iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: The Guinness World Record for most people throwing a top  (Read 13952 times)

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
Re: The Guinness World Record for most people throwing a top
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2012, 10:58:59 AM »

Mark Hayward will be in town this weekend and we are planning an announcement at our St. Jacob yo-yo day.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2012, 07:05:43 PM »

Mark Hayward will be in town this weekend and we are planning an announcement at our St. Jacob yo-yo day.
I think the Guinness record attempt will make it a very special festival.  Argg . . . I don't know how could I justify one more spintop trip this year, but I would hate to miss it . . .

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2012, 03:55:43 AM »

There is more than a good chance that we will not be able to get the record.  Yet, I think this is the time we should go for it.  Even if we fail we will still have the record for the state of Ohio......or the record for the most tops spun east of the Mississippi!  I wouldn't book a flight right now with the idea that you will be part of a record.  I will post about how our progress is going.  The Silver Dollar City folks had almost 250 people ready to spin but they only got 192.  250 sounds even more imposing for this little town and our little festival!!!

Hopefully, even if we come up short, we will be able to regroup and try again next year with the large group of spinners we have assembled as a starting point.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2012, 06:55:17 PM »

After talking with Mark Hayward about this he did some research and found where Mani Limited organized an event in Hong Kong and they had 377 people spinning tops at the same time.  Could this be the same record as what Roy Campbell and his crowd did in Silver Dollar City near Branson?

In my mind this hardly seems the same as I am sure the 377 spinners were using Beyblades.  Mani Limited is a company that makes and sells those kind of tops.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2012, 07:17:47 PM »

You are very likely right, Mike. You should say: "World record of number of people spinning at top with a string."  It would not exclude everything else, but at least it would leave out beyblades, finger tops, plunge tops, etc.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2012, 07:52:33 PM »

I wonder if Guinness would accept the "tops thrown with string" record.  Maybe we should just go for 378 with finger spinners?

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2012, 12:38:08 PM »

I have been thinking about this again.  There are now a number of people in these parts that are pretty good with finger spinners.  It wasn't very hard to get 90 top spinning at our talent show.  I would love to have some kind of "big moment" at our top festival on August 25th.  Getting more than 378 tops spinning at the same time could be it.  We would only need 13 people spinning 30 each or 19 people spinning 20 each.

Maybe we should also go for the most "tops thrown with string" record but that might be better for another year?

Maybe some year we can have Jim come over and lead a contest based on his new rules?

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2012, 06:28:32 PM »

The finger tops are a very achievable goal for this year.  I doubt I can go this year, but perhaps next year I can join you for the tops thrown with string record . . .

johnm

• Ultrahero member
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2012, 08:36:05 PM »

This looks useful for your 'with a string' attempt. (posted on flickr, tops from Can Cels)

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2012, 05:47:23 AM »

I love that picture!  Thanks johnm.

Thanks also to ta0 for being supportive and keeping the Miamisburg fest in mind. 

Watts' Tops

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
    • www.wattstops.com
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2012, 06:57:43 PM »

What is the date for the big spin.  Am trying to put it on our summer calendar.  Not possible in July.  August? ???
Watts' Tops
Prov. 3:5-6

poptop

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
  • top dropper
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2012, 08:07:25 PM »

That is a nice photo.  :)
Erratic Wobbler

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2012, 08:10:28 PM »

Thanks for asking, Watts' Tops.  Our event is the 25th of August.  That is a Saturday.  We will be out there from 5pm-8pm just north of the Baum Opera House in historic downtown Miamisburg. 

I bought 50 more Toysmith tops today.  I talked to the store people about how long it would take for them to make another order and they said about a week and a half.  I will buy them out and make them order more!!! 

czyoyo

• Ultrahero member
  • I am American but I live in Czech Republic.
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2012, 08:08:27 AM »

Do you have a high quality version of that picture of the different colored tops? That looks like a good desktop image! :)

johnm

• Ultrahero member
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2012, 06:41:01 AM »

Do you have a high quality version of that picture of the different colored tops? That looks like a good desktop image! :)

Just to eliminate any confusion, the picture is not mine.  Someone else posted it to Flickr and it has been added to the awesome Spinning Top group of Flickr which can be found here which is http://www.flickr.com/groups/673046@N21/pool/