iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Vote for best spinning top photo of the year!

Author Topic: Tokyo Worlds 2015  (Read 24594 times)

kyo

• Gold Member
Re: Tokyo Worlds 2015
« Reply #60 on: July 21, 2015, 12:34:37 PM »

PS: I was surprised of how many competitors there are for 2A: I counted 55! Shinji Saito is registered. At worlds in Orlando spintops some years had almost as many competitors as 2A! That division should be epic!

The explanation of the Japanese scene I got from Hiro is this - in the US 'single A' is considered the pinnacle division.. the others are side divisions. It's why we always place the finals for it last in our competitions. In Japan there is no such view, all divisions are seen as equal and as such, people compete heavily in all of them.

Japan is much more open to new stuff it seems, so it makes sense that spintops/etc can grow there quickly given the right introduction.

Kyle

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #61 on: July 21, 2015, 09:56:35 PM »

It is good to hear there are a number of people signed up for tops/koma/trompo or whatever for worlds.  I wonder if some of the participants are looking for tips?  Maybe a number of them are watching this site for inside scoops about competing at worlds?  Could we possibly give them any good information that could help them?

Get lots of good practice in during these final days.

Stay relaxed.

Find somebody with a fan so you can stay cool and not be sweating before you hit the stage.

Don't be afraid to use baby powder.

Expect the best but be prepared for the worst.

Don't be scared.  We are with you!!!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #62 on: July 23, 2015, 10:20:46 PM »

Most of the Japanese registered are just doing the traditional Japanese ladder, I bet.
what is  the traditional japanese ladder? is it the same as ours???

They have a certification list with 6 levels, each level with 5 tricks. I was planning to try to "translate" them but I never had the time. They also have a certain classification of tricks into 4 "mystery" ??? types, each one with 10 tricks. I guess I'll know much more when I come back.

I was trying to translate the announcement (link) of the world contest on the Japanese koma association website. Unfortunately, Google doesn't do a very good job translating. But what I think I understand makes me feel sad that we won't have more people coming. They are talking about prelims with 16 players qualifying for the finals! "Come to see people from around the world, meet master spintop players and make friends from overseas!" Oops, I am feeling the pressure . . . The page encourages the players to participate: "Why not try to challenge the koma technique with four major 'mystery' throw because this is a precious opportunity. I wish everyone a good fight."

« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 05:40:16 PM by ta0 »

Mike Durdak

« Reply #63 on: July 31, 2015, 06:31:07 PM »

I'm proud to announce that I will be competing in Spintop division as well as 4A YoYo in Japan!

lincolnrick

• ITSA Bronze Sponsor
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #64 on: July 31, 2015, 06:36:13 PM »

Good luck Mike, Ta0 and all the contestants.

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #65 on: July 31, 2015, 07:48:43 PM »

I'm proud to announce that I will be competing in Spintop division as well as 4A YoYo in Japan!

« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 08:20:11 PM by ta0 »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #66 on: July 31, 2015, 08:26:48 PM »

Woohoo!  That is fabulous! We really needed another player competing. Also, it is always great when we get another spintop player stepping up into the freestyles.  8)
From your posts I gather that you have been playing spintops a little over an year, haven't you? But as a 4A player you have a great base so you will do well.
I am bringing Figaro with me to Tokyo, so you will be inducted to the Figaro gallery.  :)

See you in Tokyo!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #67 on: July 31, 2015, 10:17:20 PM »

Mike: I just watched a video of you doing 4A and the tricks blew my mind! If you stay with tops you could be the next Tyler Young!

It seems you are from Cleveland. Do you ever throw with Steve Brown? Anybody else?

Mike Durdak

« Reply #68 on: July 31, 2015, 11:59:52 PM »

I learned to throw tops about a year after I started yoyoing (wow, I've yoyoed for five years, making my Spintop career 4 years old!), but never learned too much until I figured out regens 1.5-2 years ago. I've done Spintop on and off since then. I was planning on filming for all of my patches in one go this summer, but have been too lazy to do so thus far  :P . I can't wait to meet you guys in Tokyo, Miamisburg, or LA this year!

Mike Durdak

« Reply #69 on: August 01, 2015, 12:06:33 AM »

Back when the Cleveland YoYo Club was still a thing, I would occasionally talk to Steve about tops. When I was just starting out, one year at the Ohio State YoYo contest, Takeshi Kamisato helped me with binds for Mach 5s and basic top maintainence. I've also met Chris Neff and Mike Hout at past Worlds. Thanks for your kind words. I hope to do well in both divisions at worlds.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 12:38:06 AM by Mike Durdak »

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #70 on: August 01, 2015, 05:27:43 AM »

Yea!!!  I met Mike Durdak.  Who the heck are you?

Sorry, just having some fun.  But to tell the truth, I have you narrowed down to a couple of guys.  There are just so many people coming and going at Worlds.  Wishing you the best in Tokyo.  I am so glad to hear you are competing.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #71 on: August 03, 2015, 02:29:15 PM »

I saw some Mike Durdak videos.  Good work!  I am excited to see you with spin tops.

I also saw the website for the world yoyo championships in Tokyo.  Looks like plans are already there for one minute prelims in spin tops.  That sounds like there will be a lot of competitors!!!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #72 on: August 04, 2015, 11:17:19 AM »

I saw some Mike Durdak videos.  Good work!  I am excited to see you with spin tops.

I also saw the website for the world yoyo championships in Tokyo.  Looks like plans are already there for one minute prelims in spin tops.  That sounds like there will be a lot of competitors!!!
As of 7/30 Mike was registered only on 4A, so I guess he registered for tops the 31st.
The prelims were scheduled before registration started. I doubt there will be a need for them.

How many top related people do you recognize in this screen capture?:

Nine days left for the start of the festivities!  :)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 11:19:25 AM by ta0 »

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #73 on: August 04, 2015, 11:56:54 AM »

all of theeeeeeeemmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!!
@-@
except for that blue fellow second to left............don't think i know him  :o
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 12:45:58 PM by ta0 »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #74 on: August 04, 2015, 02:29:05 PM »

all of theeeeeeeemmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!!
@-@
except for that blue fellow second to left............don't think i know him  :o
:)

I see five without straining my eyes. Anybody else?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »   Go Up