iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: From worlds in Prague  (Read 26398 times)

Otvirak

• (Bottle Opener, but abstinent)
Re: From worlds in Prague
« Reply #75 on: August 18, 2014, 09:57:22 AM »

great job!

Sabaspin

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #76 on: August 18, 2014, 10:20:33 AM »

Really enjoyed reading and seeing pictures about Worlds. Thanks for all reporting and pictures.
Congrats to all participants.

Corkscrew Challenge and Staircase to Heaven videos= Crazy Awesome!

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #77 on: August 19, 2014, 07:22:44 PM »

I have thought about this many times and still get chuckles from it...

>there were very few people around older than me???  It was funny that when I got out of stage the announcer
>asked me how old I was and seemed surprised I could still play. I wish I had had time to finish the routine as I
>wanted, by jumping the top  :D

...yes, I wish you could have shown the announcer your big finish.  He would have flipped.  I wish Dale would have picked up a top and showed him a thing or two.

Actually, in my humble opinion, there are not too many reasons why an older player cannot keep going with freestyles.  From the track and field angle, things that leave a person as they age include: speed (often this is first), jumping ability (often next), flexibility (slowly slips away), endurance (can be delayed in many ways) and strength (often one of the last things to slip away).  Coordination doesn't seem to slip too quickly, either.  I am wondering which one of those items would keep one from freestyling as they age?  Hand tremors could be a  problem and eyesight too but it still seems to me that freestyling could be done effectively for quite some time in one's life.  I kind of hope to be one of many to experiment with this idea!!!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 07:26:50 PM by the Earl of Whirl »
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #78 on: August 19, 2014, 09:28:23 PM »

Because the main thing to be a good player is practice and the more time you have been playing the more hours you have under your belt, there may not be a decline with age until you get hit with serious problems like arthritis or something like that. I hope I'll be in freestyling shape for a long time to come, whether I do it or not.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #79 on: August 21, 2014, 03:34:08 PM »

I think I remember vaguely Jakub mentioning that he visited the Toy Museum in Prague and that there were no tops except some pull tops (but I could not find that post, so I may be wrong). Anyways, just by chance I passed by the entrance of the museum and I had to go in and check it for myself.

My first search through the two floors did not find any spintop (not even a finger top or a pump top) or yo-yo (!), and just one wooden diabolo (but 500 barbies)!  So I went to receptionist/cashier and asked her if there were no tops on display. She did not take me seriously (gave me a card for a toy shop) until I mentioned I was a collector: then her eyes opened wide and she proudly took me to a display I had missed:

Two pull tops and one whip top. That is it. The only description says: "The Victorian Singing Spring-Tops originate from the end of the 19th century."

Talking about museums, by a few minutes I missed the opportunity of feeling like a top. More precisely the Coriolis force at the Palace of Discovery museum in Paris. Better than to describe it, here is a video I found in youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjVB0wgTvrk

After the demonstration finished I talked to the presenter and did several spintop demos (including gyroscopic flop) using the Chico top I (still) had with me. I suggested that I had some friends in Paris who could give a demo, but he said that would not fit the museum program. But he was interested in learning some tricks for the mechanical demonstrations, so he wrote down my website. I had been there on a previous visit to Paris and that time I talked to the a guy doing a demonstration with magnetic induction. I did a boomerang with the hollow point and described to him how it could be used to show induction although he did not have at hand an adequate magnet to do it. I love the place but again did not have time to see as much as I wanted (I had to run for my appointment with Ludo that never happened) so I will be back one day.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 03:36:20 PM by ta0 »

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #80 on: August 22, 2014, 12:48:08 PM »

hi all, salut Jorge !
now i'm back and i have a lot to catch up with..
thanx for the reports and photos
all the anecdotes  give a thrill
more comments after reading the whole lot

'soon

jim
"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #81 on: September 02, 2014, 10:59:05 AM »

Richy wrote to me yesterday saying that:
I got on my computer today and went to my home page MSN and saw a article that said there are Championships for all hobbys / it had video of the Worlds 2014 / I clicked on it  and THERE YOU WERE !

I searched for it and could not find that one, but I suspect it is based on this video I found on the uk version of msn. I think they chose the right freestyles to highlight, don't you think Jan?  ;D

http://video.uk.msn.com/watch/video/yo-yo-world-championships/vccxna2p

yollector

« Reply #82 on: September 02, 2014, 10:43:17 PM »

Yep,
 That's the same one I tried to tell you about .
Glad you found it / RFC
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up