iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »   Go Down

Author Topic: Report from W2015 in Tokyo  (Read 49038 times)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Report from W2015 in Tokyo
« on: August 12, 2015, 08:08:47 AM »

I walked past the venue tonight. It is in the very center of Akihabara, the famous electronics center but now dominated by the anime subcultures.    Walking at night was a sensory overload, plus somewhat of a culture shock.  Here is a photo of the banner on the font.

I have an appointment with the beigoma master on Saturday. This is what the son in law wrote:
 "The master, my wife and me will be there, bringing a covered bucket for the beigoma stage. It must be a fun meeting.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 02:58:18 AM by ta0 »

Jack

• Demigod member
Re: Report from W2015 in Tokio
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2015, 11:25:55 AM »

your a lucky cookie!!!

I have an appointment with the beigoma master on Saturday. This is what the son in law wrote:
 "The master, my wife and me will be there, bringing a covered bucket for the beigoma stage. It must be a fun meeting.

it sounds like fun will be mandatory and not up for disscusion @-@ lol

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 12:32:21 PM »

Ha ha!!!  It MUST be a fun meeting.

Thanks for the update and sharing the picture.  It is amazing to know we are getting such quick and recent information.  My, how times have changed since I was a little boy!!! 
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 12:56:40 AM »

What an incredible venue! The first floor is open to the street on two sides, with two stages and booths and it is free to enter. So they are going to have tons of people walking by on that busy street that will check out the contest.

It seems that there will be prelims after all. Top five to the finals. Val, Taka and Rob (!) confirmed that they will freestyle.

I am attaching more photos.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 01:02:54 AM by ta0 »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 01:04:59 AM »

Anything familiar?

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 01:30:39 AM »

Anything familiar?

does that nobble chin belong to...................mr. neff!!!

also where the hell was that ta0 there seems to be a yellow stromol8 in the back there eh!?!?

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2015, 07:58:15 AM »

Good eye Jack! On both counts! That is from Taka's booth. He had an LCD sreen  among the Chinese tops showing the  S8 video contest nix. So other fine players from this forum are showing their skills in Tokyo (eg Daveid).
Yes, that is a yellow Giulia. He also had other S8 tops, even the STB 3.0.

I met Mike  and we  played together. He has really good freestyle moves and he is definitely a cntender. He is only 15.  I can see him chhallenging Tyler next year.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 08:05:25 AM by ta0 »

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2015, 01:29:19 PM »

believe it or not Jorge
i'm at the "texas café" here in ajaccio
!!
ordered a DOS EQUIS and nachos with my mom
the wifi connexion is working perfectly

good moves in japan land ;-)
hello val for me and Quentin Godet too
when is the tops contest ? tomorro ?

thinking strong of you

i'll keep plugged for the w end to see the freestyles

salute

jim in corsica
"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2015, 05:39:00 PM »

Salut Jim!
Spintop prelims are Saturday 11AM (Friday 10 PM EDT in US) but those are on the B1 floor so I don't think they are broadcasted). Spintop finals are on the main stage Saturday at 5PM, or 4AM EDT(9AM Ajaccio time?)
I already met Quentin and he tried my tops. I gave him your ITSA patches.

The meeting with the beigoma master is today (Friday morning in Japan) not Saturday as I previously wrote.
I must still have some jet lag as I woke very early today. I thought I felt an earthquake at 5:15AM and I just saw there  was in fact one.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 05:46:35 PM by ta0 »

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2015, 05:57:00 PM »

I thought I felt an earthquake at 5:15AM and I just saw there  was in fact one.

the island nation of japan cannot handle your spintop skill so the very landscape quakes beneath your feet...........@-@

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: Report from W2015 in Tokyo
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2015, 03:21:19 AM »

It is really hot and humid now in Tokyo: at least one thing similar to Texas  :P

I met with the beigoma master but it almost did not happen because of some confusion. I got two beautiful beigomas, plus string, plus a kit to build an arena from a bucket. I have video of him throwing to a contraption that looks vaguely similar to a kendama. You will see it is pretty crazy, but the video and photos I took with my camera and not the phone so I will upload them when I am back.

Attached is a photo of the US team on the Iron Mode Challenge composed of Rob and Kyo (on the  first floor bigger stage).  A sharp eye  might perceive my contribution to the contest . . .

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2015, 06:46:54 AM »

Kyo!!!  Rob!!!  Good picture.  It is neat to see some familiar faces.  Hope the competition went well.

Glad you were able to meet with the beigoma master.  Sounds pretty cool.

I cannot believe there will have to be prelims.  That is exciting news for the top spinning world!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2015, 04:58:22 PM »

Well, maybe it is the jet lag, but most likely the excitment of the big day: I am already up and it is  5:30 AM.  I don't know if the koma players coming from Nagoya are already in Tokyo or are on their way this morning.

The stage for the finals on the second floor is impressive. But I like the first floor stage with the flags of the 32 countries represented on the yo-yo contest (I believe 3 of those on the spintop freestyles).

An interesting annecdote: Taka first met the owner of the Nagoya museum in Colombia! They were "cultural ambassadors" during the trompo tournament. The next year they did the same thing in Indonesia. I need to ask Taka about that trip.

A got already two new Figaro inductees, one of the main guys from Czech Republic and John Wolfe, a friend of Mark H. Plus the beigoma master (but with Figaro not spinning on his hand). By the end of the day I should have quite a few more.

A long but exciting day ahead!  8)

CUPER

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2015, 05:18:21 PM »

zaludoz jorg alpendiente...zaludoz

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2015, 06:47:48 PM »

Well, maybe it is the jet lag, but most likely the excitment of the big day: I am already up and it is  5:30 AM.  I don't know if the koma players coming from Nagoya are already in Tokyo or are on their way this morning.

The stage for the finals on the second floor is impressive. But I like the first floor stage with the flags of the 32 countries represented on the yo-yo contest (I believe 3 of those on the spintop freestyles).

An interesting annecdote: Taka first met the owner of the Nagoya museum in Colombia! They were "cultural ambassadors" during the trompo tournament. The next year they did the same thing in Indonesia. I need to ask Taka about that trip.

A got already two new Figaro inductees, one of the main guys from Czech Republic and John Wolfe, a friend of Mark H. Plus the beigoma master (but with Figaro not spinning on his hand). By the end of the day I should have quite a few more.

A long but exciting day ahead!  8)

excelent reports ta0!!! which czech player was it eh???
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »   Go Up