iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: thoughts about sound in tops specifically a music box  (Read 2937 times)

Daveid

• ITSA Jr.
  • pinwheels
thoughts about sound in tops specifically a music box
« on: June 23, 2015, 07:45:48 PM »

I don't think it's going to work at all to put a music box in a top and have it play while spinning (unless I engineered a music box and a top into the same object, like built them as one thing and figured out a way to run it on the spin)...

I think putting a music box in a top would be neat, but I think that even If I line up the axis of the top with the axis of the flywheel in the box, the force on the parts of the music box from the spin would prevent function.
like I always say:dead monkeys don't fly on sticks.

Jack

• Demigod member
Re: thoughts about sound in tops specifically a music box
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 09:31:46 PM »

the only way i see that could work is with a gyroscope attached to the musicbox which is attached to the tip which would move freally from the outer body of the top, said outter body of the top would then have to have a gear type mechanism acting apon the internal music box which is being stabalized by the internal groscope..........maybe? @-@

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 08:42:06 AM »

OK Daveid you got me thinking. A bearing top with a rubber roller on the inside of the tip could be used to drive an old music box from the fan.  You would need to check rotation direction of course. Scan of drawing to follow.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 06:54:27 PM »

I agree with Daveid that it would be quite difficult to fit a preexisting music box into a top.
The idea of having a top play music has been pretty popular, with many approaches. They were called choral/singing/sounding/musical/etc. spinning tops. Considering that at the turn of the previous century the interest in both music boxes and ingenious mechanical spinning tops were both at a peak, I bet there were many incarnations of music boxes as tops. But I suspect full music box-tops would have cheated by fixing the tip to a base, like this one (pat US748087):

« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 07:28:59 PM by ta0 »

Daveid

• ITSA Jr.
  • pinwheels
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 07:12:25 PM »

After finding this image, im wondering if what I was referring to as a flywheel is what kirk is calling a fan and the image is calling a fan fly... and I don't know what you mean about the rubber roller but now im thinking it'd work to line the fan fly up with the tip and have it be a solid connection to the bearing tip and have the music box be solidly attached to the top body...

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 01:05:52 AM »

Making the fan fly line up with the tip would be very tough.  The gear fit needed is very precise. That is why I proposed putting a rubber roller or a pulley on place of the fan fly. Then you could move balance point of the music box closer to the center of the top.