iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »   Go Down

Author Topic: Report from W2015 in Tokyo  (Read 49217 times)

Jack

• Demigod member
Re: Report from W2015 in Tokyo
« Reply #60 on: August 18, 2015, 01:23:45 AM »

Prelim vid.
and Congrats to the finalists.

thats enough insperational material right there to keep me chugging along for awhile id say @-@

cecil

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #61 on: August 18, 2015, 01:46:00 AM »

Congratulations, Jorge! You have done so much for spin top throwers around the World. I hope to throw Tops with you some day.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #62 on: August 18, 2015, 07:41:03 AM »

I am glad that there was video of the prelims. One minute is way too short. Spintops are naturally slower than yo-yos and it is not enough. In the future they should be at least 90 seconds long. I think Shogo and Tsutomu made a bad selections of tricks. They can do some difficult and are more advanced than Taka. Even Fujita has more acrobatic and faster tricks than the sword walk (Dale had warned him that is was not a good idea).

I am back from Nagoya! Not only I saw the collection, but got to throw for several hours with Keita and Shogo. And they did for me, together with Oochan (Fujita) and Daisuke Watanabe' sister Yukiyo, all 45 tricks of the Japanese ladder. I recorded most of them until the camera failed. I also got translation and pronounciation of the names.

does anyone know what kind/name of the top that miki used in his epic performance??? i must track one of those things down if its the last thing i do dammit!!!
The name is "ChongaKE,  but don't worry I already have you covered thanks to the shop in the museum (and so is Larry).
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 07:49:03 AM by ta0 »

Larry D.

• Hyperhero member
« Reply #63 on: August 18, 2015, 02:58:47 PM »

The name is "ChongaKE,  but don't worry I already have you covered thanks to the shop in the museum (and so is Larry).

wow!!! Wow!!!   WOW!!! 
Thank you sooooooo much ta0!!!  :)

Myk_Myk

• Gold Member
« Reply #64 on: August 18, 2015, 10:56:33 PM »

It's so cool that there was such overlap between spin top cultures.

Yeah, similar to 2013 with the South and Central American players/styles in the mix.

Congrats Jorge! I'm truly amazed at how your skills have progressed!

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #65 on: August 19, 2015, 04:27:24 AM »

my face:

you are beyond gentleman status in my book sir @-@
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 12:10:18 PM by ta0 »

poptop

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
  • top dropper
« Reply #66 on: August 19, 2015, 12:12:54 PM »

Congratulations Jefe!  You are TOPS!
Erratic Wobbler

yollector

« Reply #67 on: August 19, 2015, 06:06:10 PM »

Hey Jorge,
I saw the trophy that they gave away
to the 1A winner . Quite impressive.
   Did you get a trophy also ?
           plmk RFC

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #68 on: August 19, 2015, 09:03:37 PM »

Yes, 60 seconds comes and goes so quickly.  One big mistake and boom!  Then those who need a few seconds to set up are at a big disadvantage.  I feel badly for the sword people.  It would have been good to have some of them in the finals, which brings me to another question.  Why only 5 in the finals?  Hopefully there will be an opportunity for more people to freestyle in Cleveland.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

Watts' Tops

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
    • www.wattstops.com
« Reply #69 on: August 19, 2015, 11:15:50 PM »

Thanks so very much for posting all the great stuff.  Am so glad to see the top getting it's due recognition and growing in popularity. 
Watts' Tops
Prov. 3:5-6

kyo

• Gold Member
« Reply #70 on: August 19, 2015, 11:50:54 PM »

Yes, 60 seconds comes and goes so quickly.  One big mistake and boom!  Then those who need a few seconds to set up are at a big disadvantage.  I feel badly for the sword people.  It would have been good to have some of them in the finals, which brings me to another question.  Why only 5 in the finals?  Hopefully there will be an opportunity for more people to freestyle in Cleveland.

5 is kinda the minimum you need to have a real contest.. but more would require a larger prelim round.

The yoyo divisions get finals numbers based on how many are participating in previous rounds so that you only have x% of the best into finals.. I feel that's a fair (and crowd friendly) way to go.

Kyle

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #71 on: August 20, 2015, 12:05:35 PM »

I am back in the US with a 4 hour layover in Chicago. Flew on the same plane as Rob.

I saw the trophy that they gave away to the 1A winner . Quite impressive. Did you get a trophy also ?
Yes, same style but without the 4 columns at the base. But looks bigger than 2nd and 3r place for yo-yos. I have it with me as carry-on (in a box). The guy at immigration told another guy: "we had several come through from this yo-yo contest, but he is the first one with a trophy" ;)

Dale Oliver was treated as a true celebrity at the contest. He was stopped all the time for authographs and photos. The attached photo is of a long interview at one of the after parties they had every night
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 12:08:54 PM by ta0 »

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #72 on: August 20, 2015, 12:42:04 PM »

I am back in the US with a 4 hour layover in Chicago. Flew on the same plane as Rob.

I saw the trophy that they gave away to the 1A winner . Quite impressive. Did you get a trophy also ?
Yes, same style but without the 4 columns at the base. But looks bigger than 2nd and 3r place for yo-yos. I have it with me as carry-on (in a box). The guy at immigration told another guy: "we had several come through from this yo-yo contest, but he is the first one with a trophy" ;)

Dale Oliver was treated as a true celebrity at the contest. He was stopped all the time for authographs and photos. The attached photo is of a long interview at one of the after parties they had every night

welcome back sir  ;D

mr. oliver looks like a dangerous something setting there like that in that picture eh @-@

yollector

« Reply #73 on: August 20, 2015, 06:53:16 PM »

Hey Kyle,
What ever happened with Mod contest ?
who won the girls class ?
cant find it anywhere .
         RFC

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #74 on: August 20, 2015, 10:37:14 PM »

Hey Kyle,
What ever happened with Mod contest ?
who won the girls class ?
cant find it anywhere .
         RFC

The Japanese team won the mod contest. The challenge was to make three different yo-yos per 2-person team in 60 minutes using some parts bought at a "1 dollar" store (100 yen store?) Kyle should add more info.

A little short-hair Taiwanese girl won the girls contest. Betty from Mexico was second. Ann (who was competing for the Czech Republic, not the US) was fifth. The full results are: here.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 10:52:45 PM by ta0 »
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »   Go Up