iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Ow. I mean, is this normal?  (Read 2600 times)

studio42

• Studio42 - Professional Audio Services
Ow. I mean, is this normal?
« on: November 15, 2014, 01:49:43 PM »

I've taken a 1 week break from skill toys due to a vacation. Well, I'm back home and it's time to address spin-top related questions.

OK, first, I've gotten a few blisters from winding spin tops. Is this normal? I'd find a different way to wind, and get another blister. This has happened 3 times! I even got a blister on a blister! I am still winding and throwing, so a little pain won't bother me. Or a lot.

Second, this is more for my metal-tipped tops, has anyone ever had the tip break the skin of your palm? I've had this happen a couple of times. Bleeding has been minimal and fortunately they heal fast. It doesn't really hurt any worse than a regular boomerang thrown and caught.

Third, and I'm assuming this isn't a big deal: red dots on my palm, apparently from where the top lands. They go away in a day or so. No pain.

Kids keep asking me if it hurts when the top lands in my hand. I say "not really". It's like being tapped with a pen tip in your palm, and it's not really pain, just the sensation of an impact.

Anyhow, I got 2 new Bearing Kings and am going to get a couple more tomorrow. I need to clean out the bearings and get them set up properly. Gotta go cut new strings for them as well. I may be going to my regular yoyo meet group tomorrow. Need to show off spin tops, just to be different!
Chris Pickett, owner of Studio42 - Live Sound Production
http://www.studio42.com - Official Sound Production for CalStates  & BAC 2012-2017 and BEYOND!
Sound Provider for US National YoYoContest 2016
Cell/Text: 916-601-7089

Jack

• Demigod member
Re: Ow. I mean, is this normal?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 05:44:35 PM »

I've taken a 1 week break from skill toys due to a vacation. Well, I'm back home and it's time to address spin-top related questions.

OK, first, I've gotten a few blisters from winding spin tops. Is this normal? I'd find a different way to wind, and get another blister. This has happened 3 times! I even got a blister on a blister! I am still winding and throwing, so a little pain won't bother me. Or a lot.

Second, this is more for my metal-tipped tops, has anyone ever had the tip break the skin of your palm? I've had this happen a couple of times. Bleeding has been minimal and fortunately they heal fast. It doesn't really hurt any worse than a regular boomerang thrown and caught.

Third, and I'm assuming this isn't a big deal: red dots on my palm, apparently from where the top lands. They go away in a day or so. No pain.

Kids keep asking me if it hurts when the top lands in my hand. I say "not really". It's like being tapped with a pen tip in your palm, and it's not really pain, just the sensation of an impact.

Anyhow, I got 2 new Bearing Kings and am going to get a couple more tomorrow. I need to clean out the bearings and get them set up properly. Gotta go cut new strings for them as well. I may be going to my regular yoyo meet group tomorrow. Need to show off spin tops, just to be different!

yup ull get string burn for awhile, ive got a hard callas along the side of my right index finger from winding tops lol  ;D. in fact ive screwed up the top of my left index with string burn at the moment from doing alot of barrel rolls. what i use when my fingers damaged and i neeeeed to play is wrap electrical tape around the sore finger just make sure its not too tight though lol.

about the metal tip question: you bet its called "stigmata"  ;D. take a diamond file to the point being careful not to over do it, you just want to take the burr off.

your a lucky cookie, 2 bk in the mail is always a treat  ;) show those yoyo players the joys of tops!   

studio42

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 06:07:24 PM »

yup ull get string burn for awhile, ive got a hard callas along the side of my right index finger from winding tops lol  ;D. in fact ive screwed up the top of my left index with string burn at the moment from doing alot of barrel rolls. what i use when my fingers damaged and i neeeeed to play is wrap electrical tape around the sore finger just make sure its not too tight though lol.

about the metal tip question: you bet its called "stigmata"  ;D. take a diamond file to the point being careful not to over do it, you just want to take the burr off.

your a lucky cookie, 2 bk in the mail is always a treat  ;) show those yoyo players the joys of tops!

OK. I'm fine with more string burn kind of injuries. My right middle finger second segment is torn to shreds from cheaper yoyo string when yoyo'ing fast and hard(and long). I guess you can never have too much callus! I'll take your advice on the tips after I find a suitable file. Good to know all my "injuries" are normal.

Regarding the BKs: I already had 2, and while at Disneyland(where I was on vacation), the Duncan kiosk had some in stock. I'm going to where the yoyo meet is tomorrow and get a few more since that location carries them. I can't do much yet but even just a boomerang and balance will get them interested!

When my kids go back to school in a couple of weeks, I'm definitely going to be doing more spin tops, mostly since the school hasn't really seen that before.

I better go service my Spintastics and clean the bearings on the new Bearing Kings. The odds are I'll mostly be using my Guilia though.

Kirk

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 07:52:49 PM »

I used to get string blisters. Superglue and/or blue painter's tape helped.  Rachel NEVER gets string burns and she winds about as tightly as I do.  So I have been holding the string farther from the top.  Wind in then slide, wind in then slide.  I have not had blisters in a long time.
Some metal tips have a bit of a burr that can cut.  I rub them on the sidewalk. Sure, I could go home and get a file or sandpaper but the sidewalk is near by.

cecil

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 08:57:28 PM »

What scares me is doing the cork screw with a big top and it fly's off and hits you in the face. Big top is four inch diameter min-um.

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2017, 01:10:33 AM »

What scares me is doing the cork screw with a big top and it fly's off and hits you in the face. Big top is four inch diameter min-um.

challenge accepted @-@

Diz

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2017, 02:38:08 AM »

Was there a Duncan kiosk in Disneyland?
My first boomerang with a new metal tipped top had me bouncing it off my palm as if it was red hot because I could feel the metal going into the skin lol. It didn't take much time to remove the burr with a stone.

studio42

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2017, 05:03:49 AM »

Was there a Duncan kiosk in Disneyland?
http://www.ta0.com/forum/index.php#c2

Duncan HAD a kiosk in the Downtown Disney District, near the Lego Store and the pin trading shack. They closed that down a couple of years ago. Underperforming from what I hear. Then again when you put it at the end of the Downtown Disney District, you don't get much attention. I bought an orange Echo 2, a red and green Bearing King and a red Phoenix diabolo there.

If you need your yoyo fix on property, smuggle your own in or get a ProYo, Butterfly or Imperial at the magic shop.

Kirk

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2017, 07:34:21 PM »

My first boomerang with a new metal tipped top had me bouncing it off my palm as if it was red hot because I could feel the metal going into the skin lol. It didn't take much time to remove the burr with a stone.
A key item in this important topic is to bend your knees with the landing of the top. It sounds silly but it really works. Oh, and check for burrs before your throw.
======================
challenge accepted @-@
I am sure that a top the size of a Trompo Grande will give you a bloody lip. :)