iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Worlds 2016 Cleveland preparation thread  (Read 17060 times)

kyo

• Gold Member
Re: Worlds 2016 Cleveland preparation thread
« Reply #90 on: July 28, 2016, 02:31:11 AM »

In reading about the event, I see where there will be a "maker space" with lathes and 3D printers.  It says it will be coordinated by our very own Kyo (Kyle Weems of Kyo's toys) and Drew Tetz (44RPM).  I remember being fascinated by the "lathe room" in the past but this sounds like it is going to another level.  Maybe Kyo can tell us a bit about what to expect and give us some inside information on this "maker space".

Like, for instance, the world yoyo website only talks about making yoyos.  Will we be able to make tops?

Yea, this is what we used to do jumped up several levels.. we are demonstrating desktop manufacturing with modern tools.

I'm bringing 4 3d printers (one of which will be given away thanks to a generous sponsorship from MatterHackers), we will have a Carvey machine from Inventables (desktop cnc router) as well. I was hoping to bring a small CNC but I ran into um.. well I broke it.

The primary focus is on yo-yos, since that's the major event.. but I'd be happy to talk about tops as well, all the same stuff applies from a production standpoint.

The general plan:

Each day we will hold a workshop session (aiming for ~10am) where I will randomly select someone to design a yo-yo. We will sketch it, I will demonstrate how to model it (I have a nice projector so everybody can see), convert that file to 3d printer code (called slicing), and make it. I will talk about the entire process, about how I test designs mathematically and how to tweak designs to improve them. I will also cover how you would make that design using the Carvey machine, a CNC lathe, or any other method you can think of.. but 3d printing is the easiest to demo on site. The rest of the day will be an open q/a with me and any other makers I can recruit and I will have the printers running the design of the day. The printers will spit out parts all day and night and the next morning we will give away whatever we have made.

Meanwhile, the Carvey will be producing fixed axle wooden yo-yos to give away. They will have the Worlds logo on one side and we're trying to set it up so that people can customize the other side. The machine runs on a software called Easel which I'll be showing the basics of and helping people create their designs which will then be cut on their yo-yos. Spaces will be limited a bit as we only have one machine, but I have enough wood for ~50-60 yo-yos.

If any of you guys want to stop by, I'll talk about tops as well and if there is time (I'm stretched pretty thin) I'd be willing to draw one up and make it.

My plan is also to be selling some finger tops at my sales table in the main hall, but quantities will be -very- limited.. so be sure to stop by early :) (I will probably release a few each day in different materials)

Kyle

Hroch

• ITSA
« Reply #91 on: July 28, 2016, 06:45:25 AM »

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #92 on: July 28, 2016, 06:55:49 AM »

Thanks Kyo!  I will definitely be stopping by.  I have a lot of questions but will try to control myself!!!

So, I see Kirk will be starting off the spin top show!  I always liked going first.  You get it over with and then you can relax and enjoy the other freestyles.  Good luck to all.  It looks like a great field!!!

I also noticed a women's final.  That seems like a good idea to help develop more female participants.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #93 on: July 28, 2016, 11:05:01 AM »

You are bringing four 3D machines? Wow! That maker's space will surpass Tokyo's, no doubt!   :)

I see they left two blank spots for Cuper and Fernando on the freestyles. They are not yet registered but I did upload their music. I don't see how we can put 10 freestyles in 30 minutes. Or they give us more time or we will have to have prelims in a room to cut it to no more than 8.  :'( 

Mike: the women's yo-yo freestyles have been one of the most popular events with the public the last two years. I see that this year Anne is not competing (sorry Jack). Betty Gallegos from Mexico should easily win it.

Kirk

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #94 on: July 28, 2016, 11:22:24 AM »

I see they left two blank spots for Cuper and Fernando on the freestyles. They are not yet registered but I did upload their music. I don't see how we can put 10 freestyles in 30 minutes. Or they give us more time or we will have to have prelims in a room to cut it to no more than 8.  :'( 
By eliminating the Prelims perhaps that leaves a hole in the schedule for all the "finalists"   I did not expect to be in the finals.  Now I need to work on filling 3 minutes.

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #95 on: July 28, 2016, 11:37:18 AM »

By eliminating the Prelims perhaps that leaves a hole in the schedule for all the "finalists"   I did not expect to be in the finals.  Now I need to work on filling 3 minutes.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 12:45:57 PM by ta0 »

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #96 on: July 28, 2016, 11:48:11 AM »

I see that this year Anne is not competing (sorry Jack).

« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 12:47:12 PM by ta0 »

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #97 on: July 28, 2016, 12:59:55 PM »

wait a second wheres durdak!?!?!??!

Gustin Joss

• Superhero member
« Reply #98 on: July 29, 2016, 11:55:14 AM »

Have the dates for Worlds 2017 been announced? I will be attending.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #99 on: July 29, 2016, 12:19:18 PM »

wait a second wheres durdak!?!?!??!
Mike is concentrating on 4A. I wish him good luck . . . but he had a better chance in spintops  ::)

Have the dates for Worlds 2017 been announced? I will be attending.
Woohoo! Great Boot!  :o  :)
I don't know if the exact days for the World Yo-Yo Contest in Iceland have been announced. Note that although it is most likely that the World Spintop Contest will take place as always together with the WYYC, it is not certain. An alternative location is France and I would not be surprised if there is another proposal  :-X

Gustin Joss

• Superhero member
« Reply #100 on: July 29, 2016, 04:01:15 PM »

Hmmm...I really want to go to Iceland. I have friends who are planning on making the trip with me.

kyo

• Gold Member
« Reply #101 on: July 29, 2016, 06:43:31 PM »

Not that I have any say in it.. but Iceland is a way cooler destination than France :)

As far as I know there have been no dates announced, but it will be roughly the same time of year.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #102 on: July 30, 2016, 09:08:34 AM »

Thank you Boot for telling us your preference. The Earl also wants to go to Iceland (both of you could pass as Vikings  ;D ). We'll try to have it wherever most players want to have it. I'll talk with the Icelandic delegation at worlds to make sure we are invited.

Cuper is arriving to my house on Monday (by bus after flying to Houston) and we are flying (in different flights) to worlds on Tuesday. We should be at the hotel by 4PM.

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #103 on: August 02, 2016, 04:58:29 AM »

high all ;--)

thanx to  Chico for your commitment and same for Jack

looking forward to see these great trophies in action

can someone post the link to the streaming video and schedule ? thanx...

the Olympics opening day is on friday too

cheeers

jim in AJACCIO
"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #104 on: August 02, 2016, 06:23:42 AM »

I am at the airport for a very early flight.
Here is a photo of Cuper at the Alamo yesterday.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »   Go Up