iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: football connections to top spinners  (Read 5265 times)

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
football connections to top spinners
« on: September 14, 2014, 09:40:32 PM »

It is that time of the year when so much publicity and news centers around football.  I enjoy some of it but it can become overwhelming.  To break some of that I have been enjoying thinking about certain top spinners when a football team is mentioned.

For example, from our recent top fest here in Miamisburg I have the following connections...........
Alabama - the Hickersons
Georgia Tech - Kirk and Rachel
Buffalo - Jim Neff
Rutgers? - Larry D.
Cincinnati - johnm and Waxy Axle
Ohio State - John Buechele and Mike Hout

I am interested in some more connections.  Maybe you would like to share a team you like that is near you?  I am thinking Dick Stohr is a Virginia Tech fan and Washington in the pro ranks.  I connect Dale and Val Oliver to SMU or Dallas in the pros.  ta0 keeps me guessing as I think of the San Antonio Spurs basketball team with him and maybe University of Texas in the college football ranks.

Do you have any teams near you that you follow or see yourself connected with?
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
Re: football connections to top spinners
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 04:32:07 AM »

Driving home today I heard a radio interview with the coach of the Iowa State Cyclones.  Sounds like people were pretty excited that they beat their instate rival, the Iowa Hawkeyes.  Go Cyclones.

Always got to cheer for a team with a cyclone mascot!!!

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 11:15:19 PM »

Announcers are always talking about the Buffalo Bills and their 2-0 start.  I chuckle to myself and see JNeff smiling while his hometown team is winning!

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 10:58:37 AM »

Thanks to Top-ologist it looks like I will be cheering for BU in the coming months......but not for their football team.  They have a number of sports and are top notch with their ice hockey team but in the late 90's they decided to get out of the football business. 

Thanks to this thread, I learned quite a bit about the difference between Boston University and Boston College.  I almost made the fatal mistake of thinking Top-ologist was at BC!!!  I know so little about Boston and the surrounding area but I am trying to educate myself about it all.

Anyway, go Boston University Terriers!

Dick Stohr

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 02:21:40 PM »

In the interest of completeness: Bev & I are from Cincinnati; She graduated from Ohio Univ, I from Cincy; I am retired from the US Navy; we live in the DC area; our sons graduated from Va Tech, Mary Washington, & Univ of Dayton. So we spread our loyalties around. Looking froward to MLB playoffs (Go Nats) and Hockey Go Caps plus DC United.
Practice hard and play safe.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 04:47:46 PM »

Thinking a lot about Neff and his Buffalo Bills.  Looks like that stadium and the whole town is really snowed under.  Wonder how his outdoor top spinning is going?

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2015, 02:10:16 AM »

Just finished texting with Mike Hickerson after the big Alabama/Ohio State game.  Wow, what a battle.  We are all stunned that OSU won after watching all great plays by Alabama all year.  The OSU coach says he has never coached such a close unit and a group that has improved so much in one season.  That really showed in the game tonight.

Now it is on to an Oregon/Ohio State clash.  Sadly, there are no spinners in Oregon (that I know of) to joke with about the game.  Arghhh.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2015, 07:11:55 PM »

On a lighter note (since all the NSTR posts lately have had death involved in one way or another), I am heading out in an hour to go to my son's house to watch the Ohio State buckeyes battle the ducks from Oregon.  I am not allowed to throw tops in his little TV room with the big screen television, so I am going to do something NSTR and take my kendama.  I feel a little dirty about that but....

The Hickerson's will get a laugh out of this.  The announcer on ESPN this morning was highlighting the big national championship game tonight with Oregon against Alabama!!!  Then he caught himself and apologized.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2015, 10:52:07 AM »

Congrats to the Buckeyes for winning the inaugural college (American)football playoffs title!

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2018, 08:40:12 AM »

It is now 2018 and I fell asleep with Georgia in control and leading the national championship game by a bunch.  I was surprised when I woke up this morning to hear Alabama pulled the game out by substituting in a freshman quarterback.  And they won despite two missed field goals!!!  Congrats to our Alabama friends and especially Eli who wears that Bama hat all the time.

JNeff

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2018, 03:58:54 PM »

Elbert Dubinion...The Golden Wheels. Yes our city was excited about our Buffalo Bills and our first playoffs in 18 years. Andy Dalton was Canonized in Buffalo. We almost took it to Jacksonville but we are still missing a few parts. No top top spinning outside right now. Although whip tops on ice sounds interesting.
If its worth doing.....its worth overdoing

Eli Hickerson

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2018, 09:17:57 PM »

It was a great game although I wasn't too happy through most of it. My only hope was that if the falcons can blow the lead they had in Super Bowl then maybe Georgia would do the same. After the missed field goal that should of won it and Tua getting sacked for a loss of 16 yards I had just about lost all hope but then God smiled on the crimson tide and they pulled it out. The stores are sold out of hats so I don't have one yet but I'll definitely be getting one soon to add the collection.

Turegano

• ITSA Jr.
  • Turegano
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2018, 10:07:55 AM »

in mexico la Caribean Trompo League by Fernando Turegano Team
 CAN YOUR CONNECTION BE IN MEXICO WE ARE ALSO FRIENDLY TO THE NFL
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 10:10:22 AM by Turegano »

TROMPO MEXICO

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2018, 11:01:58 AM »

Of course, Turegano.  Who is your favorite NFL team?  Maybe I should ask about who is your favorite college team?  Probably I should really ask what are your favorite soccer teams?

Turegano

• ITSA Jr.
  • Turegano
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2018, 11:49:59 PM »

49 NINERS   4 EVER   AND  IN ME COUNTRY   HAVE ONE COLLEGE LEAGE ME FAVORITE IS CONDORES TEAM  UNAM
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up