iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Top Naming  (Read 3012 times)

MarkHayward

• ITSA
    • www.markhayward.net
Top Naming
« on: October 23, 2014, 04:10:19 PM »

Do we have a standard for which tops get a personalized name? My 10 inch top is named Chubby, and I know that Alan Gray individually named all of his biggest tops, but I also know that there are some tops made by other people that are smaller than 10 inches with names.

yollector

Re: Top Naming
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 04:29:43 PM »

We have The Big top that Alan made down at the
National yoyo museum named the Great Bambino.
     We lost a White Nectorine tree in our back yard
so I turned a large top out of the Wood.
   So I named it :::::::::::: The :::::::::::::::::::::
Great Nectorino !!!
           RFC

« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 11:18:47 PM by ta0 »

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 05:01:44 PM »

The Great Nectorino!  That is funny.  I like that.  Thanks for the laughs.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 06:44:15 PM »

The only standard in the US is that they always seem to get masculine names. I am sure in France it would be another story.

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 06:47:58 PM »

its my opinion that any top, mass produced or otherwise, has a distinctive personality and should be treated as an entity onto itself. that being said i think that its sort of a show of respect to the top to give it a name that you "feel" is right for it. the exception to that rule is if you buy a top from a craftsmen like mr. watts or johnM and say theyve already given the top a name lets say, in that case i would say it would be inappropriate for the buyer to rename the top. any top big or small like any person short or tall deserves a name @-@.......imho
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 07:05:35 PM by Jack »

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 06:51:40 PM »

The only standard in the US is that they always seem to get masculine names. I am sure in France it would be another story.

i named a top "marble cake" once...........@-@............it really looked like marble cake i wanted to eat it, but then i drilled the hole wrong and "marble cake" aka "cupcake" was exiled to the wilderness of the dud pile....................r.i.p "marble cake"  :'(  in canada we name as we please

Dick Stohr

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 05:04:55 PM »

You can see from my avatar that "NFO" got its name when Alan put my "Naval Flight Officer" wings decal on the crown and made the lower part to look like the shield in the middle of the wings.
Practice hard and play safe.

johnm

• Ultrahero member
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2014, 08:19:25 PM »

From the thread about Mike's Brutus top by Alan Gray (link = Red Oak Top )
Spinningray said
I generally only name the really big tops. You are welcome to give it a name. The owner generally picks the name anyhow.

Plus a name makes it easier to blame the top for broken stuff.  ::)

poptop

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
  • top dropper
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2014, 08:21:52 PM »

I've named most of the tops I've made (not so many yet).  Don't always remember the names, but eventually I find that I wrote them down or labeled a flikr photo...helpful reminders.  One of my first and favorite names for an early softwood top I turned is "Lump"  The best plastic top (about 4-5") I've turned I call the Chimignanga.   The Albino Unicorn is now a thing too...and the Taquito.

I've asked Alan to someday make make a big top for me--I pre-named it Vertigo (so shotgun on that name) :)

Hoping mine will be blue and white barber-pole.   Thought this was fitting name and scheme--in theme with Figaro and Hypno too.

I do loves me some big top...
Erratic Wobbler