iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ITSA General Assembly: December 5th - 12th

Author Topic: basic structure for the future association  (Read 3266 times)

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
basic structure for the future association
« on: November 05, 2014, 12:00:50 PM »

hello everybody
some precisions on this project
here is what i had in mind :
a basic structure , light enough  which is open to debate :D :D
the first statement, explaining the overall goal of a non-profit association, which is generally short ,remains to be written..

International spintop association

Bureau 3 seats

president
treasurer
secretary

elected for 2 years
each country gets 2 votes

board of directors 5 seats

each member represents one activity
includes proposing consulting,organizing responding  etc...
no votes , the posts are based on volunteership

1competition events media
2teaching training workshop grading
3cultural historical and collecting
4science physics making and modding
5communication and exchanges : the spintop as a tool to connect people and peoples

2 members of honour (nominated on a general agreement)
who would consult and collaborate to the current affairs

the bureau and the board of directors take the important decisions
in case of a draw on a vote , the members of honour will be consulted

spiderweb
each player who wants to take a responsibility in the association becomes a correspondent in his/her own country or place
the spiderweb aims at helping the board of directors in achieving their projects

goals

to help develop spintop play all over the world
 to connect the different toy museums and institutions
 to raise funds from private or public sources
to organize the world spintop contest
to identify the different games associated with spintops
to put forward the cultural heritage of each country

ressources

annual fees/subscription paid by each country
fund raising from private resources:workshops,raffles,shows
fund raising from external resources : manufacturers,spintop companies,distributors ,donators ...
fund raising from institutions : culture education environment

some remarks
the status could be officially registered in the USA quite easily from what Jorge told me
the whole thing should be translated into Spanish ;) ;) translators ?
i already have devised who could/might be occupy the various posts in charge....if they agree.....
my involvement in this project is total

let's get together and be all right !!

jim

"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

Sabaspin

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
Re: basic structure for the future association
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 01:42:57 PM »

I can translate all documents into Spanish (I know Ta0 can also do it, but I'm sure he will have many other responsabilities).

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 10:49:21 PM »

Thanks Sabaspin for being the first to volunteer real work!

That is a great start, Jim.
I think you listed most goals that association would pursue.
Before getting into the details of the structure, I want to discuss the overall strategy.

There was before an attempt at establishing something like this, spearheaded by Walter and Byron Watts: the International Top Spinners Association.
Here is the old website: http://itsa.byron.com/ It even had a nice logo:

(I wonder if somebody still has extra T-shirts with the logo; I would be interested in getting one).
It was organized around 2000 and was active for a short time.  I don't think it was ever registered anywhere. Perhaps Walter can tell us more about it.

I see two different entities that will be needed eventually at the international level: an association of spintop enthusiasts (players, collectors, etc.) that helps individuals come together so share their passion, and an international federation formed by national associations with the goal of organizing and certifying the world contest. But the federation is a long term goal (we need the national associations first), so for the time being the international association would also play that roll.

We could take the name of Watts' association. I am personally biased for SPIN: Spintop Players InterNational. However, neither name explicitly includes collectors, craftsmen/artists, ethnographers and other possible members.

I will start another thread with the details of registering in Texas/US such an entity.

Sabaspin

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 08:44:19 PM »

I'm prety new to the spintop world and don't know much about the state of affairs in the top community especially in a worldwide scheme of things, so this is just my humble two cents. What I say is also tied to "the name the spin top association thread".

I think maybe with the help of the original visionaries, the conversation should focus on expanding and developing the concepts and goals proposed  by Jim here for the organization, in a more concrete maner and with examples which can not only help forum members/spintop enthusiasts get a clearerer picture of the vision,but also show them ways they could see themseves getting involved in the different aspects of the proposal. Orgnizations take time to develop and people need to understand their purpose and how it can relate to them in order to get involved. As to the name, once the ideas, purpose and direction begin to flow, the name will naturally follow.

As Jack said:

.... is a great idea to keep this craft alive and to bring players together, but what would individuals like myself be able to do to further this endeavor? how does one go about this sort of thing?

hello everybody
some precisions on this project
here is what i had in mind :
a basic structure , light enough  which is open to debate :D :D
the first statement, explaining the overall goal of a non-profit association, which is generally short ,remains to be written..

International spintop association

Bureau 3 seats

president
treasurer
secretary

elected for 2 years
each country gets 2 votes

board of directors 5 seats

each member represents one activity
includes proposing consulting,organizing responding  etc...
no votes , the posts are based on volunteership

1competition events media
2teaching training workshop grading
3cultural historical and collecting
4science physics making and modding
5communication and exchanges : the spintop as a tool to connect people and peoples

2 members of honour (nominated on a general agreement)
who would consult and collaborate to the current affairs

the bureau and the board of directors take the important decisions
in case of a draw on a vote , the members of honour will be consulted

spiderweb
each player who wants to take a responsibility in the association becomes a correspondent in his/her own country or place
the spiderweb aims at helping the board of directors in achieving their projects

goals

to help develop spintop play all over the world
 to connect the different toy museums and institutions
 to raise funds from private or public sources
to organize the world spintop contest
to identify the different games associated with spintops
to put forward the cultural heritage of each country

ressources

annual fees/subscription paid by each country
fund raising from private resources:workshops,raffles,shows
fund raising from external resources : manufacturers,spintop companies,distributors ,donators ...
fund raising from institutions : culture education environment

some remarks
the status could be officially registered in the USA quite easily from what Jorge told me
the whole thing should be translated into Spanish ;) ;) translators ?
i already have devised who could/might be occupy the various posts in charge....if they agree.....
my involvement in this project is total

let's get together and be all right !!

jim

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 11:08:01 AM »

I'm prety new to the spintop world and don't know much about the state of affairs in the top community especially in a worldwide scheme of things, so this is just my humble two cents. What I say is also tied to "the name the spin top association thread".

I think maybe with the help of the original visionaries, the conversation should focus on expanding and developing the concepts and goals proposed  by Jim here for the organization, in a more concrete maner and with examples which can not only help forum members/spintop enthusiasts get a clearerer picture of the vision,but also show them ways they could see themseves getting involved in the different aspects of the proposal. Orgnizations take time to develop and people need to understand their purpose and how it can relate to them in order to get involved. As to the name, once the ideas, purpose and direction begin to flow, the name will naturally follow.

Thank you for your contribution, Sabaspin. I makes lots of sense. But the true is that the goals for the association are very broad and could be summarized as the worldwide promotion of spinning tops. This includes organizing our competitions but also all cultural aspects related to spinning tops in all their variations around the world. So we need a very encompassing name.

Byron Watts

• Byron Watts
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 12:30:46 AM »

International Top Spinners Association was originally my project...mostly alone.  I did not register as an entity.  I attempted to create the group of people to operate as principles, but at the time it didn't work out quite the way I envisioned.  I tried to create too much of the content by myself and it was truly very short lived because I suddenly discovered how much work it is to create all of the content alone.

There was a small batch of shirts created.  I might have one, but my life has been so complicated in the last 10 years or so that most of the items I once had in storage have evaporated....

Gregory Cohen created the 3D logo if I recall accurately.

Thanks Sabaspin for being the first to volunteer real work!

That is a great start, Jim.
I think you listed most goals that association would pursue.
Before getting into the details of the structure, I want to discuss the overall strategy.

There was before an attempt at establishing something like this, spearheaded by Walter and Byron Watts: the International Top Spinners Association.
Here is the old website: http://itsa.byron.com/ It even had a nice logo:

(I wonder if somebody still has extra T-shirts with the logo; I would be interested in getting one).
It was organized around 2000 and was active for a short time.  I don't think it was ever registered anywhere. Perhaps Walter can tell us more about it.

I see two different entities that will be needed eventually at the international level: an association of spintop enthusiasts (players, collectors, etc.) that helps individuals come together so share their passion, and an international federation formed by national associations with the goal of organizing and certifying the world contest. But the federation is a long term goal (we need the national associations first), so for the time being the international association would also play that roll.

We could take the name of Watts' association. I am personally biased for SPIN: Spintop Players InterNational. However, neither name explicitly includes collectors, craftsmen/artists, ethnographers and other possible members.

I will start another thread with the details of registering in Texas/US such an entity.
Spinning Tops

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA Jr.
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 07:21:54 PM »

Yes, I was wearing one of those shirts once at worlds and Greg came up to me and told me he made the logo.  He seemed quite proud of it and I agree, it is something to be proud of it.  It looks great!

The funny thing about the ITSA website from Byron is that it created quite a presence on the internet.  I saw it constantly and read it numerous times.  Many others told me about it and it was obvious they read it, too.  You may not have felt like you made much headway with that project but it certainly touched many people's lives.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2014, 12:44:06 PM »

next step
I foresee something minimal
a president / chairman who will be the legal person responsible for the asso
a treasurer: responsible of a bank account and of the accounting
a secretary who would deal with the red tape work

then registering the asso once we have 3 names

some time later we could move forward

the board of members
it would be reduced to the minimal needed
 i mean "referents" in each field
history culture and collecting
players and education
science
international

who's in ?

jim(........)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2014, 02:43:46 PM »

As you know, Jim, I was ready to propose a full blown structure, with three boards and several types of memberships . . . but you are right. We should keep it simple to start and just register the association. We can add the meat later

What Texas asks to incorporate as a nonprofit is (pdf):

1- Name (we got it  :D )
2 - Statement of purpose (got it)
3 - Three directors (not necessary residents of Texas)
4 - A registered agent with address in Texas (I guess that will be me)
5 - $25 (my donation)

So, we just need to propose the 3 directors. I think giving them the positions of President, Secretary and Treasurer is a good idea.
We should have elections to select or renew the directors every 1 or perhaps 2 years.
By the way, I propose Jim as president  ;)

One great thing is that with the internet the membership can be consulted and directly participate in the major decisions of the association.

PS: Note that we will be a non-profit but not tax-exempt.

CUPER

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2014, 11:52:09 PM »

q ue tal tao cuper zaludarte ..yo estoy dispuesto me gusta mucha la idea de la azoziazion...en que puedo aportar...

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2014, 10:40:17 AM »

Great to have you posting Cuper!

Sin duda vamos a necesitar tu ayuda en el futuro. Por ahora todavía estamos elaborando el reglamento y buscando una estructura. En general, vamos a buscar un representante y eventualmente una asociación que represente a cada país en un consejo internacional. Pero en el caso de México estimo que vamos a tener que hacer algo especial.

CUPER

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2014, 07:13:49 PM »

lizto TAO JIM MEXICO ESTOY ALA ORDEN UN ABRAZO A TODO EL FORO.......

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA Jr.
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2014, 10:15:24 AM »

un abrazo para ti