack

• Demigod member
gasing modern
« on: February 20, 2016, 09:03:54 PM »

i need this in my life..........immediatly @-@

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2XGX9G5nWY

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: gasing modern
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 11:59:42 AM »

i need this in my life..........immediately @-@

These Indonesian tops are homemade:

These tops are made of bearing / ball bearing motorcycles that are not used anymore. Creative and unique. If you have a used bearing motorcycle or bicycle, then the bearing can be used to play rather than just thrown away or sold kilogram.

By the way, the democratization of movie making is one of the amazing things of current times . . .
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 12:04:50 PM by ta0 »

Iacopo

• Superhero member
    • Spin tops by Iacopo Simonelli, YouTube channel
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2016, 04:42:48 AM »

Iacopo: Taking away all the removable parts on Maxwell's dynamical top would leave something very much like your tops -- at least the ones we've been discussing on the "test" thread. Convergent evolution, or was Maxwell an inspiration?

No, it is the first time that I see this top.  Thanks to Jim in Paris for having posted this, because this top seems so interesting, and thank you Ta0 for the paper of Maxwell, I'll try to read it, and understand something more about the top.

I started recessing the tip in my tops after having seen the more recent design of the Malaysian traditional gasing, which is where my inspiration comes from:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PS78I0TY7sE&list=PLksvI9o_0C0_I_V4M2qxl1JWZAao9ULaB&index=3

This solution permits longer spin times, which is what I was looking for.   The bell shape then is a consequence of the deeply recessed tip, having pushed the concept to the extreme.

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 11:20:10 AM »

Iacopo: Wonderful video! Loved watching both the fabrication and the play.

I was beginning to think that the thin, broad, low-slung ring- and disk-like rotors I've been making with LEGO to maximize smoothness and spin time weren't all that common in the world of "real" tops. I chalked that up to play-related reasons unknown to me. But I'm now relieved to see that I've been in very good company all along.

Nerd alert!

The first gasing with the metal rim is what I think of as a "ring top". Such a top can be modeled as a thin (metal) ring of very high axial moment of inertia (AMI) with a "suspension" (central wooden disk, stem, and tip) of much lower AMI. The ring dominates the dynamics.

In Iacopo's case, the suspension has been morphed into a bell shape to reduce barycentric height.

Combining a ring-like mass distribution with a low barycentric height maximizes the entire top's AMI per unit mass while reducing its total transverse moment of inertia. All of these factors boost spin time by reducing critical speed directly. The high AMI per unit mass further boosts spin time by increasing the top's resistance to aerodynamic and frictional braking torques.

FWIW, AMI per unit mass is equal to the square of the axial radius of gyration. A thin ring has the highest AMI per unit mass of any axially symmetric solid by at least a factor of two.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 12:27:19 PM by Jeremy McCreary »
Playing with the physical world through LEGO

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 12:23:09 PM »

I hadn't seen that gasing video before. It is nice because it shows the names of each type of Malaysian gasing.
At the beginning it shows the flying giant gasing which, contrary to the regular giant gasing uri, are caught in the air and can spin 2.5 hours or half an hour more. With their recessed tips they cannot be spun on the ground.

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2016, 03:36:01 PM »

ta0: Do you any other tidbits to share about the "giant gasing", not the flying kind?

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2016, 04:26:36 PM »

ta0: Do you any other tidbits to share about the "giant gasing", not the flying kind?

gasing is life @-@

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2016, 06:33:19 PM »

Jack: Doesn't that depend on how old you are?

Oh, sorry, I was thinking there were 2 "s".

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2016, 08:23:38 PM »

Well, I have two of those Gasing Uri but I have yet to have a truly successful throw. I find it very difficult to keep the rope on the top. I know that in Malaysia they use some kind on gooey stuff on the rope, but when I asked I was told that it was car grease what doesn't seem to make sense.
If you search the forum for giant gasing you will find lots of info.

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2016, 05:32:52 PM »

Jack: Exactly what I was thinking, and much relieved to be wrong.

No, the other kind of relieved.