iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

The name of the international association should be called:

International Top Spinners Association (ITSA)
- 15 (78.9%)
TOPS: International Top Spinners Association
- 4 (21.1%)
Try again
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Author Topic: POLL ADDED: Name the spintop association!  (Read 27412 times)

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
Re: POLL ADDED: Name the spintop association!
« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2014, 01:39:24 PM »

hi all

after so much time spent on the subject, with so little input,
 it seems that this debate leads to nothing
let's move to the next point ;: the status, our  intentions...if any//

(to me the logo contest will be a loss of time, as well....)

as a last resort, the Avant Garde will lead the project,with the risk of seeing no-one in the rear-view mirror

in any case , we need this structure : an international association to make it easier for contacts , events, local initiatives... etc
i 'm 100% convinced of it
here in france ,we have invited a player from Taiwan at the 5th toupie festival in February 2015 (at our own cost, ludo and I)
he can do the "floating top" half a yard, the target routine,and more...
we plan to contact the embassy to organize a venue in Paris,
like we did for Salvador
here again : an international "credibility" would be a mega asset

do you see the point or not ?
are you stuck in your backyard with tops ?
if tops are for you just a side activity, i'll inject you the virus!:!

let's get together

jim

"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

Shootist

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2014, 02:53:42 PM »

SPin top INternatonal = SPIN.    Just another name to consider

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2014, 02:58:51 PM »

Come on people now
Smile on your brother
Everybody get together
Try and love one another right now

Right now

Right now
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2014, 03:14:29 PM »

Come on people now
Smile on your brother
Everybody get together
Try and love one another right now

Right now

Right now

they just dont make music like they used to do they  :(

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2014, 06:20:04 PM »

here in france ,we have invited a player from Taiwan at the 5th toupie festival in February 2015 (at our own cost, ludo and I)
he can do the "floating top" half a yard, the target routine,and more...
we plan to contact the embassy to organize a venue in Paris,
like we did for Salvador
here again : an international "credibility" would be a mega asset

That is incredible what Ludo and you are doing. I take my hat off.
We'll do as much as we can to at least give you the "international credibility" you deserve; it is the least we can do.

I think people are getting tired of voting. So we will put heads together with Jim and based on all the feedback we got propose a final name.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Name the spintop association
« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2014, 11:23:40 AM »

After considering all the feedback from those who had an opinion on the subject, Jim and I have agreed on this name:

International TOP Spinners Association  (TOPS)

It keeps the old name of Byron's association, which is also a reference to the International Jugglers Association (where the first "spintop players of the modern era" gathered). But it replaces the acronym ITSA for the more descriptive, distinctive and strong TOPS.

As they used to say in weddings, if you feel strongly against it, speak now or forever hold your peace  ;)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 11:26:27 AM by ta0 »

Jack

• Demigod member
Re: Name the spintop association
« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2014, 06:12:23 PM »

After considering all the feedback from those who had an opinion on the subject, Jim and I have agreed on this name:

International TOP Spinners Association  (TOPS)

It keeps the old name of Byron's association, which is also a reference to the International Jugglers Association (where the first "spintop players of the modern era" gathered). But it replaces the acronym ITSA for the more descriptive, distinctive and strong TOPS.

As they used to say in weddings, if you feel strongly against it, speak now or forever hold your peace  ;)

i think the abbreviation is a bit odd but gotta admit its straight to the point  ;D i am in favor of your decision ta0/jim and will carry this associations name emblazoned on a shirt or coat or something someday with pride!

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2014, 11:01:28 PM »

Yeah, that's a little weird.  ITSA won the first poll didn't it?

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #53 on: November 20, 2014, 12:26:22 AM »

Yeah, that's a little weird.  ITSA won the first poll didn't it?
The 3 options with most votes on the first poll were:
International Top Spinners Association (ITSA) - 5 (25%)
SPIN (Spintop Players InterNational) - 5 (25%)
TOPS  (Tops Of the Planet Society)  - 4 (20%)
So, it kind of unites two of them.

If  you look on Byron's page (http://itsa.byron.com), he abbreviates "International Top Spinners Association" as "ITSA Spin Top", I guess because he felt that ITSA was not enough.

I don't think it is weird at all, specially considering that we are top spinners what many would say is weird in itself, not accountants or stamp collectors :P Actually, those kind of acronyms are used. I envision the name written on the logo using different lettering for the TOP and the S of spinner.

PS: I just did a search and found several online acronym builders. I entered the words international + top + spinner + association on one of them (http://acronymcreator.net/) and among the options it gave me was TAO (Top AssOciation)!  :o  ;D  ;D  ;D

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #54 on: November 20, 2014, 04:34:31 AM »

"ITS A Spin Top" i lold  ;D

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #55 on: November 21, 2014, 10:44:51 PM »

I don't think it is weird at all, specially considering that we are top spinners what many would say is weird in itself, not accountants or stamp collectors :P Actually, those kind of acronyms are used. I envision the name written on the logo using different lettering for the TOP and the S of spinner.

Yes, we are all eccentric here.  I guess I chose "weird" as a more passive word to my real opinion of it, I think it is awkward and a bit silly.  I don't mind so much the idea of calling it "TOPS, the international spin top association"  It is the "International TOP Spinning association" that I think is kind of forced. 

It also seemed like we were on a nice democratic path of polls and votes and then, BAM you two decided on the name.  I realize there has been little participation up to this point, but this is all so overwhelming it is difficult to dive in with so many unknowns.  You two are doing all the work so far so perhaps you really should call it what you want, I just hope there is some level of transparency as this organization gets of the ground.

I don't know, I just forsee many conversations with my peers asking, "Why don't they just call it the ITSA???"  Maybe I am a fuddy duddy.  Anyone else that has reservations or support for this name please post.

MarkHayward

• ITSA
    • www.markhayward.net
« Reply #56 on: November 21, 2014, 11:44:48 PM »

Hey all, I'm late to the party. Sorry.

My feeling on acronyms is that I like them better when they are not an existing word. I think that can be confusing. In a conversation it flows much more easily if the thing you say is clearly an acronym.

"He's a certified TOPS demonstrator" requires more explanation than "He's a certified ITSA demonstrator." You have to explain what a top is, and then say the full name of the organization and then explain that the name of the organization is the same as the prop; vs saying the full name of the organization, and then explaining what a top is.

I personally like ITSA or ITOPSA or something that is not already a word.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #57 on: November 22, 2014, 12:36:06 AM »

Thanks guys for expressing your opinions. Now is the time to do it when nothing is set in stone. We had been trying to get people to give feedback and voice their opinion with little success.

Once upon a time I was a member of the International Society for Optics and Photonics. It has thousands and thousands of members, publishes thousands of articles and organizes tens of conferences a year. What was the acronym? Not ISOP or ISFOAP but SPIE!!! The reasons for SPIE: International Society for Optics and Photonics, are historical. I just want to say that we don't have to be enslaved by the initials.

I guess, Mark, that we have different tastes on this. I think that a name that is evocative and descriptive is much better than a soup of letters. That is why I suggested names that abbreviated to SPIN (Spintop Players InterNational) or TOPS (Tops Of the Planet Society).

Full disclosure: I am already somewhat vested on the name TOPS, per the attached picture  ;)

MarkHayward

• ITSA
    • www.markhayward.net
« Reply #58 on: November 22, 2014, 12:43:35 AM »

You're right Jorge, it really comes down to different tastes. I will not throw a fit if the name ends up being a real word.

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #59 on: November 22, 2014, 08:49:29 AM »

I am curious how many share your taste, ta0.  It's corny.  It's like a joke a 6 year old would tell.

I completely agree with Mark.  I don't want to have to tell a story every time I am trying to promote the ITSA. I am trying to imagine selling the idea to Steve Brown, or any of my yo-yo peers, oh man no way.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »   Go Up