iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: world yoyo contest 2017 in Iceland  (Read 1826 times)

the Earl of Whirl

• Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
Re: world yoyo contest 2017
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2017, 04:43:05 PM »

My wife just asked me where worlds will be in Iceland so I did some searching and found this on the meetinreykjavik website:

IYYF WORLD YO-YO CHAMPIONSHIP 2017
10 August - 12 August
The International Yo-yo Federation is pleased to announce that Reykjavik, Iceland, has been elected as the host city for the 2017 World Yo-Yo Contest! Expecting about 700 guests to attend at Harpa Concert Hall and Conference Centre on August 10-12, 2017.

Harpa concert hall?  Seems like there might be a piano there!!!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: world yoyo contest 2017
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2017, 06:41:25 PM »

That is a pretty spectacular venue!

Main concert hall (but the contest could be in another hall):

Personally, I prefer the venue to be attached to a hotel. Anyway, it should be great!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: world yoyo contest 2017 in Iceland
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2017, 12:26:30 AM »

I have been told by the organizer that ITSA will be in charge of the spintop contest in Reykjavik.  ;D
There will be two stages, but they want us on the main one.  :) :)
I don't know yet about the availability of workshop/throwdown rooms.

Wow Air (Iceland) currently has flights from Miami to Amsterdam or Paris with layover in Reykjavik for $300 round trip, but not in August. Also very cheap from the West Coast (but does not fly from Texas  :( )

kyo

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2017, 03:25:59 AM »

You can find flights in August for cheap, just have to dig through their very bizarre website to be able to search those dates. I think I got there by finding flights from a particular city for an advertised month, then modifying the date ranges within their search results.

I found NYC to Reykjavik for about $280 on dates around worlds (allowing for a week stay and leaving the day after worlds). Would probably be worth getting to a city Wow Air flies out of and then taking their cheap flight if you're on a budget.

I'm actually going to be in Iceland quite a while.. my wife is coming with me and she has to be back for work by the 31st of July so we're going to do a week-ish there then she'll leave and I'm sticking around until after worlds.. pretty excited to have 9+ days to drive around the country and do some photography without anybody bugging me about being too slow ;)

Kyle

jmadrigal

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2017, 02:50:54 PM »

The Iceland Worlds website is up with information as of this weekend. They list places to stay in the accommodations section. Where is everyone planning on staying? If I go I want to be where the top players will be. 

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2017, 07:44:36 PM »

.. pretty excited to have 9+ days to drive around the country and do some photography without anybody bugging me about being too slow ;)
Kyle
Lucky guy!

The Iceland Worlds website is up with information as of this weekend. They list places to stay in the accommodations section. Where is everyone planning on staying? If I go I want to be where the top players will be.
I don't know yet. I just looked at the worlds site and the accommodations are not precisely cheap.
I guess it is time to look into this.