iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Countdown to Miamisburg!!  (Read 22881 times)

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
Re: Countdown to Miamisburg!!
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2015, 09:43:25 PM »

It is now officially one month until the Miamisburg Whirled Top Festival.  I know it is exactly one month because tonight was the July car cruise in throughout our downtown.  For the past 13 years we have scheduled our event around the August car cruise in.  It worked well for many years as we were right in the middle of everything just north of the Baum Opera House and under the overhang for the Civic Center annex.  But the cruise in moved a couple years ago to the newer area being developed by the river so it has started being more and more quiet around our spot.  I asked if we could move to the music stage and we have the official OK.  Tonight, though, as we walked through the cruise in, there was a band playing and I worried that this might be the case next month.  I don't think they started until 7:00 but that still would push us in getting all our battles in and then having time with the adults in the grass.  I will have to do some checking on this.

Hope all is well in Corsica with the wildlife and fun.  Jim, just in case you are thinking about coming to the 'Burg this year here are some places you can stay (mailman asked so I thought I would pass this information along).
Kirk and Rachel like to stay at the English Manor Bed and Breakfast.  It is within walking distance of the church and the spinning area.  It is something like $100 a night and that includes breakfast.  The Hickerson's like to stay out near the Mall.  I forget exactly which motel they stay in but some of the options include: Hawthorn Suites, Courtyard Dayton South, Hampton Inn and others.  Hope this helps.

Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

MarkHayward

• ITSA
    • www.markhayward.net
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2015, 11:26:10 PM »

I want to go to Cincinnati and talk about tops some more. Has any sort of plan for a visit been discussed?

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2015, 11:49:09 PM »

No official discussions that I know of.  Rachel and I and also the Hickersons drive through Cinci and usually stop in to meet with JohnM on Friday.

MarkHayward

• ITSA
    • www.markhayward.net
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2015, 12:04:31 AM »

Ok, well keep us posted. I could meet you there.

johnm

• Ultrahero member
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2015, 09:14:27 PM »

I am taking Friday as a vacation day to meet with the Hickersons.  No timing has been discussed but the plan is to do a run of the rotational molder (discussed in this thread link = rotomolder ).  The rest of the time is up for anything.

In some previous years, some festival attendees visited on Sunday which is again an option for this year.

It should be noted that Monday is the first day of the semester here at UC so Thursday and Friday (and somewhat lesser the weekend) are move-in days for on campus and off campus student residents so parking and driving could be inconvenient but not impossible.

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2015, 09:26:35 PM »

No timing has been discussed but the plan is to do a run of the rotational molder (discussed in this thread link =

mfw i read about the roto-molder being run

« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 10:38:48 PM by ta0 »

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2015, 01:52:19 PM »

Good news!!!  I just got the word from freelance writer Katie Christoff that pictures Jay Robinson sent her are great and will be used in an upcoming article in the Dayton City Paper!!!  She said to look for it next Tuesday......8/11.  For the article she interviewed me and also looked at miamisburg.org/tops and even itopspin.com for comments about last year's fest.  Hope the article turns out nicely.  Maybe I can make copies of that and pass it around as I make my rounds in our area? 

Every once in a while I run across this article from another year.  Nice picture, Eli!!!
http://www.daytoncitypaper.com/give-it-a-spin/

Eli Hickerson

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2015, 03:11:28 PM »

Every once in a while I run across this article from another year.  Nice picture, Eli!!!
http://www.daytoncitypaper.com/give-it-a-spin/

Earl you will be the one wearing a national championship hat this year.

mailman

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2015, 04:53:13 PM »

I am taking Friday as a vacation day to meet with the Hickersons.  No timing has been discussed but the plan is to do a run of the rotational molder (discussed in this thread link = rotomolder ).  The rest of the time is up for anything.

In some previous years, some festival attendees visited on Sunday which is again an option for this year.

It should be noted that Monday is the first day of the semester here at UC so Thursday and Friday (and somewhat lesser the weekend) are move-in days for on campus and off campus student residents so parking and driving could be inconvenient but not impossible.

I sure hope this is possible again this year!  My buddy and I are driving down from upstate New York on Friday, so would miss that opportunity.  We will be leaving on Sunday to drive home, but Sunday morning would work for us (if you could make that work)....

johnm

• Ultrahero member
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2015, 07:47:10 PM »

Sunday morning works for me. :)

For others, Sunday afternoon also works for me. ;D

mailman

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2015, 08:59:08 PM »

Sunday morning works for me. :)

For others, Sunday afternoon also works for me. ;D

That is SO COOL!!  ;D We have been really looking forward to that, and I would have hated to miss it...

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2015, 01:50:10 PM »

There was supposed to be an article in the Dayton City Paper this past Tuesday about our event, but it didn't make it into print.  Maybe next week?  Meanwhile, I was looking around and found this article from last year and forgot about the fine opening paragraph Jennifer Lumpkin crafted:

"For such a seemingly simplistic device, the top has a vast history and teeters on the edge of mechanical impossibility at every turn.  A physicist might evoke Euler’s equations to explain a top’s motion.  An archeologist might tell you about tops found at ancient dig sites in Greece.  However you want to go about explaining them, there’s no denying the hypnotic effect of that gyroscopic motion, which may help to elucidate its lasting appeal.  In downtown Miamisburg, the top and all its finely complex glory will be celebrated at the Whirled Festival of Tops."

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2015, 01:52:42 PM »

"For such a seemingly simplistic device, the top has a vast history and teeters on the edge of mechanical impossibility at every turn.  A physicist might evoke Euler’s equations to explain a top’s motion.  An archeologist might tell you about tops found at ancient dig sites in Greece.  However you want to go about explaining them, there’s no denying the hypnotic effect of that gyroscopic motion, which may help to elucidate its lasting appeal.  In downtown Miamisburg, the top and all its finely complex glory will be celebrated at the Whirled Festival of Tops."

You are right, that is a really nice introductory paragraph!

MarkHayward

• ITSA
    • www.markhayward.net
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2015, 02:35:07 PM »

Fantastic!

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2015, 07:13:03 PM »

14 days!