iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ITSA Annual General Assembly December 7th - 15th !!!
VOTE for Ambassadors!

Author Topic: Lefty Boomerang  (Read 1554 times)

Spintowin

• ITSA Jr.
Lefty Boomerang
« on: December 23, 2014, 09:45:05 PM »

I have been seeing a physical therapist to rehab a shoulder injury.  One of the things she had me do was throw a ball with my left hand.  I got the idea of throwing boomerangs with my left hand.  I had actually messed around with this several years ago, but had not tried it in many years.  After a few sessions it is feeling a little more natural and I am able to catch the top about half of the time.  One of the biggest challenges is learning to make the corrections to get the top standing up straight with it spinning the opposite direction. 

The whole process reminds me of when I first learned to spin a top.  It is a bit like teaching someone to spin a top, but you are your own student.  I think I will continue to practice as it is a good mental challenge and I think it might help strengthen my shoulder.  At the very least it is a good excuse to spin a top.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: Lefty Boomerang
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2014, 10:16:17 PM »

You could also learn daveid's left-hand throw of a righ-hand-wrapped top. That way you won't have to relearn the balancing. That is the throw I do on the Crossover trick video. You hold the top so the tip points down when the back of the hand faces out. You throw out, twisting the wrist so palm faces out (and the tip up); you pull up like for a high boomerang.

Actually, you should practice both. I also need to get better with my left hand (standard) boomerang.

Spintowin

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2014, 11:10:54 PM »

That is a little more difficult!  I am not sure I have the motion quite right, but I managed to land a few.  I will keep practicing.  Thanks for the suggestion.

studio42

• Studio42 - Professional Audio Services
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2014, 02:24:03 AM »

The motion and some of how the muscles are used may not be completely compatible with your physical therapy. However, I doubt there's a real down-side. I'd say if you're working with a physical therapist, show them what you're intending to do and see if they feel it might in fact be beneficial. Odds are they'll just think it's cool and probably provide no further help regarding "non-conventional approaches".

I think your idea is good. For me, while I am right hand dominant, I play baseball considerably better fielding left handed, but I am equally comfortable right handed, so if it was me, I'd have no problem going either way. My downside for right-handed is I don't have any decent quality right hand throw gloves! For tops, yoyo and kendama, it's right hand unless I am doing 2-handed styles.

I'd say if you're not feeling worse, do it your way!
Chris Pickett, owner of Studio42 - Live Sound Production
http://www.studio42.com - Official Sound Production for CalStates  & BAC 2012-2017 and BEYOND!
Sound Provider for US National YoYoContest 2016
Cell/Text: 916-601-7089

Spintowin

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2014, 02:59:42 PM »

I will mention it to the physical therapist next time I go in.  The standard boomerang is a similar motion to the throws with a weighted ball that I have been doing.  It is not causing any pain at all, so I think it is fine.

After more practice I can see that left hand string would be a benefit.  The standard right hand string wants to unwind from the top if you give it any slack.  Also for tricks like wire walker it has a twist in the wrong direction that makes it difficult to get it to go around the top for the left spin. I may order some lefty string from neff.   I did manage to do a wire walker successfully.