iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: world spintop contest 2017 in Iceland  (Read 45319 times)

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
Re: world yoyo contest 2017
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2017, 04:43:05 PM »

My wife just asked me where worlds will be in Iceland so I did some searching and found this on the meetinreykjavik website:

IYYF WORLD YO-YO CHAMPIONSHIP 2017
10 August - 12 August
The International Yo-yo Federation is pleased to announce that Reykjavik, Iceland, has been elected as the host city for the 2017 World Yo-Yo Contest! Expecting about 700 guests to attend at Harpa Concert Hall and Conference Centre on August 10-12, 2017.

Harpa concert hall?  Seems like there might be a piano there!!!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: world yoyo contest 2017
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2017, 06:41:25 PM »

That is a pretty spectacular venue!

Main concert hall (but the contest could be in another hall):

Personally, I prefer the venue to be attached to a hotel. Anyway, it should be great!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: world yoyo contest 2017 in Iceland
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2017, 12:26:30 AM »

I have been told by the organizer that ITSA will be in charge of the spintop contest in Reykjavik.  ;D
There will be two stages, but they want us on the main one.  :) :)
I don't know yet about the availability of workshop/throwdown rooms.

Wow Air (Iceland) currently has flights from Miami to Amsterdam or Paris with layover in Reykjavik for $300 round trip, but not in August. Also very cheap from the West Coast (but does not fly from Texas  :( )

kyo

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2017, 03:25:59 AM »

You can find flights in August for cheap, just have to dig through their very bizarre website to be able to search those dates. I think I got there by finding flights from a particular city for an advertised month, then modifying the date ranges within their search results.

I found NYC to Reykjavik for about $280 on dates around worlds (allowing for a week stay and leaving the day after worlds). Would probably be worth getting to a city Wow Air flies out of and then taking their cheap flight if you're on a budget.

I'm actually going to be in Iceland quite a while.. my wife is coming with me and she has to be back for work by the 31st of July so we're going to do a week-ish there then she'll leave and I'm sticking around until after worlds.. pretty excited to have 9+ days to drive around the country and do some photography without anybody bugging me about being too slow ;)

Kyle

jmadrigal

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2017, 02:50:54 PM »

The Iceland Worlds website is up with information as of this weekend. They list places to stay in the accommodations section. Where is everyone planning on staying? If I go I want to be where the top players will be. 

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2017, 07:44:36 PM »

.. pretty excited to have 9+ days to drive around the country and do some photography without anybody bugging me about being too slow ;)
Kyle
Lucky guy!

The Iceland Worlds website is up with information as of this weekend. They list places to stay in the accommodations section. Where is everyone planning on staying? If I go I want to be where the top players will be.
I don't know yet. I just looked at the worlds site and the accommodations are not precisely cheap.
I guess it is time to look into this.

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2017, 01:04:47 PM »

Looks like this is the place to stay.  About $100 a night.

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2017, 02:00:40 PM »

looks good
but for 100$ it's only one bed/one night ? in a room of 6 or 8 ?

my budget says I could sleep in the car park or at a camping if there is one...

ITSA must look into this matter so that we could arrange a collective accommodation at a sensible rate

agreed ?

jim

"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2017, 09:09:45 PM »

ITSA must look into this matter so that we could arrange a collective accommodation at a sensible rate
agreed ?
jim
What the Chairman says  ;D
I checked on VRBO and there are possible places, although that week is quite booked.
For example, I found a nice three-bedroom apartment available on those dates that costs $285 a night for 5 people,  $375 for 8 people. Great location, about 600 meter from Harpa.
What do you say? August 9-13th (4 nights) would be $1500/8 = $190 total per stay per person for eight people. ITSA could pay 50% or 100% of the cost for players who are given assistance.

Ludo

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2017, 01:20:21 PM »

yess good way good idee bye ludo

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2017, 11:35:13 AM »

ITSA has secured a "command center" in Reykjavik  :) We believe this is a great opportunity to help attendees and to have a meeting place for spintop players when Harpa is closed. The total cost with fees (cleaning, insurance, booking) is around $60 per person per night. We have it reserved from August 9 until the 13th (4 nights). Our reservation if fully refundable until July 10th, but I don't think we will lack interested players.

You can see the 3-bedroom apartment here.
It is really close to the venue (on the next marina on the old harbor) and at the edge of downtown Reykjavik. I believe the black building in the background that can be seen on the photo from the balcony is Harpa.

If you are interested, please, send me an email. Some players will receive assistance, but we still have to discuss this on the board.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 02:13:43 PM by ta0 »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2017, 06:22:40 PM »

My plan right now is to take advantage of Iceland Air stopover program and visit Lourens in Hoorn. :) I am looking at a flight from Denver to Amsterdam August 4th, flying to Reykjavík the 9th, and returning to Denver the 14th. That will leave me Sunday to visit the Iceland countryside.
Anybody wants to share his plans? If there were enough people interested we could extend the apartment lease one day.

PD: For once the Denver-Amsterdam flight will be the top (instead of pot) express ::)

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2017, 05:28:22 AM »

WHAT ??
visiting Lourens before worlds ?? don't you try to double-cross me and Ludo!
blistering barnacles , you texan top-master!
we would change our plans accordingly >:D, if your majesty would dare to tell us more about these spinning plans
i have to check potcity to keflavik assap!

jim

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2017, 10:38:29 AM »

we would change our plans accordingly >:D, if your majesty would dare to tell us more about these spinning plans
jim
Actually, it seems that I am the only one sharing his plans. Is Ludo coming to Iceland?
My first thought was going to visit Lourens after worlds, but then it would bump against the solar eclipse and I need some break from tops and fun to work!  >:(
So, I checked with Lourens and he will be available the week before worlds.

I believe both Iceland Air and Wow Airlines sell their flights per segment, without one-way overcharges with respect to round trip. It would make sense for you to triangle between Paris, Amsterdam and Reykjavík.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 10:42:25 AM by ta0 »

jmadrigal

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2017, 08:46:16 PM »

Looks like me and my two traveling companions secured a place about 9min walk from the Harpa. Now I have to start looking for airline tickets.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »   Go Up