iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ITSA Annual General Assembly December 7th - 15th !!!
VOTE for Ambassadors!

Author Topic: BBC Trending visits Tim from Grand Illusions  (Read 2287 times)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
BBC Trending visits Tim from Grand Illusions
« on: January 29, 2015, 12:52:16 PM »

Unfortunately they don't shown any of his hundreds of spinning tops:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrSYERaTq_8

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
Re: BBC Trending visits Tim from Grand Illusions
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 01:24:41 PM »

very good documentary

Tim is "Da Man"

jim
"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 01:45:45 PM »

I have to do 50 children's sermons every year so I am always looking for toys and gadgets.  But what I do pales in comparison to Tim.  I admire his enthusiasm and researching ability.  Actually, the organization of his toys is also quite impressive.  I never would have thought to sort them by the year they were purchased!!!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 07:32:59 AM »

Here is a link to a story about Tim Rowett (sorry - I still did not see any tops)............

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2014-02/03/meet-tim-rowett

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 12:06:21 PM »

Thanks for the link to the Wired article. I learned a few things I did not know about Tim.

I knew about him since before youtube existed and even a little before I started to collect spintops, when Grand Illusions was only a website with mostly optical illusions and no online shop. At that time I got a CD (not DVD) with a collection of video clips of some of his toys. I eagerly waited for the promised Part II, but then streaming videos became possible and there was no need anymore for a CD.

I believe Don met him in person years ago (New York toy fair?).
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 02:51:01 PM by ta0 »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2019, 01:31:51 PM »

A newspaper from Switzerland visited Tim Rowett's collection in his apartment in London. The article is here.
I was amused that the cover photo has Tim using a pair of 3D+glasses that I also own (but did not acquire from Grand Illusions):

The article is nice but it's in German and you have to make a free account to read it. Here is the google translation of the first paragraphs:
In a nondescript apartment in London is the most interesting collection in England: a collection of 20,000 toys that a retired engineer has compiled for decades.
Britons are considered eccentric, and Tim Rowett is a prime example. Already at the entrance to his two-room apartment in southwest London, the visitor feels overwhelmed: hundreds of cases bought at flea markets stack up on racks to the ceiling.

The same in the living room. The bedroom differs from the living room only in that a narrow bed is set up almost like an afterthought between other racks and piles of suitcases. And all these cases are crammed with toys that the 77-year-old former mechanical engineer has been collecting for decades. His collection now includes more than 20,000 unique items. But Rowett's collecting activity has not diminished.

Later in the article:
Twice a month, Rowett and George Auckland, a physicist who has produced several award-winning scientific series for over forty years with the British broadcaster BBC, head to Bicester, near Oxford.

There they meet at Hendrik Ball's cottage - a chemist by trade and also a former producer at the BBC for Science and Didactics - to film video clips for their Grand Illusions website and associated Youtube channel. Hendrik and his partner are tango fans and created a dance studio in the garden of their estate, which is turned into a film studio every two weeks for Grand Illusions.

But before going to work after the one-hour drive from London, Tim, George and Hendrik sit at the kitchen table and share a picnic amid much laughter. In general, one gets the impression that the three pensioners are not so much concerned with the profitability of their company, but rather with a cozy get-together.

I'm proud that I knew about Tim since before youtube existed and when Grand Illusions did not have a shop. I have a CD (not DVD) from 1998 with video clips from his toy collection.

The bed encroached by the suitcases:

A suitcase with many tops:

« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 08:44:33 PM by ta0 »

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2019, 02:45:47 PM »

Amazing.  Even more amazing the more I read about him. 

Interesting quote from the article....."Britons are considered eccentric"