iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: steve brown / clyw  (Read 2285 times)

Jack

• Demigod member
steve brown / clyw
« on: November 30, 2014, 05:51:18 PM »

well i hadnt heard about this till a minute ago when i see him all up on there instagram  :o if only he could manage to plant the idea of a clyw spintop securely in there pretty little heads  :P

http://www.clyw.ca/blogs/cariboublog/15102697-national-yoyo-master-steve-brown-joins-clyw

« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 05:56:38 PM by Jack »

studio42

• Studio42 - Professional Audio Services
Re: steve brown / clyw
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 12:44:57 PM »

I think Steve Brown's move to CLYW has and will continue to be a good thing, injecting a lot of fresh and new energy into their marketing. Of course, I don't think this brand really needs marketing, it seems to do well with all the hype it generates for itself. Great product, I've got virtually all their models.

Right now, I think CLYW is still hurting from costs associated with the plastic Yeti yoyo, which is another great product. This resulted in a short term "no more vendor channel" for a bit and selling direct to get all the profits back into the company. Whatever happened, it worked, by dropping 3 or 4 new models direct only via their website for a while. It worked so well, they went back to their regular resale channels.

They are also goofing around with kendamas. While I also have kendamas, I haven't bought any of the CLYW-branded ones. With the owner of CLYW going back to having a day job again and leaving one of his trusted players in charge of various elements of the business, the company seems in great hands and has been releasing desired products in a timely manner. I think there's just not enough draw for spintops for CLYW to want to go in that direction.

I think One Drop would be the better choice. As they are making yoyos for many top brands, including themselves, I think they would be a more natural choice as a manufacturer to go to. The problem is that they don't have a Steve Brown-type, who is quite skilled in spintops, or at least nobody that I am aware of. Also, I don't think One Drop has machined a delrin yoyo yet, so I'm not sure how receptive they are to that material. I think One Drop wouldn't exactly jump to the chance to machine aluminum spin tops, but if there's a market or someone to fund a project, they might be willing to. I think with the right knowledge, they may be able to improve on some designs.
Chris Pickett, owner of Studio42 - Live Sound Production
http://www.studio42.com - Official Sound Production for CalStates  & BAC 2012-2017 and BEYOND!
Sound Provider for US National YoYoContest 2016
Cell/Text: 916-601-7089

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 09:37:51 PM »

I think Steve Brown's move to CLYW has and will continue to be a good thing, injecting a lot of fresh and new energy into their marketing. Of course, I don't think this brand really needs marketing, it seems to do well with all the hype it generates for itself. Great product, I've got virtually all their models.

Right now, I think CLYW is still hurting from costs associated with the plastic Yeti yoyo, which is another great product. This resulted in a short term "no more vendor channel" for a bit and selling direct to get all the profits back into the company. Whatever happened, it worked, by dropping 3 or 4 new models direct only via their website for a while. It worked so well, they went back to their regular resale channels.

They are also goofing around with kendamas. While I also have kendamas, I haven't bought any of the CLYW-branded ones. With the owner of CLYW going back to having a day job again and leaving one of his trusted players in charge of various elements of the business, the company seems in great hands and has been releasing desired products in a timely manner. I think there's just not enough draw for spintops for CLYW to want to go in that direction.

I think One Drop would be the better choice. As they are making yoyos for many top brands, including themselves, I think they would be a more natural choice as a manufacturer to go to. The problem is that they don't have a Steve Brown-type, who is quite skilled in spintops, or at least nobody that I am aware of. Also, I don't think One Drop has machined a delrin yoyo yet, so I'm not sure how receptive they are to that material. I think One Drop wouldn't exactly jump to the chance to machine aluminum spin tops, but if there's a market or someone to fund a project, they might be willing to. I think with the right knowledge, they may be able to improve on some designs.

thanks studio42 i was actually hoping ud respond to this. i read on the yye listing back when they had the clyw kendamas that the paint sometimes had issues with like blobing on the bottom of the tama and also something about the preciseness in general of the thing, can anyone corroborate that?  oh god what the eyes in that mans head have seen, and the hands on that mans arms what that theyve done   @-@

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 11:22:23 AM »

Actually, at one time CYLW had a team member who also competed in tops: Boyd Seth. He was actually required to freestyle in tops at worlds because of their sponsorship. If I recall correctly, Boyd told me once that they were considering coming out with a spintop with his name.

studio42

• Studio42 - Professional Audio Services
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 01:53:20 PM »

Actually, at one time CYLW had a team member who also competed in tops: Boyd Seth. He was actually required to freestyle in tops at worlds because of their sponsorship. If I recall correctly, Boyd told me once that they were considering coming out with a spintop with his name.

If CLYW would come out with a spintop, I'd probably buy 2 of them.

I just don't see CLYW moving towards spintops right now. The company is in a good groove with yoyos. The kendama is kinda a "because we can" thing. I'm fairly sure it's just a re-brand of some other boutique kendama brand anyways. Really, the market for yoyos is relatively small in the big scope of things, and we all know how small spintop is. I don't think CLYW wants to take a chance right now. The market for spin tops is too niche.

Frankly. I'm surprised Chico YoYo Company released 2 spin top models. After playing them, they are both quite nice and I recently purchased a 2.0 top that is currently in transit to me. Even YYJ developed a new spin top that I'd really like to get my hands on, but it's a friend of mine who was pictured playing it in the article on YoYoSkills in 2013.

Too risky for now. I'm sure most of us here would want to spring for one if CLYW released it. If it's anything like their yoyos, it will sell for between $135 and $165 and come in a brown box with stamped decorations. The question would be "aluminum or delrin" and if aluminum, what colorways? Or would they go with an injection molded polycarbonate or use the same stuff they used for the Yeti? That might be interesting!

The link to the article on YoyoSkills:
http://www.yoyoskills.com/?p=14317
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 03:21:32 PM by studio42 »