iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: From worlds in Prague  (Read 16644 times)

yollector

Re: From worlds in Prague
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2014, 04:53:29 PM »

It was great to see Jorge in the mix.
  Good job to all !!!
            RFC

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2014, 04:55:26 PM »

Thanks for posting the results.  Because of poor reception, I have not been able to see the videos yet.  I am anxious to view them but until then....congratulations to Tyler Young.  He has always been so close.  It is good to see him with a win!!!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2014, 07:16:18 PM »

What a great day!
Tyler was magnificent on the freestyle! I don't remember if it was Val or Dale who commented that is like he has developed a new style of play. And watching him sing the whole freestyle is just a treat to w atch. Daniel gave him real competition with a faboulus routine. And Jakub floored me when he did the Vortex trick (horizontal corkscrew), a trick that when I created I thought nobody would ever do in a contest. I need to watch the video of my routine but I was generaly happy with it. Missing the first trhow was tough but in the end I could hit several (but I ran out of time for the grand finale). After 5 years not competing I had flashbacks to the old times. It was fun.

We had many short target battles with 3 or 4 different rules and 7 or 8 players in the circle. They were lots of fun and we should have more tomorrow. But I suspect what will become spintop lore was the top whipping with my smaller Chinese whip top. Let suffice for now to say that I have a pice of glass for the Hall of Fame Shame. :-X

Tomorrow morning we'll have the corkscrew challenge. I have heard of some numbers done in practice out of this world . . .

The weather in Prague is perfect and the city looks beautiful.

Shootist

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2014, 02:19:01 AM »

Thanks JohnM for the Link to the Spin-top competition.

I really enjoyed watching the Spin-top Video performances at Worlds. Every Contestant did a Great Job with their routines. Tyler Young's performance was truly amazing to watch.

Eli and I miss not being able to come to Worlds. However, we enjoy reading the posted reports on this forum. Eli is interested in the Corkscrew Challenge and he is curious if anybody will beat 15 arm wraps.

Good Luck with the Corkscrew Challenge.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 02:34:10 AM by Shootist »

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2014, 02:40:18 AM »

hello Jorge
 thanks for the report

i haven't seen the routines yet,
but your description is mouth watering

keep up the good fun ; save some NRG for Ludo on tuesday (we'll talk on the phone..)

bye and BRAVO to you all 8) 8) 8)

jim
"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2014, 08:38:56 AM »

As we drove through the main drag, there was no top spinning action in Myrtle Beach last night.  All eyes are squarely on Prague!!!  Yet, there seemed to be something in the air.  I noticed a Tao massage sign on a building and I chuckled to myself.  Then we went by Kirk's ice cream shop and I did a double take.  Just a few minutes later we went by another Kirk's ice cream shop.  I thought that maybe I should keep a closer look.  Sure enough, there was Young photography.  What next, I wondered.  Then I saw the Cirque Italia tent and immediately thought of Maurizio.

I began considering what I may have missed in Myrtle Beach.  With google, it did not take long to see that they have a Tiki Jim's t-shirts, Neff's rentals, Larry's auto care and Rick's Elvis tribute band.  Sorry, I have not found anything connected with Konechny, Kloubec or Slezac.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 10:30:42 AM by the Earl of Whirl »

dazzlingdave

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
    • dazzlingdave.com
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2014, 10:07:53 AM »

Great video footage.

Just when I start to think I am getting pretty good at tops, I have to see someone who is really good to put me back in my place. I will call it inspiration, and get back to work on it!

YodaGuy5

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2014, 10:25:34 AM »

Congrats CZ!!!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Corkscrew challenge results
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2014, 06:29:42 PM »

Corkscrew challenge: the old record was broken not once, not twice, not 3, not 4, not 5, but 6 times!!!I could not make 14, Jakub lost at 16, Daniel lost at 20, and Tyler did the bonus establishing the new spintop corkscrew record at 21!! Actually, extra-officialy he did 22! So he will keep the Jim Boehm trophy for (at least) one more year.

kevinm

« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2014, 06:32:24 PM »

Congrats CZ indeed! that was awesome.
there are some really great still photos linked from the yoyonews page of day two, that include lots of yo-yo stuff, and some
very good spin top photos, check it out:

http://www.worldyoyocontest.com/2014worlds/photoreport-day-2/

Watts' Tops

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
    • www.wattstops.com
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2014, 06:39:38 PM »

What as delight to watch part of the top spinning contest live.  WOW!!!! 
Watts' Tops
Prov. 3:5-6

johnm

• Ultrahero member
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2014, 08:30:22 PM »

How about an equipment report?

How much stage time did the one-way bearing get in the contest?  fixed tip?  any pure bearing at all?

Which tops were used for the corkscrew contest?  How long was the string?  How many more wraps could the string accommodate?  What is the smallest diameter of the record setting arm?

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2014, 02:29:02 AM »

wow just watched the video  :o that was some amazing stuff there guys well done, and congratulations on 1st tyler watching your performance blew my mind  ;)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2014, 02:49:13 AM »

How about an equipment report?

How much stage time did the one-way bearing get in the contest?  fixed tip?  any pure bearing at all?

Which tops were used for the corkscrew contest?  How long was the string?  How many more wraps could the string accommodate?  What is the smallest diameter of the record setting arm?
Tyler used an STB2, the rest Gulias (I was going to use a Chico 2.0 but Maurizio offered me a Gulia with a new bearing ;) ). The arms present were of the skinny variety, what is an advantage. Tyler was the only one to put talc on his arm. But I think the most important factor on the high numbers besides skill was the use of custom made string that was easier to manage (we all finished using Tyler's). He basically run out of string as 23 was the maximum it could have barely accomodated. Maurizio brought a bottle of sparkling wine to celebrate but the two highest scorers are under age and could  not drink  :P We did the challenge in a place with a lot of yoyoer traffic so we had lots off public stopping to watch. Jan was the only other player who dared to enter so we started with 8 wraps.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 03:08:05 AM by ta0 »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2014, 03:04:03 AM »

Talking about under age . . . The final party was at a very nice place by the river. We even had a huge fireworks display just for us from a barge floating in front!  :o :o :o  8) 8) But the organizers did not realize that players under 18 would not be allowed in! >:(
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »   Go Up