iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Countdown to Miamisburg!!  (Read 22879 times)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: Countdown to Miamisburg!!
« Reply #60 on: August 20, 2015, 01:08:14 PM »

This sounds like a great meet that I am going to miss  :( I wish I could be  there.
Hopefuly we can combine it with worlds in Cleveland next year. It could be epic!

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #61 on: August 20, 2015, 04:34:25 PM »

What?  Really?  Have you thought about all the ramifications?  I would be happy to share some of that here so people better understand what it takes to put our festival together and so people will also understand the energy output at worlds.  I wish I was still a young man but my family reminds me over and over that I am "gramps"!!!

By the way, the weather looks great for Saturday.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 05:08:21 PM by the Earl of Whirl »
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #62 on: August 20, 2015, 09:36:42 PM »

What?  Really?  Have you thought about all the ramifications?  I would be happy to share some of that here so people better understand what it takes to put our festival together and so people will also understand the energy output at worlds.
What I was thinking was in having the festival right after worlds. The spintop freestyles will probably be Friday. If the Miamisburg festival is Saturday, those of us who are not much of yo-yo players would come. But to get everybody we would need the festival to be Sunday afternoon.
I expect next year worlds, because of the location, to break all records for US spintop players. Plus probably Japanese (Taka and Keita) and perhaps Colombian and Mexican.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #63 on: August 20, 2015, 10:04:56 PM »

Yes, I think worlds next year will be totally and amazingly wonderful with all the anxious US spinners ready to get together (after a two year absence).  I am excited about that.

I am not excited about missing some of that time to come back to run a festival, though.  Plus, I will indeed be very very tired.  It is not as easy as it used to be to participate so fully in these international events, not to mention how tired I get in Miamisburg trying to set up tables, sound system, run battles and then clean up.  Some years are not as bad but when it is hot I am totally wiped out.

Our fest has grown because of connections with other events.  The car cruise-in is the 4th Saturday in August and what you are proposing is the first Saturday and Sunday in August. 

The mayor has always been around when we do it with other events, also.  He may not be able to be with us if we hold it that early.

Children will not be in school yet in early August.  In fact, many will be taking their last minute vacations.  It will be hard to get as many youth throwers there and that is a big part of our Miamisburg fest.

I will not be able to be calling people and making last minute preparations if I am in Cleveland at worlds.  This is a big part of what keeps this local fest going.  There are a lot of little things that need to be done and it is hard enough to get them done as it is, much less trying to do it a week or so before the event.  In fact, I dreamed that some significant time right before worlds would be spent getting ready for freestyles.  I will be 63.  This may be my last chance.  I will be 66 next time it in the US......then 69.  You get what I am saying.  Time flies quickly and I need to take advantage of the time that is here now.

And also, the whole time I will be at worlds I will be worrying about the Miamisburg fest.  Just imagining all of these items is making this old man tired!!!

What is picking me up at this moment is a package I just received from Daveid.  Wow, has he made an amazing super glue top.  And the great news is that everyone who comes to our fest will be able to try it.  The colors are fantastic and the praying hands on the side are very appropriate.  Thanks so much, Daveid.  You are the best!!!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 03:45:00 AM by the Earl of Whirl »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #64 on: August 20, 2015, 10:12:59 PM »

I understand, Mike. It was an idea, but if it cannot be done, so be it. But be prepared (and JohnM), to receive some visitors driving from Cleveland  ;)

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #65 on: August 21, 2015, 12:01:20 AM »

How about a very low key event, like a post world's picnic on Sunday by the Miami River.
"Kids! Come and get coaching from, the world's best top players. Prepare for the Whirled Festival of Tops.  Spinning Fun for All!"
I don't know how good of an idea this is, but how bad a day be when you stop by Subway get a sandwich to go and meet your friends by the river to throw tops?

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #66 on: August 21, 2015, 10:08:49 PM »

I will probably be busy on Sunday morning (I am still not sure if I will take that Sunday off or not) but I should be around in the afternoon.  I might be a little sleepy and take some small naps while throwing, but I will do what I can to be a nice host (and not too grouchy from lack of sleep).

I am on the lookout for Mark Hayward but took my dog for a little walk.  When I came back I heard that some man was here and said they would see me in the morning  JNeff?  Hickersons?  Kirk?  Mailman?  My guess is JNeff.  Sorry I missed you!!!

By the way, I tried out Daveid's praying hands top.  Wow, does it regenerate nicely.  Great work, Sir D.  It not only looks great but it plays great!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 10:11:36 PM by the Earl of Whirl »

Daveid

• ITSA Jr.
  • pinwheels
« Reply #67 on: August 21, 2015, 10:36:08 PM »

By the way, I tried out Daveid's praying hands top.  Wow, does it regenerate nicely.  Great work, Sir D.  It not only looks great but it plays great!

Oh goodie!
 I didn't thoroughly check, im a little curious maybe it wouldn't be noticeable, but it may be wobbly on the floor while smooth on the string... always a possibility of the neck not being perfectly lined up with the point...
like I always say:dead monkeys don't fly on sticks.

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #68 on: August 21, 2015, 10:47:34 PM »

When I came back I heard that some man was here and said they would see me in the morning  JNeff?  Hickersons?  Kirk?  Mailman?  My guess is JNeff.  Sorry I missed you!!!
Not us. We just now arrived.  What time will folk be arriving at St Jacob's?

mailman

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #69 on: August 22, 2015, 07:46:29 AM »

When I came back I heard that some man was here and said they would see me in the morning  JNeff?  Hickersons?  Kirk?  Mailman?  My guess is JNeff.  Sorry I missed you!!!
Not us. We just now arrived.  What time will folk be arriving at St Jacob's?

The plan is 9:00 am.  We'll see you there!

JMauk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
« Reply #70 on: August 22, 2015, 08:28:11 AM »

It was me.  My hosts here in Centerville took us out to dinner and then we cruised around the metropolis of Miamisburg.  I think I just missed seeing you twice as we toured around!  See you soon.
Joe
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5   Go Up