iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Countdown to Miamisburg!!  (Read 22969 times)

mailman

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
Countdown to Miamisburg!!
« on: April 12, 2015, 07:21:05 PM »

Here's the big news for today....

My juggling club buddy, David, and I have been toying with the idea of a roadtrip to Miamisburg this August.  We mentioned it to Don Olney, and we think he'd like to go, too.

Today I broached the subject with our family's CEO ( ;)), expecting a certain amount of resistance.  Much to my surprise, she thought it was a great idea! 

ROADTRIP!! ;D

It looks like I'll be attending!  I'm still a novice thrower, but what better place for me to learn?

I.  Can't.  Wait....

Jack

• Demigod member
Re: Countdown to Miamisburg!!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 07:32:00 PM »

ur a lucky cookie!  :o

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, 07:44:51 PM »

Reminder to all August 22, 2015.  See you there!

mailman

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 07:52:20 PM »

ur a lucky cookie!  :o

Need a ride, Jack?  I'll have room.... :D

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2015, 09:03:02 PM »

Wow!  And Don Olney helped get this started 16 years ago!!!  He came through our area on the way to a special demonstration in St. Louis.  We had dinner and made plans with some of the youth of the church on Ash Wednesday.  I remember I had to push through the meal in order to get ready for a church service.  We did the rest of the planning by phone and had the first fest that year in late August on the downtown square.

Looking forward to seeing everyone here!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

silvertop

• ITSA Honor
  • Don Olney does his top show in Upstate New York
    • Toy Designer and Spinning Top Collector
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 10:05:27 PM »

My visit will depend of course on my Dad's needs, and my making arrangements for coverage while I'm gone. It would be great fun of course!
Don Olney
1237 E. Main St.
Rochester, NY 14609
topman@rochester.rr.com

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2015, 11:04:03 PM »

Didn't Joe Mauk say he was planning to come this year?

I wish I could come, but with worlds (and nats) I don't see how could I swing it.  :'(

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2015, 08:28:02 PM »

Hey mailman...we can celebrate our birthday in Miamisburg when you come.  Maybe a little late, but who will tell on us?

I am excited to announce something I can't say.  That's right, I have news I can't tell.  I know, I know.  I am telling you a whole lot of nothing.....but this is good nothing and I am really excited to not tell you.  Well, you know what I mean.

I can say this.  Negotiations are going on right now with the mayor to make August 22nd Mark Hayward day in Miamisburg.  This will be a very very special festival!

mailman

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2015, 09:27:41 PM »

Hey mailman...we can celebrate our birthday in Miamisburg when you come.  Maybe a little late, but who will tell on us?

I am excited to announce something I can't say.  That's right, I have news I can't tell.  I know, I know.  I am telling you a whole lot of nothing.....but this is good nothing and I am really excited to not tell you.  Well, you know what I mean.

I can say this.  Negotiations are going on right now with the mayor to make August 22nd Mark Hayward day in Miamisburg.  This will be a very very special festival!

Sounds good to me!  I'm still as excited as I can be about attending....

Shootist

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2015, 10:33:21 PM »

We're also looking forward to Miamisburg and making plans to be there. Jorge we would love to see and spin tops with you again in Miamisburg. Can't wait to meet new spinners and see old friends. Jack hope you can make it also, we have watched several of your videos and would like to see you come.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2015, 03:30:06 AM »

We just finished our annual Day Camp at the church.  Every year I have been able to push our top event during "enrichment" time when we have group stations for 15 minutes.  Each child comes through and learns the basics of top spinning and I get a chance to see who might really be interested in throwing.  The groups are usually 15-20 kids so it is very hectic but we usually get several new throwers every session.

One child in particular was very very persistent about getting a top.  I hope to spend some time in the coming weeks throwing with him.

The other spinning news comes from a local business called Nellie's Chicken.  They take great pride in not just offering any old chicken.  This is Bolivian chicken.  I have approached them before about trompo throwing and his experiences growing up in his home country.  He has great stories but it has never gone beyond that.  Last night, though, I saw the owner at their new location and he happened to be there with his children.  They now are the perfect top spinning age and he is ready to talk more about spinning.  He asked me if I could bring some tops to his work!  I am pretty excited about the possibilities.

MarkHayward

• ITSA
    • www.markhayward.net
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2015, 03:02:39 PM »

Woo hoo!!! I'm so excited for the Whirled Top Festival this year!!!

dazzlingdave

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
    • dazzlingdave.com
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2015, 07:02:26 PM »

I totally wish I could go, but I have a gig that weekend! I will always have a gig that weekend, as it is MN country fair time. I work a lot of fairs!

mailman

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2015, 10:57:22 PM »

Mike, check your PMs....

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube