iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: More boomerang woes....  (Read 6292 times)

mailman

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
More boomerang woes....
« on: August 15, 2014, 08:40:42 PM »

I don't know what to think.

I'm having the hardest time trying to learn the boomerang!  I was actually doing better at it when I first started trying it a few weeks ago than I am now.  It's discouraging to throw 30....40....50 throws in a row without any sort of success. 

Tonight I was having the top come back past me, arching way over my head, for my first few throws.  Then they were not coming back at all.  After 30 or more throws, I never got one to come back cleanly to my hand.

Most often, if it comes back at all, the top is wobbling badly on its axis and pointed off to the right, laying on its side.  There's no way to make a successful catch that way.  Often the top comes off of the string badly, making a fluttering noise.

I imagine there's many things I could be doing wrong; angle, timing, force applied, and who knows what.  I'd love a session one-on-one with someone who actually knows what they're doing.  I think that may be the only way I can figure this out.

I know there's no way I'm going to be satisfied throwing spinners and doing skyrockets forever.  I need to feel like I'm making progress.... :-[

Larry D.

• Hyperhero member
Re: More boomerang woes....
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 09:27:57 PM »

mailman,
Where are you located?
A forum member might be close to you.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 09:55:49 PM »

You are right.  You will not be satisfied with spinners to the ground and skyrockets forever! 

Hang in there.  I remember very well my early attempts to boomerang.  It was quite literally hit and miss.  I was guessing on my own and could not ever imagine hitting two in a row.  The whole process seemed to take me a long long time.

Is your string wind good and consistent?  The timing on when to pull back sounds like your other struggle.  You will get better with that.  Honest!

These are just a couple of things to consider.  Can you throw your top in an upside down frisbee?  Then can you put that frisbee on your hand and control it, moving it around and back to the center of the disc?  This will help you understand what to do when the top gets in your hand.

Wish I could be with you in person?  I am assuming you have looked at some videos.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

mailman

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 10:53:41 PM »

mailman,
Where are you located?
A forum member might be close to you.

Just west of Rochester, NY.  There may be top spinners around, but I don't know where to find them....

mailman

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 10:56:45 PM »

You are right.  You will not be satisfied with spinners to the ground and skyrockets forever! 

Hang in there.  I remember very well my early attempts to boomerang.  It was quite literally hit and miss.  I was guessing on my own and could not ever imagine hitting two in a row.  The whole process seemed to take me a long long time.

Is your string wind good and consistent?  The timing on when to pull back sounds like your other struggle.  You will get better with that.  Honest!

These are just a couple of things to consider.  Can you throw your top in an upside down frisbee?  Then can you put that frisbee on your hand and control it, moving it around and back to the center of the disc?  This will help you understand what to do when the top gets in your hand.

Wish I could be with you in person?  I am assuming you have looked at some videos.

I'm not sure if I could throw the top into a Frisbee on the ground.  But, controlling the top in my hand is a skill I'll only need IF the silly thing ever comes back.   :)

I've watched videos a-plenty, but I find I learn better one-on-one in real time....

Larry D.

• Hyperhero member
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 11:08:21 PM »

Just west of Rochester, NY.  There may be top spinners around, but I don't know where to find them....

You may be in luck, there are 2 members I can think of:

silvertop (Don) in Rochester and jrodriguez (Jason) in Geneva, NY

You might try sending them a PM if they don’t happen to see this posting.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 11:11:35 PM by Larry D. »

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 11:57:53 PM »

I have a strong hunch you are throwing down and not out.

mailman

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2014, 09:05:42 AM »

I have a strong hunch you are throwing down and not out.

I believe I may be.  I thought that's what I was seeing in the videos I've watched. 

I'll try throwing more "out", and less "down", as my first adjustment....

mailman

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2014, 09:08:28 AM »

This is great news!  Geneva is a bit of a drive, but I wonder if I could convince silvertop (hey!  My name is Don, too!) to come to one of our weekly juggling club meetings in Rochester.  We have 5 or 6 budding top spinners there, and could sure use some expertise....

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2014, 09:26:31 AM »

Don Olney would be thrilled to get an invitation to come to your meeting.  He is a big time supporter of top spinning and he will be excited to see all the spinners in his backyard.  And if you treat him kindly, someday he may take you to his secret stashes of tops.  It is mind boggling!!!

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2014, 01:43:54 PM »

I'm not sure if I could throw the top into a Frisbee on the ground.  But, controlling the top in my hand is a skill I'll only need IF the silly thing ever comes back.   :)
50 throws to get 1 to the hand is just about what it took me. But that was AFTER I could consistently hit a Frisbee target or a particular tile on the kitchen floor. I also think that you need the skill to control the top in you hand before catching the boomerang.  I was fortunate be able to watch a friend easily catch tops with extreme amounts of lean (more that 45 degrees).

Target shooting also will force you to develop consistent winding and throwing methods. To avoid the fluttering issue, be sure the knot is far enough down away from the crown (near the wide part of the top) and that you have plenty of tension from the crown wrap to the tip (a firm pull but not a gorilla pull)

* Start with the target at the natural distance from your feet. (Where your spinners land) Put the target to your left near the same line as your toes (opposite for lefties). After you can hit 5 of 10 or better with a relaxed throw, then move to the next steps.
* As an exercise, pretend the the Frisbee is on a stool about knee high. With the higher aim, work on dropping the top straight down into the disk. This will require a moderate pull back.  Then put the Frisbee closer and closer until it is right in front of you. (Rachel says "Don't wear sandals.") Keep the same aim point and throw, but pull back more.   Since you can by this time drop the top at your feet move on to the next step.
* A minor adjustment to pull up more will bring the top to your hand. (Rachel says, "Remember to keep the same style of throw as when throwing a spinner to the ground. I found that I was unknowingly 'adjusting' something in my throw when trying for a boomerang, and the top kept coming back sideways.")
* There is a Huge satisfaction in getting the top to your hand even if it bounces out or leans to far to keep.
* The last critical steps are to have "soft hands". Relax and let your hand fall a bit to follow the top. Bend your knees as you catch. Otherwise you will have a nice top in your hand that just bounces off. (ask me how I know) Take a step or two to chase it down or catch with left hand if needed.
* Be sure to mix it up. Target far, Target near, Boomerang attempt, skyrocket, scoop, use a power spinner for hand control practice.

I was asked, "What is your favorite trick?" After some thought I decided that it is the boomerang. It was very hard for me to learn. It makes you look like a great expert. It is the gateway to almost all other tricks.

Have fun, be persistent, let us know how you are progressing.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 01:49:56 PM by Kirk »

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2014, 01:53:03 PM »

Come to Miamisburg for coaching. Only 479 miles from Rochester and lots of fun!

mailman

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2014, 10:20:48 PM »

50 throws to get 1 to the hand is just about what it took me. But that was AFTER I could consistently hit a Frisbee target or a particular tile on the kitchen floor. I also think that you need the skill to control the top in you hand before catching the boomerang.  I was fortunate be able to watch a friend easily catch tops with extreme amounts of lean (more that 45 degrees).

Target shooting also will force you to develop consistent winding and throwing methods. To avoid the fluttering issue, be sure the knot is far enough down away from the crown (near the wide part of the top) and that you have plenty of tension from the crown wrap to the tip (a firm pull but not a gorilla pull)

* Start with the target at the natural distance from your feet. (Where your spinners land) Put the target to your left near the same line as your toes (opposite for lefties). After you can hit 5 of 10 or better with a relaxed throw, then move to the next steps.
* As an exercise, pretend the the Frisbee is on a stool about knee high. With the higher aim, work on dropping the top straight down into the disk. This will require a moderate pull back.  Then put the Frisbee closer and closer until it is right in front of you. (Rachel says "Don't wear sandals.") Keep the same aim point and throw, but pull back more.   Since you can by this time drop the top at your feet move on to the next step.
* A minor adjustment to pull up more will bring the top to your hand. (Rachel says, "Remember to keep the same style of throw as when throwing a spinner to the ground. I found that I was unknowingly 'adjusting' something in my throw when trying for a boomerang, and the top kept coming back sideways.")
* There is a Huge satisfaction in getting the top to your hand even if it bounces out or leans to far to keep.
* The last critical steps are to have "soft hands". Relax and let your hand fall a bit to follow the top. Bend your knees as you catch. Otherwise you will have a nice top in your hand that just bounces off. (ask me how I know) Take a step or two to chase it down or catch with left hand if needed.
* Be sure to mix it up. Target far, Target near, Boomerang attempt, skyrocket, scoop, use a power spinner for hand control practice.

I was asked, "What is your favorite trick?" After some thought I decided that it is the boomerang. It was very hard for me to learn. It makes you look like a great expert. It is the gateway to almost all other tricks.

Have fun, be persistent, let us know how you are progressing.

Thanks for all the pointers!  I can tell I have some work ahead of me....

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2014, 10:46:19 PM »

I can tell I have some work ahead of me....
EDIT: work fun

mailman

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2014, 09:29:17 AM »

I just sent silvertop (Don) a PM, inviting him to visit us at our juggling club some Sunday.  I hope he's able to make it!
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up