iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: top spinning at the IJA fest at Purdue University in West Lafayette, Indiana  (Read 19981 times)

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page

I was sure to put "top spinning" in the title so there would be no confusion about whether this would be a NSTR thread or a Latest Spin thread.  Yes, we are going to a juggling festival.  Yes, there will be a lot of other activities there.  Yes, there will be no mention of top spinning in the program.  Yet, this will most definitely be a top spinning gathering!!!

Life is getting crazy for me as I try to leave town (it always seems to be this way) so I am starting this thread as a way to relax a bit and dream in the middle of all the other stuff going on around me.  Thank you to one and all who contribute to this.

I am starting to get excited about hanging out with Jim Neff and Mark Hayward.  They both make me smile and laugh.  I am hoping to get to spend some time with lincolnrick.  I am also hoping to find some other "unknown and new" top spinners in the world.  If all goes well, I will have a lot to report.   Actually, even if there is not much to report about I will probably make something up because I will need to sit and rest on occasion and would like to spend some time as a roving correspondent during those moments.

So it is back to work but I do so with a twinkle in my eye, full of hopes and dreams of what lies ahead in the coming week.  FYI, I will be in the office on Monday morning and finishing up last minute details that afternoon.  If all goes well I will be there Monday evening and staying through Thursday.  I hate to miss Friday and Saturday (the most exciting days) but I am happy to be able to be there for more than one day.  Don't ask me where I am staying as I do not know.  That is part of the adventure!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com

I am sure you are going to have lots of fun! I can visualize you trying Jim's cornucopia of kongzhus/monobolos. I bet you will not go unnoticed in the festival!   >:D

I look forward to the reports.

lincolnrick

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member

Mike, I'm looking forward to seeing you in Lafayette, as well as Mark and Jim and any other spinners that appear.   8)  Looks like our paths will cross only for a bit more than a day though.  I'm arriving Wed. late afternoon and will stay for the rest of the fest.  Like you said, the best shows are Fri/Sat, besides that's the weekend!! 

I'll leave the reporting up to you (you know how to keep it interesting), I'll just try to stay out of the way.

Till we meet in Lafayette.

rick

JNeff

• ITSA
  • Gold Member

Wow, I'm really looking forward to seeing everyone at Purdue....Mike , Mark, Rick and hopefully others. I arrive Monday evening and should be spinning there for the duration. Mike..hopefully we have many converts.
If its worth doing.....its worth overdoing

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member

Yippee!!!  Monday night seems like the time that the gathering starts.  Thanks for posting JNeff.

Rick, you are so funny.  I love to hear your take on things.  Please report with me.  Maybe it can be a tag team, like wrestling?  Since I will not be there on Friday or Saturday we definitely need your comments about those days.

I am one step closer to getting there as I now have a funeral behind me (it wasn't so bad as she was 88 and had been struggling lately).  Hopefully I can get some more work done today (for while I am away) and then get through the worship services tomorrow.  Thanks for everyone's comments.  It sure helps me to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

mailman

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member

It's been a few years since I've attended an IJA festival, but I have attended several over the years.  They are always a good time!

I am a long time juggler, but only (re)discovered spin tops recently.  I have never had the opportunity to spin tops at an IJA fest.  I hope you have a great time, and look forward to hearing all about it....

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member

Great to hear from you, mailman.  Where are you located?

I finally got out of town.  I am an hour on the road and in Indiana!  Yippee.  I hope to see Jim Neff tonight.  I just went by Sheldon's fireworks in Richmond.  They say they are the largest in the world.  Perhaps this a prelude to the fireworks that will be happening around Jim's equipment bag this week?

mailman

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member

Great to hear from you, mailman.  Where are you located?

I'm just west of Rochester, New York.  I'm a long time member of the Rochester Juggling Club, and have been attending the RIT Juggle-In for over 25 years.  Last year I encountered top spinners there for the first time, and my interest was captured (thanks, ta0!).

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member

Ahhh, THAT mailman.  Thanks for the info and once again, welcome.

I arrived safely to the Purdue campus after a slight detour in Indianapolis.  I was looking for a break and thought of the Tip Top Tavern and good times there years ago.  Guess what?  It was closed.  And it looked like it had been closed for quite some time.  Rats.

The IJA feat is on wood basketball courts and the place was hopping already when I arrived.  It is going to be pretty tight in there later in the week.  Guess who was at the entrance door with a big suitcase of equipment?  Jim Neff!!!  We chatted then followed a crowd of people heading outside.  They were taking the unjuggable club challenge.  One was normal.  Another had sand in the handle.  The third had a heavy weight in it.  No one could do the required 15 throws.  The closest was 8 or 9.  David Cain calmly picked up his clubs and juggled them cleanly for over 30 throws!!!

Jim and his roommate headed out to their hotel while I walked the outer ring of the room and checked out what was for sale.  There are a number of vendors there already!  Then I headed out to find a place to crash.  I think it is best to start the week out with a good night's sleep.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 10:58:49 PM by the Earl of Whirl »

lincolnrick

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member

Mike,glad to hear you and Jim have arrived safely and intact.  I hope it's not to tight for some spinners!  Any hallways available?  At one fest, Mark and I scrounged a mat that was almost big enough for the top folks and protected the floors as well.  You might ask around.  Anyway, keep us posted, I'm on the road tomorrow and hope to arrive around dinner time. 

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com

You are the best top reporter! The board should sponsor your trips so you can report back  ;D

You are going to have a blast with Jim's bags of props!

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member

Ahhh, I had a good night of sleep and was ready to go today.  Good thing, because I saw Jim as soon as I walked in again.  He is everywhere!  He has also made a mark in the Rochester juggling club.  Mike Levy reports that his group hardly juggles any more.  They throw tops the whole time!!!

I watched a pair tossing 11 rings very smoothly.  I saw a guy balancing on his hands upside down on a chair.  I saw two guys passing 14 balls, bouncing them back and forth.  But none of that garnered the attention Jim draws when he pulls out his bag of tops.  Whew!!!  Where do I start?  Maybe in another post as I am getting distracted here and I do not want to lose what I have.

Thanks for your kind words about the posts.  Honestly, I have to pace myself and reporting is a good use of my sitting time.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 12:43:24 AM by the Earl of Whirl »

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member

Good news.  There will be a break out session for top spinning at 3pm tomorrow (Wednesday).  Bad news.  Mark Hayward will not be here until Friday.  I think I will miss him!

How do you say spinning top in Russian?  That is what we were asked by Anna from Russia who now lives in Houston.  She is caught up in the spinning bug.  "Where is your friend" she asked me when Jim stepped out for a bit.  She obviously cannot wait for him to open his equipment bag again.

His bag is really "bags".  There have to be three dozen smaller tops in one carrying case.  Another large suitcase seems to have larger wood tops.  Another large bag has metal contraptions.  Yet another has mostly diabolos and kongzhus.  That appears to be most of his stuff but I may be missing some smaller bags.

mailman

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member

Ahhh, I had a good night of sleep and was ready to go today.  Good thing, because I saw Jim as soon as I walked in again.  He is everywhere!  He has also made a mark in the Rochester juggling club.  Mike Levine reports that his group hardly juggles any more.  They throw tops the whole time!!!

Hahaha!  Mike Levy is my juggling partner, going back almost 20 years!  He has been just a bit put out by my recent interest in top spinning, but I got him throwing some tops, and I think he may be hooked.  He told me he would be checking the vendors to see if he could buy himself one to bring home.  If you see him again, tell him I said "Hi!"....

lincolnrick

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member

Good news.  There will be a break out session for top spinning at 3pm tomorrow (Wednesday).  Bad news.  Mark Hayward will not be here until Friday.  I think I will miss him!

If Marks not there are you the lead in the top breakout?  I'm afraid I'll just miss it by a couple of hours.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 »   Go Up