iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: a record broken......he says  (Read 2791 times)

Jack

• Demigod member
a record broken......he says
« on: November 26, 2014, 10:52:39 PM »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: a record broken......he says
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 10:40:17 AM »

Not even close. The first "record" on that thread is just a little over one minute with a whip top. The Guinness record with a whip top is 7 hours 14 minutes 1 second, established on November 2006 by Guinness protege Ashrita Furman. But I am sure Mike would brake it if there was a Guinness certification official close by.

The current "record" on that thread, of almost 15 minutes with a little finger top is interesting. With my tungsten Quark top I have never gone above 12 minutes (but the record is supposedly close to 20).

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2014, 11:27:06 AM »

It has always seemed to me that one of the people on this board should hold this record for the longest spinner.  I know Ashrita.  I met him once and hung out with him during the taping of a TV show.  He is a nice guy.  He is a very good man.  Yet, I don't think he is really into tops that much.  One of us should hold this record for the longest spinner.  I think one of us should also hold the record for the most tops spin at one time (22).
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

Rayos

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 09:33:53 AM »

https://recordsetter.com/world-record/spinning-non-mechanical-spinning-top/41913
Crap, it looks like I got competition, gonna have to work on my finger strength. I want to get in the book.
This guy's top looks like it's "hanging" giving it a bit of a unfair advantage with it's center of gravity, I have nothing like that at the moment.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 09:38:32 AM by Rayos »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2015, 01:07:22 PM »

That is a really interesting record attempt!  Building up the speed (and energy) of the top using multiple finger twists is a great idea! I think his time of  41 minutes, 25 seconds is a valid finger top record.

It is a true top as the spinning point is below the center of mass. In fact, the lowest part of the rim does not appear to be below the tip (at most it is at the same level), so it I would say it is a fair top. Allowing a raised spinning base so the rim can wobble below is not something I have a problem with but it could be a matter to discuss.

The proper name for that record is Finger Top Duration Time. One day we need to discuss and write down rules for all the different records so ITSA can certify them. Then we can pass them along to Guinness, Recordsetter, etc., in case they want to use the same rules. Of course, they may disregard them, but if we do a good job defining the records, as we are the experts, they might adopt them.

Rayos: I look forward to you beating this record in the future!

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2015, 11:48:40 PM »

Building up the speed (and energy) of the top using multiple finger twists is a great idea!
This reminds me of some Japanese videos of the Koma that have a long stem.  They are started with multiple spins between the palms of the spinner's hands
Allowing a raised spinning base so the rim can wobble below is not something I have a problem with but it could be a matter to discuss.
Personally I think it is lame that he uses a stand or base for several reasons.
* A base the allows the CG to be artificially low. Yes the CG is above the point, but just barely.
* His base has a concave surface and also has containment walls.  I would rather see a record made on a flat surface.  Which raises the question,"How Flat is Flat?" A small amount of dish should be allowed, I think. Otherwise the top would wander off any surface that is not super level.
On the other hand the long duration Gasing are spun on a stand (but only after a throw start and catch)

The proper name for that record is Finger Top Duration Time. One day we need to discuss and write down rules for all the different records so ITSA can certify them. Then we can pass them along to Guinness, Recordsetter, etc., in case they want to use the same rules. Of course, they may disregard them, but if we do a good job defining the records, as we are the experts, they might adopt them.
So what categories exist? What categories should there be?

Finger Top Duration
Most finger tops spinning at one time by one person
Whip Top Duration
Peg Top Duration (fixed point)
Corkscrew wraps
number of Crazy 8's (landed in hand for 4 secs)
..... & more

Rayos: I look forward to you beating this record in the future!
I agree!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 11:51:44 PM by Kirk »