iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: world spintop contest 2017 in Iceland  (Read 45318 times)

Jon Gates

• ITSA Jr.
Re: world spintop contest 2017 in Iceland
« Reply #120 on: July 23, 2017, 05:37:31 PM »

Any idea when the trick ladder will be and what tricks are on it?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 05:46:41 PM by Jon Gates »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #121 on: July 23, 2017, 11:32:50 PM »

Any idea when the trick ladder will be and what tricks are on it?
Are you freestyling AND doing the trick ladder, Jon?
If everybody is available, we could do them Thursday afternoon. It would be an ITSA event but it will not appear on the official schedule of the contest.
The last list we used at worlds for the Sports Division (not really a ladder as you can select the order) was this one: Spintop Sports Division

The official logo of Iceland almost looks like a whip top, so I don't know if it's worth changing, besides SPINTOP for YO-YO.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 11:47:25 PM by ta0 »

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #122 on: July 24, 2017, 10:24:15 PM »

My manager and I sat down for some serious work tonight.  She helped me register for the Iceland event and then she helped me with her Amazon account to get the music downloaded for worlds.  It seemed to go very smoothly and I think I am all set.  I hope everyone else was also able to get their music taken care of!!!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

tkunkel

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #123 on: July 25, 2017, 09:44:47 AM »

Tom: I had guessed that you were not freestyling. Thanks for registering anyway, it helps us with the organizers.
ITSA will get a nice medal for the winner of the ladder  :)

We have not yet decided if we want to get special  ITSA trophies for the freestyles, mainly because the luggage issue (I am going going to visit Lourens before going to Iceland). Now, if somebody else volunteers . . .

If you need help transporting trophies or other stuff to Iceland, I may be able to help.  We are packing our bikes to bike to the highlands after the competition and should have some extra room in the bike boxes. Let me know if you want to send some stuff with me. 
Thanks,
Tom

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #124 on: July 25, 2017, 10:17:41 AM »

You got a great manager, Mike!  ;)

Thanks a lot of the offer, Tom! Today I am going to the trophy shop. I'll chose one that is not too big.

After the spintop freestyles, the over 40 yo-yo contest will take place. There are only two people registered! Hey, Jon, you should compete on that one! By the way, it looks like this will be a little smaller contest overall than usual, with about 180 competitors registered as of last week. In 1A there are 113, compared to 159 in Cleveland and 284 in Tokyo (around 500 between all divisions). The big difference is that there is only 1 local player  :o so the number of international competitors might be the biggest ever.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 11:13:27 AM by ta0 »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #125 on: July 26, 2017, 11:29:27 AM »

The organizers have told me they have a trophy (at least for the first place, not sure about 2nd and 3rd). So we will just make medals for everybody who competes. They will be custom "spinning" medals  ;D

Just 2 weeks until worlds!!!

I am actually leaving the 4th, so I can visit Lourens and his antique top collection just before Iceland. On my way back I am visiting Jeremy' and his Lego spintop collection in Denver!  :o  8)

I am freaking out a little on how to pack summer and winter clothes plus tops (and take Figaro!)

jmadrigal

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #126 on: July 27, 2017, 08:55:35 PM »

A friend of mine who also 3D prints made me this top. He painted Icelandic imagery in commemoration of this trip. It's a looker.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #127 on: July 27, 2017, 10:02:36 PM »

Wow!  8) That is a really nice paint job! Is the cap also 3D printed?

I know everybody in Iceland can speak English, but it's always nice to learn a few words of the local language.
The Icelandic language sounds pretty difficult, and the word for spinning top is a good example:
Skopparahringla. We should all learn it  ;)

Actually, skopparahringla could be a good pickup line for those looking for Viking love:

"Excuse me, how do you pronounce this word?" you ask.
"That's, skopparahringla. Why do you want to say that word?" the pale blonde asks.
"I came to participate in the skopparahringla world contest."
"That's strange."
"I think Icelandic people are strange. For example, you have weird museums."
"Ha! THAT museum."
"What do you think? Is it worthwhile visiting?"

Depending on the answer ("It's my favorite museum", or "Better visit the Hallgrímskirkja church") your prospects will be clear.  >:D

EDIT: Skopparahringla is the name found on Knut Hegna's old list of spintop names that many other websites have copied. A Google search only gave me three matches in Icelandic, but one of them in fact sells a plunge top and is from Reykjavik. The google translation is "bouncing rattle" and this would be consistent with a plunge top. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to refer to an old Viking top.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 10:54:36 AM by ta0 »

jmadrigal

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #128 on: July 28, 2017, 09:33:11 AM »

Wow!  8) That is a really nice paint job! Is the cap also 3D printed?
Yup, the whole thing is printed.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #129 on: July 28, 2017, 03:56:20 PM »

Good news! We are going to have time slots at a room downstairs for a spintop workshop, sports contest and more!
Who is in for a corkscrew challenge?

If you have ideas or preferred days, please say so!

studio42

• Studio42 - Professional Audio Services
« Reply #130 on: July 29, 2017, 04:06:04 PM »

A friend of mine who also 3D prints made me this top. He painted Icelandic imagery in commemoration of this trip. It's a looker.

Wow. That is looking great!
Chris Pickett, owner of Studio42 - Live Sound Production
http://www.studio42.com - Official Sound Production for CalStates  & BAC 2012-2017 and BEYOND!
Sound Provider for US National YoYoContest 2016
Cell/Text: 916-601-7089

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #131 on: July 29, 2017, 04:26:37 PM »

Just 2 weeks until worlds!!!

I am actually leaving the 4th, so I can visit Lourens and his antique top collection just before Iceland. On my way back I am visiting Jeremy' and his Lego spintop collection in Denver!  :o  8)

Looking forward to your visit, ta0! Better get those twirling fingers ready!  ;D
Art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time ... and with spinning tops, we decorate both.
—after Jean-Michel Basquiat, 1960-1988

Everything in the world is strange and marvelous to well-open eyes.
—Jose Ortega y Gasset, 1883-1955

jmadrigal

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #132 on: July 30, 2017, 09:26:24 AM »

Good news! We are going to have time slots at a room downstairs for a spintop workshop, sports contest and more!
Who is in for a corkscrew challenge?

If you have ideas or preferred days, please say so!

That sounds great!
There is definitely tricks I would like some guidance on. Mabey have an open tutorial session with requests taken.

I will participate in any challenge I can.

Any battle tops?

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #133 on: July 30, 2017, 11:11:10 AM »

Any battle tops?
Of course!  >:D There will be at least one. It will probably be of the "precision" type, everybody throwing simultaneously into a raised platform, the last one standing getting the points. We will need to secure some kind of platform once there.  :-\

Music upload was extended until tomorrow (July 31st).

There is an crowdfunding initiative through Indiegogo to support the contest. They started this late as it ends after the contest.
You can get yo-yos and T-shirts:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/world-yoyo-contest-2017#/
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 11:15:18 AM by ta0 »

jmadrigal

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #134 on: July 30, 2017, 03:11:38 PM »

Any battle tops?
Of course!  >:D There will be at least one. It will probably be of the "precision" type, everybody throwing simultaneously into a raised platform, the last one standing getting the points. We will need to secure some kind of platform once there.  :-\

What tops are used for this?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »   Go Up