iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Diabolo Ladder Help  (Read 8984 times)

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
Re: Diabolo Ladder Help
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2015, 08:58:26 AM »

Oh my!!!  What a tremendous video.  He makes the incredible look incredibly easy.  Whew!

Thanks for posting this, Jim.  Do you know him?  Does he do anything else but diabolo......or does he spend all his time keeping his diabolo skills going?
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

lincolnrick

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2015, 12:28:51 PM »

Ryo Yabe was an IJA phenom in the early/mid 00's.  He won the following:

2002 - 1st place Juniors (stage competition) - gold medal
2004 - 1st place (individual prop competition) - gold medal(?)
2005 - 1st place Senior (stage competition) - gold medal

I find no further record of him in IJA competition records.

Larry D.

• Hyperhero member
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2015, 01:58:37 PM »

Wow!  Beautiful action! 
I like all the camera angles, thanks for putting the video up here!

Sabaspin

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2015, 04:22:01 PM »

No to hijack the thread (let me know if I should open another), but my son 10 year old, wants a Diabolo, and of course dad also wants to play.
I read a couple of other forums, but as with everything there are so many opinions. Since  already trust this community, any suggestions? From what I read, for my son maybe a Harlequin? For me a Circus or Finesse? As for handsticks-so many options, so expensive :o.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks.

Dick Stohr

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2015, 07:40:42 PM »

Try Spintastics their bearing axle diabolos are top notch.
Practice hard and play safe.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2015, 08:54:03 PM »

Yes, I do like Spintastics.  I have one of their bearing diabolos and it is one I use often.  Sabaspin, I know what you mean about the cost of diabolos.  That being said, I would not go with too small of a one to save money.  The larger ones are easier to use in many ways (except for GIANT ones).  I have a couple Circus diabolos and use those for work with two.  A couple websites I have used include Dube, Renegade and Serious Juggling (an old friend who has stayed at my house).

Hope this helps!!!

Sabaspin

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2015, 07:04:51 AM »

Thanks Dick Stohr and Earl for you help. I'll be checking those websites.

Sabaspin, I know what you mean about the cost of diabolos.  That being said, I would not go with too small of a one to save money.
I will get a larger one, I don't mind the cost of the diabolo so much, its the cost of the handsticks and string that seems high. Is it worth it to get better handsticks (carbon, aluminum, etc..) or just get the cheap wooden sticks? If it will make things more confortable i'll go for it.
Thanks.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2015, 09:07:48 AM »

Personally, I think you can go a long way with inexpensive hand sticks.  Grinds are a lot easier on better equipment but one can do an awful lot with simple hand sticks that come with a diabolo.

Happy spinning and hopefully you will join us with some monobolo play down the road!!!

Sabaspin

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2015, 11:56:00 AM »

Thanks Mike, I'll leave the fancy handsticks for later.
I'll let you know how it goes.

kyo

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2015, 02:36:27 AM »

To answer some questions..

I know of no plans to have a diabolo event at Tokyo Worlds. It was only done at the world contest in Orlando because Stu and I put it together (mostly Stu).. the interest faded the last few years we did it and we both had less and less time to dedicate to it.

Diabolo has always fallen more into the realm of juggling contests than yo-yo, though a few players (Rei comes to mind) do cross over.

For somebody just learning for the first time, there are a lot of options. If you want to test the waters a bit, duncan phoenix as the price is fantastic and  it gives you both the bearing and fixed options (full disclosure: I developed this diabolo for duncan)

If you want something a little nicer, babache finesse or henry's circus (can be a bit heavy). The only full-time bearing diabolos I recommend are the triple bearing sundia's but they're expensive.

The spinabolos have always had a high speed vibration problem.. they may have gotten a bit better over the last few years but they also use to crush their spacers over time as well.

Bearings are fine to learn on, but you'll grow out of them in time.. they make certain things much harder (specifically multiple-diabolo play and tricks like infinite suicide which rely on axle resistance).. and the upside to them is rather small.

The handsticks can change the game entirely, get good ones.. I typically suggest some sort of aluminum stick as the carbon fiber/etc can be a bit 'bendy' for me. The big thing is making sure you get ones where the string comes out of the end of the stick rather than the side.. out the side can snag, or more commonly, cause the stick to wobble/twist/etc when released.

Kyle