iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Welcome women spinners (flamingo club?)  (Read 7522 times)

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
Welcome women spinners (flamingo club?)
« on: August 23, 2015, 07:16:59 PM »

For one reason or another, we are a male dominated group.  I don't know exactly why there are so many men throwing tops and so few women.  In my mind, women can do most everything with tops that a man can do.  Yet, there are so few females tossing at festivals, so few women competing at worlds and so few women on this forum.  In the juggling world they tried to address this by having a "Flamingo Club" which was a space or a workshop just for women and to support females in their juggling activities.

So, you can imagine my surprise when a woman showed up at our top spinning festival all the way from Columbus (Ohio) which is 100 miles away.  I got to know her a little better at Bullwinkle's Top Hat Bistro.  She goes by the name of Lynn.  Her real first name is Peggy.  After a while we were able to figure out that I took a class at Capital University from her father in law.  He was a professor there in vocal music.

I would like to welcome her to this forum.  She said I could try out some possible names for her.  Someone said "Spin Lynn" at dinner and that sounds pretty good.  Maybe others around these parts can come up with other ideas?
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

mailman

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
Re: Welcome women spinners (flamingo club?)
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2015, 07:21:33 PM »

As a variation on a theme, I like SpynnLynn....

mailman

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2015, 07:23:17 PM »

As a variation on a theme, I like SpynnLynn....

I forgot to mention that I very much enjoyed spinning with her, again, this weekend.  We first met when she visited the RIT Spring Juggle-In, here in Rochester, last April.

lincolnrick

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2015, 10:58:54 PM »

Mike, was this the Lynn that we met at the Lafayette IJA festival with her husband Owen (I think.)

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2015, 11:11:17 PM »

Hey lincolnrick!  I believe so.  She looked so familiar and said she was at Purdue.  The Owen person is not her husband but a very active member of the Jest Jugglers club in Columbus, Ohio (Owen Smith).

Do you remember her stopping by and throwing tops at Purdue?  I do not remember that but it may have been after I left.

I love her story about how she got into juggling.  She was in a Zumba class but jugglers were meeting next door and they looked like they were having more fun so she left the class and joined them!  And now she may be a top spinner because of the whirling activities at the Purdue IJA.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 11:19:52 PM by the Earl of Whirl »

SpinLynn

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2015, 12:58:12 AM »

Women Spynners? No way!

Thanks to everyone for making me feel so welcome. What a great group of people. EVERYONE!~ So nice seeing familiar faces from RIT and Purdue IJA. I can't wait until next year!

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2015, 01:07:39 AM »

Women Spynners? No way!

Thanks to everyone for making me feel so welcome. What a great group of people. EVERYONE!~ So nice seeing familiar faces from RIT and Purdue IJA. I can't wait until next year!

welcome home ma'am @-@

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2015, 08:18:13 AM »

How many women spinners are there?  Not too many.  SpynnLynn is special!

How great to have two women spinning in Miamisburg at the fest.  Go Rachel.  Of course, there is Val Oliver and her many freestyles at worlds.  Marta in Columbia was on the world stage.  A woman from Italy competed in Prague.  SpinQueen was very active for many years.  Who else?  Were there any women spinners at worlds this year?

« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 08:43:34 AM by the Earl of Whirl »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2015, 10:33:40 AM »

Welcome SpynnLynn!

I guess you were not at RIT last year when I did go.

Were there any women spinners at worlds this year?

There was one: Yukino Watanabe, Yuki for short:

She works at the Nagoya museum and she is the sister for Daisuke Watanabe, the current Japanese champion. She plays really well (I think she should have competed) and she is a bundle of energy and joy. By the way, the reason her brother did not come to the contest or to see me at the museum was lost in translation.
Actually, Fujita's wife, Hiroko, should probaby be included on the list (I should have asked her to pose with Figaro).
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 11:02:39 AM by ta0 »

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2015, 10:51:44 AM »

Yippee Yuki.  Go Yukino!!!

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2015, 02:41:32 PM »

musnt forget an honourable mention of marietta eh @-@

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2015, 05:25:37 PM »

Is Marietta the gal from Italy?  Or was she from the Czech Republic?

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2015, 05:40:16 PM »

Is Marietta the gal from Italy?  Or was she from the Czech Republic?

cant recall but i think it was hungary??? here she is with her boyfriend whos name.......i cannot recall  :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DE23QAu2vM

mailman

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2015, 07:46:55 PM »

Mike, was this the Lynn that we met at the Lafayette IJA festival with her husband Owen (I think.)

Same Lynn, but I learned this weekend that Owen is not her husband (I had made the same erroneous assumption).  They are members of the same juggling club, and attend festivals together....

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2015, 11:41:21 PM »

Marietta is in fact from Hungary. Although you may not be interested, Jack, her boyfriend's name is Alex (Alejandro) Torres. A couple of months ago they told me they were considering coming to Tokyo to compete again.

I don't have a good photo of Hiroko with a top, but here she is facing back with Yukino, early during the practice for prelims. Her T-shirt says on the back: Do you know koma? It is from a visit to Vietnam.

Here is a video where Yukino does the 2nd trick from the third group on the Japanese ladder, "Lifting" [actually same word in Japanese: Rif(u)teing(u)]: boomerang to knee bounce.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjQJr-hljGE

The voice you can hear saying "you can do it" is Shogo's.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 11:47:39 PM by ta0 »
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up